Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    this is my concern for the future developers on WebOS. We beg and plee for new apps and developers making good use of our PDK, but after they launch the only get 100 or so downloads! I'm not a developer, but if I were, i'd be discouraged to creat apps for this platform being that we seem to have a "stingy" consumer base, that won't pick up an app if it doesn't have a mega hype behind it. With that said, I even feel that Angry Birds (IML is one of the greatest handheld games) only brought in 20K downloads at a perfect price point ($2) & with multiple cover page postings on PC. We yell and scream for better apps but when it's time to pay & show support for the hard work these dev's put in, we don't support. That is very discouraging to bring in new developers! We show such great support to homebrew, we should share our "wealth" and support these dev's bc if we don't they won't recommend to others to build on the best mobile OS, and that is just a shame!
    Quote Originally Posted by ray1b View Post
    Import / export would be nice.
    They have it now in 1.5.1

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Donkey View Post
    You seem to completely misunderstand what Newsroom is all about. It is far more than an RSS feed aggregator. Aside from the gorgeous UI, when you buy Newsroom you are also paying for usage of Trileet's servers. Those servers frequently check all your feeds for you, and when new articles are found, the servers download those articles, strip out everything except the text and important images, format the page for viewing on a small screen, and then let your phone know that new articles are available. Instead of having to manually check full websites for news when the RSS feed is just a teaser with a few sentences, with Newsroom you get the full text. Since the servers strip out all the unnecessary stuff, you only end up downloading the essentials, saving battery life and bandwidth. I don't know of anything like it for any platform, full computer OS's included. Calling Newsroom a feed reader is such a huge understatement because it provides a completely new way of getting news that's unmatched by any other program anywhere.

And yeah, I gladly paid $5 for that. To be honest, given the way the app has radically changed how I consume information, I would probably pay upwards of $25 for it knowing what I do now about how it works.
    Are you sure that is what it does? To me it seems to just check the RSS source for new information and return it to the device. The app itsself seems to have some code built in to display a mini version of the data to make it easier to browse, but I don't think they have servers on their end doing anything.

I could be completely wrong, but I don't think I am. That would be a lot of overhead for them to support a $5 app purchase. Servers, bandwidth, storage, and the code required are all pretty expensive components to what you are alluding to.
    You are completely wrong.

Here is an old blog post regarding an Android battery shoot-out. It is a nice introduction to the benefits of NewsRoom over mere RSS readers:
    The Newsroom Blog: Saving Battery Life

As for the Google Reader debate the following recent blog post sums it up:
    The Newsroom Blog: Google Reader Revisted

For the record NewsRoom was one of the first apps I bought when we finally got access to the catalogue in the UK. It was well worth the money then and is frankly a steal now. It must be frustrating for the developer to see people pass comment when they have little knowledge of what NewsRoom offers.
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
    so i got feedreader for free last night and it worked but looks blah and the developer website is in german, which i dont use.

so I saw newsroom for $0.99, downloaded. for 99 cents i'll try most any decently rated app just for the heck of it.

love the look of the interface much better.

couple of improvements need to be made:

1) when adding a site via url, allow the option to attached a picture for the site's "avatar" and allow to name the feed. (having to go to site manager is a pain)

2) when in site manager, you cant "select all" to remove the URL and name the feed....youve got to hold backspace to remove the whole url. dunno if youve looked at rss feed url's but theyre long.

as to the developer.....very FEW companies can live off making a single product. youre going to need several products to "pay the mortgage". imagine if you went to walmart and they only sold car tires....would you shop there often? nope.

diversify your reader program....dont just update and add google reader for free. offer newsroom for $0.99 and google newsroom for $1.99, and then add a different program altogether.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Quote Originally Posted by gsonspre View Post
    this is my concern for the future developers on WebOS. We beg and plee for new apps and developers making good use of our PDK, but after they launch the only get 100 or so downloads! I'm not a developer, but if I were, i'd be discouraged to creat apps for this platform being that we seem to have a "stingy" consumer base, that won't pick up an app if it doesn't have a mega hype behind it. With that said, I even feel that Angry Birds (IML is one of the greatest handheld games) only brought in 20K downloads at a perfect price point ($2) & with multiple cover page postings on PC. We yell and scream for better apps but when it's time to pay & show support for the hard work these dev's put in, we don't support. That is very discouraging to bring in new developers! We show such great support to homebrew, we should share our "wealth" and support these dev's bc if we don't they won't recommend to others to build on the best mobile OS, and that is just a shame!
    Maybe because we already have a ton of games in the catalog. Eventually, people get tired of buying every new game that comes out. Especially when the flood of PDK games came.

On another note, I bought newsroom and I gotta say the app is pretty awesome, and the ui is amazing. Maybe the dev was having revenue problems cause of the $5 price point? At $5 I was like nah it's really not worth it, but at $.99 its amazing.
    Anyone else having problems getting sites to load today? I launch NewsRoom and just get the spinning circle. Restarted phone, same problem.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Anyone else having problems getting sites to load today? I launch NewsRoom and just get the spinning circle. Restarted phone, same problem.
    Same here all day.
    Fixed the loading problem. Had to delete the app & re-install. Then used Save/Restore to restore the sites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Donkey View Post
    ... the servers download those articles, strip out everything except the text and important images, format the page for viewing on a small screen, and then let your phone know that new articles are available. Instead of having to manually check full websites for news when the RSS feed is just a teaser with a few sentences, with Newsroom you get the full text.
    When I read this, I was sold, especially at $.99. I've only had my Pre about a week, and I've been using Puggleware's News App, but not having to open the browser then zoom to read the text is more than worth $.99. I'm pretty broke, but I would have at least considered it at $5. At $.99, it's a no-brainer. I'll just skip the usual bottle of pop next time I gas up or something.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12