webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > SkyOrb
SkyOrb
Like Tree1Likes

Old 10/12/2010, 01:12 PM   #21 (permalink)

Latest email from dev:
Hello
Thanks for your feedback.
Here a few history of what's going on with the MPC/TLE:

* Previous version: We figured out that in some occasion, the download from the server of the Two Line element (NORAD), and MPC (IAU Minor Planet) would corrupt, leading a crash at startup. Because the SDK doesn't provide a 'safe' HTML data uploading (as for the iPhone version), we had to write it in 'low' level code. As we were using a good Wifi hotspot for testing, we didn't notice that case.

* Current version: We fixed the loading with some retries also, if the program was crashing, it will possible to restart the app, ignoring the previously downloaded MPC/TLE (the 'safe' mode). When downloading the MPC again, the MPC data will be marked as 'valid'. As we were testing from a clean install, we didn't notice that.

However, after downloading, the MPC was not updated immediately (especially if the application has previously crashed).

* Next version (coming this week) : We have fixed the program to synchronise the MPC data right after loading. (no need to restart). We are doing more tests to ensure that's everything work correctly before submitting. Also add few enhancements. I think this will be submitted tonight and will be available thursday and friday.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/13/2010, 01:52 AM   #22 (permalink)

This just in(from dev):
Hi;
Update 1.3.7 submitted. Include final fix for MPC/TLE, display the number of elements loaded, search page can scroll, fix the hidden button in full screen page.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/13/2010, 10:00 PM   #23 (permalink)

Just downloaded the update, everything appears to be working this time!

--Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
kbrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: sledge007
Old 10/13/2010, 10:17 PM   #24 (permalink)

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't even notice
Old 10/14/2010, 09:49 PM   #25 (permalink)

Looks cool, but I don't wanna spend the dough
AT&T|Palm Pre Plus

"Fact, bears, beets, BattleStar Galactica."- From "The Office", Jim impersonating Dwight
furygoalbrtis39#CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/15/2010, 01:33 AM   #26 (permalink)

worth the dough I assure you. Definately an app that you won't regret buying.
Old 11/07/2010, 12:26 AM   #27 (permalink)

I installed the SKYORB software and got the latest version 1.3.7. it runs smooth and haven't had any hangups yet! It is pretty basic sky program and has lots of room for future addons.

My wish list. Zoom out to a whole sky planetarium type view, Planet names are grey and hard to find on the display, it could use a night view, and the equatorial grid is hard to see.

Better documentation would be great too!.

I would like to see the screen rotate around the North Star or at least stay on the same declanation.

Just a few tweaks and this will be a great Sky program for WebOS!

It does use the current time and location of the phone. This can be entered manually too.

Last edited by extraclass; 11/07/2010 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Add stuff
extraclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2011, 08:37 AM   #28 (permalink)

The search function is broken:

* The orange button enters "3" instead of toggling the numeric buttons.
* Scrolling through searched options is just as likely to randomly select one as to scroll.

Also, app occasionally freezes entire phone; remedy: battery removal & replacement.

(developer informed)
Tetenterre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2011, 05:54 PM   #29 (permalink)

Fun program. I like the link here to the user manual, very helpful. Funny when I scrolled through it, I saw the tiny town where I work (Lovelock, NV) listed in the locations. Is the developer from Nevada?
jkeitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2011, 02:14 PM   #30 (permalink)

A few things I'd like to see:

- The ecliptic
- Elevation/Azimuth grid (with adjustable grid spacing) rather than RA/Dec. I think the former is much better suited to casual observation.
- Is there any way to turn off the compass face on the horizon? I'd like to be able to see what's below the horizon.

I sent this list to support_2008 at realtech-vr dot com as well.

Regards,
Tom
TomJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/15/2011, 01:29 PM   #31 (permalink)

Version 1.5.12 released with HP Touch Pad support and bug fixes for Palm Pre.
vblack#WN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2011, 02:50 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vblack View Post
Version 1.5.12 released with HP Touch Pad support and bug fixes for Palm Pre.
I loaded this. It works well but it stops listening to the gyro at some point and goes into manual mode (on the TP).

