Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi All,
    I've written a London Underground status app, inventively called London Tube Service, that includes live departure boards for all the tube lines and the DLR. It's currently available as a beta which is fully functional until the end of October, by which time I'll hopefully have ironed out any remaining bugs and have it in the App Catalog. If you give it a try and you've got any feedback please leave comments here.

Since I've only had my Pre a few months and I've only been lurking here a bit without posting, I can't post any links (or screenshots..), so if someone could grab the Palm link to the app from webosapps[dot]posterous[dot]com and post it below I'd appreciate it .

Cheers,
    Chris.
    Hello

Thanks for developing a UK app

I can not seem to find it in the Palm Beta feed on Preware and for some reason the link above won't send a download link to my sms either
  3.    #4  
    Thanks for posting the link michael.schumacker .

leobloom: I didn't have it set to show up in the Palm RSS feeds (just direct links), so you wouldn't have been able to see it in Preware, I've just changed the setting so it will start showing up in the beta feed, I'm not sure how long it takes Palm's servers to update, but initially listing the app took a few days, so I'm not holding out hope that it's instant.

I just checked the link above and got the app not avaiable page, then on double checking it, it showed the proper app page, so I'm guessing something is up with Palm's servers at the moment, it might be worth trying again. What happens if you click on the link in the Pre's browser?
    Hello

Found it in Preware and installed it!

I try it out and leave a review.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Hi,

found it in Preware, but unfortunately the App is limited to UK for download. So, as a non-UK resident, I cannot download or use it....... too bad!!
    Found it and installed it, the day after I was in London, doh.

Works OK and I can see a use for it, thanks.

BTW, I also have tubeInfo & TestTube installed, which have their uses.
    But for actual routing on the Tube, without the need for a connection, I could not live without MetrO which is a PalmOS app running under Classic on my Pre.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  7.    #8  
    mullern: I've added all the EU countries and 'Other' to the distribution list. It'll be updated as soon as Palm's servers push out the changes.

ChasT: I've been thinking about adding a journey planner to it, but I've been debating how much use an offline one is (vs using the TFL one above ground) since it can't take in to account disruptions or closures. MetrO's approach of disabiling a line manually improves this, but it could still be a bad route if only half the line is closed (e.g. the Jubilee line pretty much every weekend ). Living in London I can remember most of the routes around Zone 1 by heart, but if you don't live in London it's a bit harder to work out a good route easily, I'll have a think about how this could be implemented, it might be that just a basic distance + interchanges cost algorithm is enough.
  8.    #9  
    Hey again,
    I've just uploaded v0.9.1 to Palm, it should be available via the direct link and the beta feeds in the next few hours.

New in this version is using the GPS location to determine the nearest stations to give you quick access to their live departure boards. You can also tap the distance to the station to drop a pin on it in the Google Maps app.

I've extended the beta expiry from the end of October to the end of November.

Again if you've got any feedback please leave it here or on the posterous site (which I still can't post a link to, I should really post here more ).

Cheers,
    Chris.
    Thanks for the Beta extension. The GPS work OK for me, loads Google Maps and pins the station.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmarshall View Post
    I've extended the beta expiry from the end of October to the end of November.
    Hi Chris, does it mean tha you plan to go for a fee after Nov? That would make the app unaccessible for users outside of the few launch countries
    Or dou you plan to keep it free
    Last edited by mullern; 10/18/2010 at 06:50 AM.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Great you extended the tiem period. I'm visiting London mid November and can't access paid apps in Holland. So I'll give it a try then. (Hoping that the Pre2 will be available by then)

I would however like it to at least include the typical tube map with all lines and stops. Just for reference so I know for what line to watch. An automated routing algorithm is of course even nicer, but I imagine that not being realistic within a few weeks.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Works nicely so far; I like it!

A really nice feature would be to be able to specify a destination and for the app to locate the nearest tube station then direct you to the specified destination from there...

Are you planning to make the app more full features, and/or potentially include other forms of transport?
    Could you make it available in the United States/internationally?
    I am planning a trip to the UK and it would be nice to have it pre-installed prior to the trip.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Hi Chris,

Great app, especially with the GPS update, but as of today it's telling me the beta has expired.

