1.    #1  
    Okay, I get understand the Official App Catalog apps (approved and blessed by Palm and only available through the app catalog).

I understand the Homebrew apps (similar to the Hacks from the Palm OS days).

But what the heck are the Web Distribuiton apps?

And why the heck are Beta apps available in the Official App Catalog? Sort of defeat the purpose of "official". Short of the word "beta" in the app title, how can I tell if an app in the official catalog is beta?

Basically, I just want to load and use "official" apps. I am already using a beta app (Checkbook) I download from the official app catalog not knowing it was beta.

Thanks,
    Mike
    the "official apps" can only be found in the "app catalog" application. NO BETA Apps should be in that app catalog.

BETA apps can be found in using application such as "app scoop", the app catalog will show these apps using a green theme.

web distribution, is a way for devs to release apps without palm review they will also NOT be found using the regular "app catalog" app, only using "app scoop", they show with a gray theme and clearly state they "have not been reviewed by Palm"
    There should not be any beta app in Palm's App Catalog, if I'm wrong then a developer should correct me.

I figure you want to stay safe, the safest place to get your apps is only by using the built in App that came with your phone, that only access Palm's App Catalog and those apps were approved by Palm.

If you are searching for app using Preware, you are getting by default a combination of apps coming from different sources. So don't use Preware to do your search.

I use it personally, because I want to know about all the apps out there.

And there is even an actual app (several of them) that will let you see just the Beta stuff.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

4.    #4  
    Thanks for all the quick info. I understand everything.

But from the PreCentral.net website (apps page), here is their definition of Beta Apps: "These apps are available in the Official Palm App Catalog. They have not been checked by Palm for quality and compatability and are likely to have bugs."

Is this just an outdated definition?

Thanks,
    Mike
    when they say they are in the "official app catalog" they mean they are on Palm servers and are hosted by palm, but they will not show up in the "app catalog" app on the phone, only in 3rd party apps
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    the "official apps" can only be found in the "app catalog" application. NO BETA Apps should be in that app catalog.
    The version of ePocrates in the "official" app catalog is still a beta . . .
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    The version of ePocrates in the "official" app catalog is still a beta . . .
    Wasn't that by ePocrates choice? Developer's have a choice when submitting their apps:

http://developer.palm.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1840&Itemid=34&limitstart=1
    APP & Patch Makers Get on the:webOS Developers Map
    My Apps: Presentation Controller (for PowerPoint and Open Office Impress), PC Display Master ,Handheld X-Ray H.E. (Halloween Edition), Text Morpher ⓦⓘⓣⓗ ⓑⓤⓑⓑⓛⓔ ⓣⓔⓧⓣ plus Ŧεẍṫ ℉яεαḱεя
    Yes I'm sure it was ePocrates' intent, but nonetheless it is in the app catalog and is still considered a beta.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Yes I'm sure it was ePocrates' intent, but nonetheless it is in the app catalog and is still considered a beta.
    You might find a finished app in the Beta Channel, or you may find a few developers using the larger audience of the App Catalog to "beta-test" their apps. (Hopefully the beta quality is kinda like Google's which left "beta" on gmail for years) .

I suppose if your intent was to find an exception to abegee's comment, you succeeded, but his point is mostly right on.

Palm set-up an App Catalog channel, a Beta channel, and a Web Distribution channel.

It's up to Developers, Palm and the consumer to police the App Catalog to keep everyone honest. Hopefully more people will use the review/comments on apps to help each other out.

Manny
    APP & Patch Makers Get on the:webOS Developers Map
    My Apps: Presentation Controller (for PowerPoint and Open Office Impress), PC Display Master ,Handheld X-Ray H.E. (Halloween Edition), Text Morpher ⓦⓘⓣⓗ ⓑⓤⓑⓑⓛⓔ ⓣⓔⓧⓣ plus Ŧεẍṫ ℉яεαḱεя
    Usage of the terms Alpha and Beta in apps are at the sole discretion of the developer, for the most part, as they are the only ones capable of gauging the progress it has made. Same can be said for whether they have it up on the beta channel or in the official catalog... if they feel it is stable enough, they can certainly submit it for palm approval.