I am hoping they make the DSO labels show up when it's zoomed out. Right now, you have to zoom way in before they show up. If you are looking at the sky to see what you might want to look at, you have to zoom in to the point that star hopping is nearly impossible. Then, when it goes into manual mode you have no idea where you are.

But, it's still a solid 3 out of 5. Add in BT serial for a telescope mount control (goto and sync) and fix the bugs and it's getting in the 5 out of 5 range.

Very nice and certainly worth the $3.
awats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2011, 01:35 PM   #33 (permalink)

I found this app pretty useless on the compass-lacking Pre, but it's pretty cool on the Touchpad. It's still sorely missing accelerometer/gyro support though, so while it will show you the stars in the direction you're looking, it doesn't react if you point it upwards or downwards if you want to know what the star above you is called, so you have to swipe and guess. A bummer. There have been a few updates though, so maybe this is still coming. I definitely hope so. Accelerometer support would make this awesome.
GodShapedHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2011, 08:51 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
I found this app pretty useless on the compass-lacking Pre
I wonder if it supports the compass on the Pre3?
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2011, 10:44 PM   #35 (permalink)

I'm having zero luck with getting the digital compass to work on my TouchPad. Any tips/tricks to get it to work? I've gone into settings and toggled it on and off a few times, but still no response to movement. Hopefully, accelerometer support will come soon as well.
Old 10/19/2011, 02:49 PM   #36 (permalink)

Email from dev:

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback.

> mentions that there's a digital compass which is supposed to turn the
> app as I physically turn my TouchPad. I have not been able to get this
> to work, and was wondering if you had some possible fixes, or if this
> is a known issue or whathaveyou.

It's easy.
1) Go to the local view (view of the sky)
2) Press the cross hair icon to unselect any star/planet (bottom of the screen should not have any selection).
3) Wait a bit. The digital compass will kick on and orientate.

> Secondly, will you please incorporate accelerometer support so when I
> point my TouchPad into the sky, it will show me what I'm looking at?

Unfortunately, the Touch Pad lack the gyroscope (it has only the accelerometer). We need Gyroscope and Accelerometer to provide an accurate altitude tracking, but I will confirm with HP if we can access on both (just to confirm). The iOS version has the feature, so it's feasible.

I will keep you informed about the progression of those request soon.

Sincerely;

From what I've read, there is supposed to be a gyroscope in the TouchPad. I don't know if there actually is or not, I haven't seen any apps that use it. Informed the developer of this possibility.
Old 10/19/2011, 03:27 PM   #37 (permalink)

Latest dev email

Quote:
According my contact to HP, it is possible to communicate with external GPS. So it will be done. I will get the Garmin GTU10 (the '10' device you have is discontinued) this week end. The feature will be also on Android.
Old 01/24/2012, 11:49 PM   #38 (permalink)

A bit of a dead thread as of late.

The recent update has full compass/gyroscope capabilities working now and just thought I'd pass on that this app is on par with Google Sky Maps now. It must be used in portrait for the compass to work properly. Not my favorite way to use my TouchPad, but at least this app is working awesome now.

Glad the support for our 'dead' platform is still coming on strong.
Old 01/26/2012, 10:49 PM   #39 (permalink)

I'm still on 3.0.2 and the latest 2 updates no longer work I'd like to add a 2gb Hipparchos, but there seems to be no way to do this. Very limited app, in any case.
Old 01/28/2012, 08:15 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
A bit of a dead thread as of late.

The recent update has full compass/gyroscope capabilities working now and just thought I'd pass on that this app is on par with Google Sky Maps now. It must be used in portrait for the compass to work properly. Not my favorite way to use my TouchPad, but at least this app is working awesome now.

Glad the support for our 'dead' platform is still coming on strong.
anyone else having compass problems? North and south are reversed for me, both in portrait and landscape. I checked the location and it is correct, also my compass app works flawlessly so does not seem to be hardware.

very frustrated because otherwise awesome planetarium software.
JeffyWho is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0