Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is the official page for my Homebrew How To! simple app.
    Changelog:
    • 1.0.0 Initial Release
    • 1.2.0 Completely redone scenes. Step-by-step guide.
    • 2.0.0 Added Featured Patches and Featured Apps sections and more images. Fixed some spelling errors too.
    • 2.0.1 Stored all images locally
    • 2.1.0 Streamlined app, added another featured patch
    • 2.2.0 Added Featured Themes. Added upgrade webOS upgrade instructions to Patches and Themes section. Added Changelog within app.
    • 2.5.0 Added PreCentral, webOSRoundup and webOSWorld profiles. Special thanks to Rod Whitby and webOS Internals in "Resources" section including Donation (to webOS Internals) link. Added Featured Apps: "Music Player (Remix)" and "Dr.Battery". Added Featured Patch: "Lite List Launcher". Added Featured Theme: "Glass Effect Suite". Various Optimizations.
    • 2.5.5 Fixes Spelling Errors littered throughout. Fixes icon. Added Background image in main scene. More images for the instructions.
    • 2.5.6 Added shortened URL links for PC use for webOS Doctor and Quick Install. Made e-mail link clickable in "Resources".Various other improvements.​

You can get the app here:Homebrew How To!

2.5.6 Has been submitted and should arrive in the App Catalog shortly.

Coming Soon:
    • More images for the instructions.
    • More apps, patches and themes.

Any suggestions by you guys is entirely welcome and encouraged.

----------------------------------------

Last edited by BdotR; 10/13/2010 at 04:12 AM.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    so...where is this app???? Regular App Catalog or in Preware feeds???
    I'm hoping its not just a homebrew app, that wouldn't seem...useful...haha
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by licotto View Post
    so...where is this app???? Regular App Catalog or in Preware feeds???
    I'm hoping its not just a homebrew app, that wouldn't seem...useful...haha
    Haha don't worry, it has been submitted for review and will hopefully show up in the App Catalog tomorrow or the next day.
    Somehow, it seems wrong to charge for this. I would have thought it would be free with a donation button. Course, it could just be late at night and I'm cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Somehow, it seems wrong to charge for this. I would have thought it would be free with a donation button. Course, it could just be late at night and I'm cranky
    in a way yr right,why would someone pay for info they can come to the forums and get for free?
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    I too think it's wrong to charge for this, unless the proceedings went to WebOS internals, which as far as I can see, they do not.

I hope no one purchases this and a free version is submitted.
    Old Kyocera Phone (pay as you go) > Motorola RAZR > Palm Centro > Palm Pre
    How many of the aps already in the catalog are just easier ways to get information that's freely available on Google?

Why give a dev a hard time for wanting something back for their work? Just because we know how to find all of this info here doesn't mean it's that easy for everyone.

Maybe I'm just grouchy tonight, but I'm tired of people complaining about apps, free or not. If you don't think it's worth the money, don't buy it. If it's free and you don't like the premise, don't download it. How hard is that?

Someone took the time to consolidate all the info - free info or not - that in itself is a service many people might find worth the buck or two they're charging.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    The dev took the time to organize material that does not jump right out at you here @ PreCentral. Why should he not be paid for his effort.
    Well put Spader... it's a free-market society and some people are willing to pay a buck or two for something that saves them some time. Nothing wrong with that
  10.    #10  
    I'm glad you've voiced your concerns on whether or not I should be able to charge for my app. However, I'm going to continue charging for it. It is a tool for newbies to get into it that I've taken the time to write up and charging for my skills and time doesn't seem too far fetched. I put a lot of my time into updating it as well so you get what you paid for and more. 99 cents is hardly too much in my opinion.
    Only problem is the developer doesn't even know the name of his own app..... :-)

http://www.precentral.net/app-galler...omebrew-how-to

Regardless of your view on the ethics the app may well help more webOS users come into the homebrew fold and thus get more satisfaction out of their Palm phone. That would be a great thing.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 10/08/2010 at 08:05 AM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Only problem is the developer doesn't even know the name of his own app..... :-)
    haha finally someone noticed! I changed the app name somewhere arouns 1.2.0 for reasons that have since escaped my memory.

as to the part about bringing more people into the homebrew fold. Those are my exact intentions. I wanted to create a beginners guide, a "webos homebrew for dummies" kind of guide. The more homebrewers, the better. Is it so wrong to capitalize on my effort?

anyway, I'm working on this app everyday adding new things to it, and I thrive on all your feedback, so if you guys have features you'd like to see added or even removed, don't hesitate to let me know.
    Better explanation of 'dangers' of Homebrew & overclocking. Perhaps a 'disclaimer' of some sort. Maybe a 'Not afilliated w/'?

... Maybe a name change? (i meant yours on PreCentral) Hard to take you serious with a name like anus.

Just saying..
    Last edited by JohnnyPre; 10/08/2010 at 08:01 AM.
    <<Thread Renamed>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
    Better explanation of 'dangers' of Homebrew & overclocking. Perhaps a 'disclaimer' of some sort. Maybe a 'Not afilliated w/'?

... Maybe a name change? (i meant yours on PreCentral) Hard to take you serious with a name like anus.

Just saying..
    There's a disclaimer in the Overclocking section and another one for using Quick Install.

As for the name change, there's nothing I want more haha. If there was a way, then I'd do it but I don't exactly want to make a new account because then I'd have to restart this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by anus1220 View Post
    There's a disclaimer in the Overclocking section and another one for using Quick Install.

As for the name change, there's nothing I want more haha. If there was a way, then I'd do it but I don't exactly want to make a new account because then I'd have to restart this thread.
    I've noticed other members here that got their name changed. Try PM'ing Berd or Dieter. I'm sure they have that kind of power.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    While it's great that you took the time to make this app, it seems to me that rwhitby from webOS Internals either has or is about to release basically the same thing. Maybe I'm mistaken as I really haven't looked at either app but from having a quick glance, I think o would rather give my money to Rod, whose spent umpteen kazillion hours making Preware, Internals etc what it is. TBH I probably won't get either app as I feel pretty comfortable with my level of knowledge, and I've already donated to webos-internals, but you never know, maybe once I take a look at both, maybe i'll find another reason to download either or both.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    The dev took the time to organize material that does not jump right out at you here @ PreCentral. Why should he not be paid for his effort.
    Indeed. If someone can charge $100 for an app that "does nothing" (well, $50 during the half-off sale), then I say let him charge whatever he wants.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    and if you're stupid enough to spend $100 on an app that advertises itself as 'this app does nothing', then I think they should have charged more.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    and if you're stupid enough to spend $100 on an app that advertises itself as 'this app does nothing', then I think they should have charged more.
    Make an app that does nothing and charge $200 for it. That will ruin the "prestige" of owning the $100 app and its users will download your app instead.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast