Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    On August 18th of 2009 I came to precentral.net to work in the homebrew community. My friend and I wanted to create a simple turn-based RPG game that people could enjoy. At the time, we only had me to draw and my friend to develop, and both of us had to design the game.

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...based-rpg.html

In December of 2009 we released our first version of this homebrew app on the app store! We were excited to be one of the first 100 apps to be released for Palm after they opened the app store up.

http://www.precentral.net/app-galler...og/wizards-rpg

And today, after 9 months of development, and a few rough patches, and my wife and I having a baby, I'm proud to announce the release of our next game, Wizards 2! We took everything we learned from the first game and made it better. Personally I aim to please the gamer that likes turn-based games, so if you have any questions or issues with any of the game itself, feel free to let me know, and I will take your comments into consideration as we continue to develop this game.

http://www.precentral.net/app-galler.../wizards-2-rpg

I'll be here for support for my game, and hope you enjoy it as much as I did developing it. I also wanted to just say a big THANKS to the precentral homebrew community for helping me test the first version of my game, as it was a huge help, and helped me squash bugs that I probably wouldn't have found to this day.

In the future, we're going to continue develop turn-based RPG games. The next will be Nebula Menace, a turn-based space combat game, with drug wars type trading and a 'mass effect' type story!

Looking forward to seeing you on the leaderboards!

Last edited by Scoota; 09/22/2010 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Adding some screenshots of the game
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Oh, and before I forget, I made it $.99 as a special offer for the first week. Also, look forward to a new version of Chapter 1 being released sometime next week!
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I just released a free version of Wizards 1! Be sure to grab it on the App Catalog today!

http://www.precentral.net/app-galler...zards-rpg-free
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Looks great. What a step up from the first one! I played a bit of that when it was homebrew and had only 3 locations.

By the way, is this webOS's first real sequel? That is, the first program with a version 1 developed solely for webOS and then a full new release, likewise solely for webOS? If so, I say huzzah!

(By the way, if it is a sequel, is there any benefit to having played the first one?)
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Figure we started to develop the first game the month the Pre came out (June?), we're a year and a couple months ahead in terms of how the games look. You could say we've learned a thing or two.

It's true that both versions were developed specifically for webOS! I've yet to venture outside of Palm. It's probably the great SDK that keeps me here.

The only benefit to playing Chapter 1 is you'd be 'in' on all the small jokes we included on Chapter 2. Chapter 1 is free anyway, so feel free to check it out before you grab Chapter 2!
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Just released an update that fixes all the bugs that people have sent me over the last week. Let me know if you have any issues, I'd be more than happy to resolve them!
    Had always wanted to get Wizards 1...when I saw that you release #2; I snatched up 1 & 2 to play while commuting. Loving it so far.
    But I did not get a "free" Chapter 1...I paid the "nice price" of $0.99.

Is there any difference between the free and the $0.99 version of Wizards 1?
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Had always wanted to get Wizards 1...when I saw that you release #2; I snatched up 1 & 2 to play while commuting. Loving it so far.
    But I did not get a "free" Chapter 1...I paid the "nice price" of $0.99.

Is there any difference between the free and the $0.99 version of Wizards 1?
    Mostly the difference is the free version has ads for Chapter 2, where the $.99 version doesn't have those ads.

The leaderboard for chapter 1 connects to both the free and the $.99 version.

Glad you like it!
    First of all, congratulations on the baby! Second, thanks for providing the WebOS with a great exclusive rpg! Wizards 2 is a great game. Finished it as Spellczar ("Strych"). I ran into a glitch that wiped out all of my gold after traveling from one town to another near the end of the game. I had over 100,000 one second and zero the next. Prior to this happening I kept getting a weird near "s" : "syntax error". I am replaying as brawler and hope that this doesn't occur again.

Will you make an expansion? I'd love to see a higher level cap, more weapons, armor, charms, maybe music.
    Last edited by doctorzeph; 10/05/2010 at 12:12 AM.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorzeph View Post
    First of all, congratulations on the baby! Second, thanks for providing the WebOS with a great exclusive rpg! Wizards 2 is a great game. Finished it as Spellczar ("Strych"). I ran into a glitch that wiped out all of my gold after traveling from one town to another near the end of the game. I had over 100,000 one second and zero the next. Prior to this happening I kept getting a weird near "s" : "syntax error". I am replaying as brawler and hope that this doesn't occur again.

Will you make an expansion? I'd love to see a higher level cap, more weapons, armor, charms, maybe music.
    Glad you liked the game! I'll have to look into that glitch that took all your gold, 100,000 is a little too much to lose. I just fixed the error with the "s" problem and will be submitting the patch to Palm today.

I do plan on making expansions for the game, but first I'll probably continue working on Nebula Menace. We're a pretty small shop and don't really have the resources to work on multiple projects at a time. I'm debating opening up a tool to allow fans of the game to submit their own custom quests to be put into official expansions!
    Looking forward to your new game, Nebula Menace. Sound or music for this one?

Fan produced expansions for Wizards 2 would be terrific. I recall playing those RedShift games on my old Palm T/X that had fan made expansions.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    webOSRadio #19: Bleeps, Bloops, and Benchwarmers | webOSroundup

Just got mentioned on webosroundup's podcast! Check out 19:50 for our segment!

Looking forward to your new game, Nebula Menace. Sound or music for this one?
    I'll push heavily on my sound guy to make some sound and music for this one. Sound at least.
    Just updated the game today. It loads up, but when I try to leave the town the game stalls on the "Travelling..." message screen. The top (graphics) screen is gray and the log window is empty. There are the "INFO" and "QUEST" buttons on the side that do still work. Please help!
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorzeph View Post
    Just updated the game today. It loads up, but when I try to leave the town the game stalls on the "Travelling..." message screen. The top (graphics) screen is gray and the log window is empty. There are the "INFO" and "QUEST" buttons on the side that do still work. Please help!
    Found the error last night, submitted the fix to Palm already. Sorry about that! It turns out it was an issue with an achievement that shouldn't have been showing, and caused the game to freeze when travelling.
    Found the update available from Palm. After the update, it is working again. Thanks for the rapid response.
    Can't wait to play W Ch2.
    But I won't until I finish W Ch1 on hard!
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Can't wait to play W Ch2.
    But I won't until I finish W Ch1 on hard!
    I think you'll be pretty blown away by the amount of upgrades we've made to the second game. I've done so much to this game that I've gotta figure out a way to out-do myself for Nebula Menace!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoota View Post
    I think you'll be pretty blown away by the amount of upgrades we've made to the second game. I've done so much to this game that I've gotta figure out a way to out-do myself for Nebula Menace!
    I have an 1.5 hour commute so I have been playing W Ch1 almost non-stop. Looking forward to Nebula Menace too!
    Beat this.

(currently on my 5th boss run... )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WalterH View Post
    Beat this.

(currently on my 5th boss run... )
    Just a reminder to everyone that beats the game, and you finish the boss runs, each class plays very differently. The marksman starts with a certain AP at the beginning of each battle, and ticks up 1 AP per turn, and the spellczar has an AP pool that he can use more than the basic attack.

I'm still looking into some options to allow people to make custom quests to be put into the final version. How many people would be up for actually making their own quests? You could use any of the zones, or the npcs that are in the game right now. I've got about 12 different types of quests that you could make, and make your own cutscenes.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast