1.    #1  
    I've tried Marine compass but doesn't work, Mecca compass don't really need to be reminded where the Mecca is, anything else?
    I assume you are talking about an app that uses the GPS? You can try "Geocaching for webOS" in the app catalog.

-al
    If your looking for one that acts like a real compass (without having to move a bit to get the GPS to lock and notice direction of movement) you'd be out of luck as the Palm Pre and Pixi do not have digital compasses.

However the mecca compass could be used as it's east-ish of the US. You could probably find the exact direction from your current place of residence online.
    there are several compass apps in the catalog. i had tealcompass, but the fact that you have to be moving makes it all useless to me.
    Not available on the current hardware as there is no digital compass. The compass apps that you see in the app store now rely on GPS and require you to be moving to determine your direction.
    i say they 86 the touchstone and give us a compass. much more useful imho
    unfortunatly palm didnt put the hardware in for using a compass however as mentioned there is the mecca compass, and geocaching for webos and the toolkit you should be able to find north
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    i say they 86 the touchstone and give us a compass. much more useful imho
    And I would say the exact opposite. No use for a compass. DON'T touch my TS!
    Devices used: Palm VIIx - Tungsten T - Tungsten T3 - HP ipaq 4155 - Tungsten T5 - BB 7520 - Treo 650 - Treo 700wx - Treo 755p - Q9c - BB 8130 - Treo 800w - HTC Touch Pro - BB 8330 - BB 8520 - HTC HD2 - Palm Pre
    Or have both, since one is part of the phone, and the other is an accessory?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatMatthew View Post
    Or have both, since one is part of the phone, and the other is an accessory?
    impossible... put a magnet next to a compass and tell me how accurate it is
    The touchstone does have magnets in it but the phone does not, The phone simply has four small metal tabs that are attracted to the touchstone magnets. So a digital compass would work while the phone is not on the touchstone.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  12.    #12  
    Mmmhhh, discording opinions, not really clear what the answer is.

I need to roughly understand where to point a satellite dish, can I do that combinining Mecca compass and Geo Cache locator then?
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
    Mmmhhh, discording opinions, not really clear what the answer is.

I need to roughly understand where to point a satellite dish, can I do that combinining Mecca compass and Geo Cache locator then?
    The Pre/Pixi do not have any transducer capable of sensing direction, only position (GPS). If you are moving your position is changing and direction can be calculated.

As to your dish problem. Walk along a defined straight line with GPS operating to establish it's direction. Then measure your required bearing from that line.

Or, bring up Google maps, zoom in, and from the orientation of the map establish the required direction.
    Last edited by johncc; 09/28/2010 at 01:55 AM.