Reinstalled but still the same - has the end of November extension not gone live yet?

BTW I'd happily pay for this
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Arthur C. Clarke, "Profiles of The Future", 1961 (Clarke's third law)
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Thanks, update installed, normal service resumed - which is more than you can say for the Tube today....

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Arthur C. Clarke, "Profiles of The Future", 1961 (Clarke's third law)
    Any plans to internationalize the app for the App catalog?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    New beta version was uploaded to the Catalog yesterday it seems.

This version has a journey planner (seems to be the mobile version of TfL's Journey Planner, which works pretty well and takes into account other forms of transport which is good).

I'd *REALLY* like to see a button in the "Find nearest station," for each station to insert that station name into the "From" field of the Journey Planner. If that were the case, you could find your nearest tube station, press that button (therefore inserting that station as your origin in the Journey Planner) and then just type the destination. This would seem a more elegant solution than finding the nearest station then having to switch to the Journey Planner and type it in manually.

Also, because the Journey Planner covers all forms of transport, it'd be really handy for the "Find nearest station" scene to have a button somewhere which would return the postcode or street name from the GPS lookup, which could then be pressed to set as the origin point. This way, if a user's not within walking distance of a tube station they can still quickly and easily find a route from the journey planner.

If these 2 things were added, this app would be complete and ready for the App Catalog I think.

(Also, found a bug in this version: when clicking the app menu in the top right the scene goes grey and there's no way to get back to the previous view).
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Just installed the lastest version, as previous poster has said, it's almost there! I also noticed the grey screen bug. The find nearest station and tfl journey planner are nice surprise additions, and the former works really fast. Really well done!
  19.    #20  
    Sorry about the length of time it's taken me to reply, but better late than never...

mullern: I'd like to have a paid version to see if enough people want it to cover the cost of adding a tube map to the app, which is 750GBP to license. I'd make it available in all the EU countries, but having it available in the US has some tax implications that I still have to look in to before deciding if it's worth making it available everywhere. There is now a free version available (as of yesterday...) that's in the main Palm app catalog, but it's only the main status screen and the details for each line (basically what you can get from the first menu button in the beta app). There is ad code in the free version, though for the moment I've turned all the categories off in Admob so you won't see any.

spud101: I'd like to include a tube map but as in my reply to mullern it's fairly expensive. I do have a development version of the app with a map included, but I can't release it without the license. If I release it as a paid app and it gets sufficient sales to cover the costs then I'll look at getting a license for the map.

StevenX: I like the idea of putting in the from station name automatically, I'll get that included soon. The Palm APIs do allow for getting the address from the GPS lock, so I'll look in to that too. As for other modes of transport, I did build a scene that located the nearest Boris bike stations and gave you how many bikes and free slots there were, but map widget included with WebOS doesn't allow multiple pins so it made it somewhat dinky to use when trying to locate the nearest bike station in the direction you were heading, etc. so I didn't keep it included, I was going to release it as a free standalone app, but then one turned up in the app catalog that supported the Boris bikes, so it's just sitting unused these days. If the WebOS 2 map widget has more features I'll look at including it again.

DumbPreCommenter: The Beta should be available anywhere in the EU and the free version is available everywhere. If you're asking about language translations, then no I'm not intending to since there aren't many labels in the app and being Australian and only really knowing English and pigeon French it'd probably just be embarrassing if I tried to translate it using Google translate .

i_maq (and StevenX): Thanks for letting me know about the grey screen bug, I rejigged the navigation slightly to get the free version approved (Palm doesn't like back buttons, even though the back gesture still worked and the browser has one), which has broken the menu. I've pushed out a quick update (0.9.5) of the beta version to Palm so it should be turning up in the feeds fairly soon.

The Beta is now functional until the end of January (so it doesn't expire and annoy people over the Christmas break), hopefully by then I'll have the paid (or ad supported...) version in the app catalog.

Chris.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast