Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    OP, are you from outside of the US? It seems like we are having separate conversation on different topics or it's being lost in translation. And frankly, I think your defensive responses are doing you more harm than good.

first off, I DO know what a great app is FOR ME, and this app isn't great. It doesnt do anything interesting or useful FOR ME. Others have tried this before, and it hasn't been successful so that indicates a general consensus that others will also think your app isn't 'great'. That's fine. It means better odds for winning for those that download it anyway.

the point is that the prizes are for apps that add value NOW, not for apps you may deliver in the future.

you keep saying that you don't see the logic. That's gotta be some sort of language barrier, because that is very simple and logical. I'm fine if others get your app. I'll pass on it, and I doubt you will win any money. But I won't be upset if you do, just a little surprised.

good luck in your efforts!
  2.    #22  
    Several things to address, here goes:

Claim that our app doesn't provide value - I think our app should be ranked somewhere at the top of the charts here, we're offering a very real & tangible incentive to users.

Claim that we're cheating out other devs - we took a lot of time to make our app do what it is intended to do great as well & we continue to put time & $ into it. Try it out, I think you'll find that it's the easiest & smoothest experience in this app genre you've ever had. Even from the perspective of needing to work hard to get respect I'll just say we've worked hard for this.

Am I outside the US - no, I'm in California.

Have we talked to other sites about moderation - no, the idea just came to me over the weekend & didn't hear back from Dieter until yesterday morning. It's great to hear that a few of you feel it's a good idea, I'll definitely hit up a few more sites today. If anyone has any contacts it would be great if you could send me a note through our getsatisfaction form on our site.

Spirit of Hot Apps being violated with what we're doing - I think this one is coming from the idealistic developer viewpoint. I get it. Some of you probably have created amazing apps that do amazing things. Well we think that our app is also amazing for it's genre & purpose. We also think we've done something revolutionary here, have you ever entered a drawing where all you had to do was press a button & give absolutely no info?
    am I missing something? Does your app do something more than give the user a chance to win the raffle? Maybe I just overlooked something.
    so if i downloaded this app what benefit would i gain from it what will this app do to either entertain me or make me more productive??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  5.    #25  
    Yep, the app does more than just entering users into a drawing. It also provides ways for them to increase their odds. Every day we update the user's statistics. So in this sense it gives users a reason to come back to the app over & over again - which could be considered entertainment I'd think. Currently the updated statistics are just their # of entries, but we are working on & considering other features.
    not
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Can't believe we're arguing about this, tbh. If you don't want to download it, don't download it. If you don't think it should be entered in the Hot Apps contest and it's against the spirit of the contest, then that's a rant better aimed at Palm, no? They let the app in, which means they think it deserves just as much a shot at winning as all the others. It is what it is.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudgenki View Post
    Yep, the app does more than just entering users into a drawing. It also provides ways for them to increase their odds. Every day we update the user's statistics. So in this sense it gives users a reason to come back to the app over & over again - which could be considered entertainment I'd think. Currently the updated statistics are just their # of entries, but we are working on & considering other features.
    palm should hire you for marketing. That's the best 'spin' I've heard since the last election.
  9.    #29  
    Not sure I'd be a good fit as a marketer, I can't even get you guys to take a risk free chance to win $1500. Palm probably wouldn't be too impressed

I appreciate the friendly debate everyone & I hope you'll consider checking out our app.

Best wishes to you all.
  10.    #30  
    Good news - webOSroundup is now verifying & brokering One Year Free Service. Please check out the writeup they did on their site about us & our app.
  11.    #31  
    Just wanted to let everyone know that for today only (September 29th) we're giving users of One Year Free Service 50 additional entries for their first tweet when using the Tweet feature of the app. We're also giving 10 additional entries per download generated from the provided Tweet link, up to an unlimited amount. Last day to enter is September 30th - webOSroundup has the $1500 cash prize & will deliver it to the winner! www.cloudgenki.com
    Last edited by cloudgenki; 09/29/2010 at 02:26 AM. Reason: added link
  12.    #32  
    Last day to enter everyone & we're giving 10 to 100 extra entries whenever you can get a friend to download the app from your app generated links. We've also added a survey to the app which we'll give 25 extra entries to anyone who takes the time to fill out, letting us know how we can improve for the next time we do this.

If anyone has any feedback for us please let us know, we'd love to hear it since we plan to do more of these.
    well, it looks like you didn't even make the "honorable mention" for a credit on HP.com

But, I'm looking forward to hearing who won the $1,500.

I'm also curious if you are planning to take this app out of the Palm catalog now.
    Out of curiosity, how will the winner be notified?
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    Out of curiosity, how will the winner be notified?
    from their website - and clearly raising the odds that no one will claim the prize... because most users probably deleted the app right away...

PRIZE NOTIFICATION
    Winner is required to open the One Year Free Service application and check their sweepstakes status using the 'Check Status' button within 1 week of the sweepstakes Winner Notification Date. When doing so, the winning entrant will be provided with a message indicating they have won the sweepstakes and provided with a method to contact Cloud Genki to claim their award. If after one week from the sweepstakes Winner Notification Date, the winning entrant has not made contact with Cloud Genki, the prize will be forfeited and an alternate winner will be randomly selected. This process will be repeated weekly until a winner has made contact with Cloud Genki within a week of their Device ID being drawn and a notification of their winning status being posted by Cloud Genki.
    Well then, it's a good thing I haven't deleted it yet. haha
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    most rebates aren't ever claimed and manufacturers count on that in the strategy. I'd say the odds of someone "claiming" this prize is going to be in single digits.

and the app is still in the catalog...
    What a completely worthless waste of space in the app catalog. I'm really glad people were smart enough to not waste their time downloading garbage like this. It was a get rich quick scheme that failed. Good luck next time, "developers".

And I'm sure they won't have to pay out the prize money. They know that most people will delete the app after downloading it since it looks like a scam. They may act all surprised on here that people are skeptical, but they know people are. And once that first week goes by, it's pretty much guaranteed that no one will claim the prize since people will not be checking after the initial claim period ends.

And why do I have a feeling that their "health-related apps" will be a series of spam apps flooding the catalog. Their first app will be "Cures for the common cold - download now to win a free trip to Maui!". I can't wait...
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    and webOS Roundup really hurt their own credibility by supporting this. they wrote a glowing review of this great contest. kudos to P|C for staying away from this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    and webOS Roundup really hurt their own credibility by supporting this. they wrote a glowing review of this great contest. kudos to P|C for staying away from this.
    Yeah I agree. I'm not sure why they would support it other than trying to compete with PreCentral and have an exclusive story/promotion.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast