Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Good to hear about the updated version you've put through. I'd definitely be willing to buy a paid version as it's the most complete Tube app there is in the AppCat and essential for a Londoner with a smartphone.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Thanks for the personal reply - it's great to hear you're still actively working on this (as things went a little quiet for a while); really looking forward to the forwarding of the station name selected (or postcode from GPS lookup) into the Journey Planner

Interesting that you considered other forms of transport... I like that your Journey Planner implementation includes all forms of transport and not just tube routing; that makes it more than "just" a tube app and is much appreciated from me, as there's no Tube station in walking distance from where I live. Please don't change it to be just tubes, ever! Of course, if you were able to include other forms of transport in a more native and intuitive way (as with your idea for the bike stations), that would be most welcome - especially National Rail and buses!

Looking forward to further versions appearing in the Catalog
  3.    #23  
    No problem, thanks for the suggestions .

The journey planner is TFL one in scene in the app so it'll always support all forms of transport. It doesn't work underground, but the longer I thought about how to implement a reasonable offline one (taking in to account closed stations, delays, train departure times and so on) the more I figured I couldn't get any where near what the TFL one is capable of without access to all the data they have (and even then it'd be some serious effort).
    I would suggest the stations in the Live Departure tab sort by route order rather than alphabetical order.
    Thanks for the app!
  5.    #25  
    I ran out of time to add the integration with the journey planner before I'm off to Australia for a couple of weeks for Christmas. I'm working on it, I'll finish it off when I get back.

Have a good Christmas everyone .

Chris.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Looking forward to it, have a great holiday!
  7.    #27  
    It turns out that the support in WebOS for the WebView (which is the widget that I use for including the TFL journey planner inside the app) can't do what I was hoping. There are API calls to fill in a field (which is why at a quick glance it looked like it was possible), but there's no way of putting a field in focus so that you can use the API call. It kind of looks like Palm ran out of time to do full integration between apps and the HTML in a WebView, parts of the API are there, but there are important bits missing.

I've tried a few tricks with trying to get the WebView to execute JavaScript from a URL, had a good look through the debugger but I couldn't find any way of getting at the content in the WebView and looking at posts on the dev forums it seems that it isn't possible at the moment. I even tried passing various parameters to the TFL site to pre-populate fields, but it doesn't appear to support anything.

So basically in its current form there's no way I can integrate the journey planner in to the app any better. I'll have a look at the WebOS 2.0 APIs and see if Palm have changed anything.

I've pushed a new version of the beta that has a check that there's a internet connection before trying to load the journey planner (it's one of the things in Palm's check list to get an app approved) and I've also extend the expiry to the end of Feb.

As it is I think the beta version will now pass Palm's review process, so once I get back from skiing (start of Feb), I'll submit the app for approval.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    There's a page, located at A tool I made for Londoners that makes journey planning quicker | SHIFT_beep which does something along the lines of what you want I think. It generates a URL to pre-fill in the FROM field with a postcode. It only works with postcodes though, so there'd need to be some way of looking up the station postcode (or using the current location's postcode, as I previously suggested). Don't know if this would be much use?

EDIT: Actually, there is a way to get station names into the webview from a URL...

See the discussion at http://groups.google.com/group/rewiredstate/browse_thread/thread/20ddcff06b95033f?pli=1&safe=on

The first (XSLT) link passes variables to the TfL site, including FROM and TO station (although note that link gives slightly unusual results as it also has a departure date in the past). It definitely seems to be possible to pre-include the station name in the URL.

Of course, this workaround might be using Javascript to fill fields from the URL, which you already said wasn't possible? I'm not too sure how exactly it's doing it...
  9.    #29  
    Wow, nice research StevenX, I couldn't find any details of how to get the TFL's trip planner to accept arguments....

I don't have time to have a proper look (just about to hop on the Eurostar to the snow), but having just a brief look, I think that either way could work (the first one ends up generating a JavaScript URL, but it doesn't need to, that's just so it can be a bookmarklet), I'll have to have a proper look in to it when I get back.
  10.    #30  
    I've just pushed v0.9.7 to Palm, so it should turn up in the feeds fairly soon.

Now when you select a station close to the current position you can select from seeing the live departures or using it as the starting point in the journey planner.

Thanks StevenX for digging up the examples of the URL parameters that the TFL planner will accept .
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Looking forward to seeing that show up; thanks for taking a second look at the station as starting point problem!

I think now the only thing I'd like to see added would be, as I suggested earlier, for there to be an address lookup button performing much the same function - passing the starting point argument as the user's location (in the form of a postcode) to the journey planner.

You might like to know that I noticed a day or two ago by accident that you can expose the full array of URL parameters the TfL site can accept by planning a journey online then clicking the "Email to a friend," link and emailing the journey to yourself. The resulting email has a link with URL parameters describing the details of the journey. You may find that useful at some point in the future if you need to investigate the parameters more.
  12.    #32  
    Ask and ye shall receive (well up to a point anyway ). I've added the address lookup in v0.9.8. It's on the same scene as the closest stations, it should hopefully be fairly obvious how it works.

I've given it a quick test around the block and it seems fine, but please let me know if you have any issues with it, since it's a bit hard to test without running around all over London with my phone. I'll continue to test it over the next few days as I travel about, I'll post here if I find any problems.

Unfortunately v0.9.7 is still in the publishing queue, so I can't push v0.9.8 yet, but as soon as v0.9.7 publishes I'll submit v0.9.8 so it should be available in a day or two.
  13.    #33  
    Just to let you know, v0.9.7 is still stuck in the publishing queue, if it sits there for another day then I'll email Palm to see what's going on, I've seen 4 days of lag before though, so it might just their systems being slow again. Hopefully they're just busy preparing to launch the Pre 3 and some tablets in a couple of days time
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    v0.9.7 just showed up; the station-to-start feature works really well and makes the app a lot more intuitive and easy to use
  15.    #35  
    Glad you like it, I've just pushed v0.9.8 to Palm, so going by the recent performance of the Palm servers it should be anything from a few hours to a week
  16.    #36  
    v0.9.8 (the one that can do a postcode lookup) has made it out of the publishing queue, let me know if it's what you were after StevenX.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Just tried it out, and it works brilliantly! VERY nice! Thanks for adding the feature.
    Suggestion:
    Pre-load/Cache the Journey Planner web page, so the app don't have to download the same webpage every time.
  19.    #39  
    After a few delays with the submission system, Palm/HP have approved the full feature set in the free version, enjoy .

The current Beta app is going to expire at the end of April, so I'd suggest just grabbing the free version now and using it instead. It has all the same features, with the only difference, other than the name, being some code to serve ads, I doubt I'll ever switch it on though.

kiukiukiu: I'd like to cache it, but since it's a webview I don't think it's possible, sorry.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Congrats on the full featured app making it to the App Catalog!

I'm curious if there ever were (or still are) plans for a paid version, as implied by the "Free," in the current version's title?

Also, do you have any future development ideas for the app for things you'd like to work on or new features?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast