Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    So I downloaded the Dropboxify app to my Pre to use until Jason's DropDrive app is ready. And according to the Dropboxify review which was featured at Pre|Central on Friday http://www.precentral.net/review-dro...comment-120222 I should be able to stream .mp3 files from my Dropbox account without having to download them directly to my phone. However, this seems to not be the case. There are three options within Dropboxify for dealing with files: OPEN, SAVE or EMAIL. When I tapped the OPEN file button, thinking that would start the streaming process, it proceeded to download the complete file to my phone instead before it would start playing. And if I select SAVE file, it does the same thing. So, it seems sort of pointless to have music files stored at Dropbox if they have to be downloaded to the phone to listen to them. Is this a failure of the app to handle the files correctly, or am I missing the point of Dropbox and the Dropboxify app? Any enlightenment would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Mutz; 09/26/2010 at 06:11 PM.
    It did use to stream. That is interesting. Zumodrive does stream the music as well as the box.net app boxalicious.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I just got a reply to my message to the Dropboxify developer:

Hello,

When streaming music, the player makes multiple requests to the Dropbox server. For that to work, we need to sign and authenticate every one of those requests. Unfortunately, we don't get that control over the built in music player in webOS.

Thank you for your message. I will search for a workaround to this problem, so we can add music streaming in a future version of Dropboxify.
    It seems that streaming was never possible with this app, but MIGHT be at some time in the future. So, Pre|Central's Dropboxify review is pretty misleading in that regard and convinced me to purchase the app for its supposed streaming capabilities...Bummer!