Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi guys,

Just wanted to let everyone know about our free app which enters you into a drawing to win a year of free cell phone service. The app is called One Year Free Service & it is unique in that there's no registration or sign up & we collect no user information whatsoever.

You might ask how can we give something away like this for free without any of the regular spammy/shady techniques? It's simple - we're competing in Palm's Hot Apps promotion which is giving away $1,000,000 in awards for the most downloaded apps. So we're risking our $1500 hoping that we get enough downloads to get an award in Hot Apps. However whatever our placement is we're giving away $1500 (which should be more than enough to cover a year of free service) to a random user of our app.

The last day to enter is September 30th.

Thanks & good luck!
    Cloud Genki
    Downloading now!
    and what app are you referring to?
    One Year Free Service
    nevermind. I found the app. seems like it's just a digital raffle.
    I'd rather a worthy dev win the contest...
    the intent of the contest is to motivate the creation of great apps.
    yea I think I'd rather a hard working developer who made a great app and earned the award win it, instead of some guys who says he giving away a year worth of service "randomly" for all we know it's gona be awarded to your friend
    I would trust this...only if the money was given to a reputable 3rd party..such as Precentral...and they give it to the winner.
  10.    #10  
    Why would you automatically assume that we're not hard working developers? Just because there may have been less coding than a 3D shooter doesn't mean that this was an easy endeavor & we're risking a lot of our own money here.

As for the accusation that we may not behave responsibly with the award it's unfortunate that folks are so suspicious of these types of things, but it's understood as unscrupulous marketing is something we all deal with daily. We did ask PreCentral if they would mediate the giveaway but they felt it would be too complicated so not sure what else we can do except offer our most sincere word that we are acting with integrity and will choose a random winner who is completely unrelated to us.

We'd love to hear some reasons about why some people are so upset about this app, it seems we've touched a sensitive nerve with some. However we have yet to see a reason that makes any sense.
    the program is based on someone building a really good app that gets downloaded alot. not someone that did not create an app that wins the award .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I don't think anyone is upset, we just aren't excited by the idea.

So if you want to list all of your other apps currently in the catalog? How about a list of upcoming titles?

I am not saying you are hard working, but the prizes are intended to reward great apps, and this particular app isn't great.

In the same way that if you trained really hard for a bike race, and then expected to be considered for an academy award. One effort doesn't really contribute to the other. Just sayin.

No one is saying you can't do this, but I'm not going to download it. That's all. Sorry.
  13.    #13  
    kel101 - I posted just before seeing your post & yes, I completely understand & had the exact same idea! I contacted Dieter but unfortunately he wasn't interested or at least he felt it was going to be too complicated, not sure why though. We've also considered getting a broker company to do it but we didn't think it would add much extra trust since most people aren't familiar with online brokers I believe.

Any other thoughts please let us know. It's pretty ironic - we're giving away $1500 in probably the most risk & catch free promotion ever but a lot of folks are too scared to take it! A real sign of our environment we live in I guess...
    in my world trust is earned not given to people i dont know. just sayin lol its nothing to do with fear at all .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  15.    #15  
    Thanks guys, I hear what you're saying but I think you've got some holes in your reasoning. I don't believe any one person can claim they know what a 'great app' is since it's a pretty subjective topic. For Hot Apps the criteria for who wins is the most downloads & therefore I'd claim that the greatest app for this promotion is the one that gets the most downloads. One Year Free Service was designed to be a great app for the context in which it has been released as well as provide what we felt was a lot of value to the user - a chance to win enough cash to pay their cell phone bill for a year.
    What other apps are you actually working on?
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudgenki View Post
    I don't believe any one person can claim they know what a 'great app' is since it's a pretty subjective topic. For Hot Apps the criteria for who wins is the most downloads & therefore I'd claim that the greatest app for this promotion is the one that gets the most downloads.
    By that reasoning the lite version of an app would be much better than the paid, and the fart apps the iPhone app store is so overfull of would be the greatest apps ever made.
    The point is, creating an app that doesn't really do anything but possibly let's someone win something goes completely against the spirit in which "Hot Apps" was intended, to get great devs to make great apps (not to say you're not a great dev, it's just O.Y.F.S. isn't a great app), and if it wins then it's screwing over devs who took the time to make great free apps.
  18.    #18  
    Hi again Orion Several! Not ready to go into too much detail yet but we're working on a suite of health related apps which will have a community/social aspect to them which we feel will be original & compelling. We're attempting to make the apps super x-platform as well as include some features that we haven't seen before in this genre of app. We hope to start launching these in early November.

If anyone is interested in beta testing we'd definitely appreciate it - although it will likely be a couple of weeks before we're ready for that. Hit me up through our getsatisfaction form on our site if you'd like.
    OP, you aren't understanding us. You're trying to cheat other devs out of the prize money. And you say you have integrity? Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudgenki View Post
    kel101 - I posted just before seeing your post & yes, I completely understand & had the exact same idea! I contacted Dieter but unfortunately he wasn't interested or at least he felt it was going to be too complicated, not sure why though. We've also considered getting a broker company to do it but we didn't think it would add much extra trust since most people aren't familiar with online brokers I believe.

Any other thoughts please let us know. It's pretty ironic - we're giving away $1500 in probably the most risk & catch free promotion ever but a lot of folks are too scared to take it! A real sign of our environment we live in I guess...
    Have you tried other webOS related sites such as webOSroundup, aboutwebOS, PalmNewsDaily, webOSworld, etc.?
    Without a trusted 3rd party I'm out.
    APP & Patch Makers Get on the:webOS Developers Map
    My Apps: Presentation Controller (for PowerPoint and Open Office Impress), PC Display Master ,Handheld X-Ray H.E. (Halloween Edition), Text Morpher ⓦⓘⓣⓗ ⓑⓤⓑⓑⓛⓔ ⓣⓔⓧⓣ plus Ŧεẍṫ ℉яεαḱεя
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast