Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    so I am wonderin why is there no way to make preware an app in the app catalog so you don't always have to hook up you pre/pixi to your computer?
  2. #2  
    Unless Palm drastically changes their guidlines on what an app can and can't do on your phone, It will never be in the App Catalog.

    That said, it would be awesome if they made an exception, but that ain't gonna happen. hahaha
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
  3.    #3  
    can't they just put some disclosure(sorry if that's spelled wrong) in the discription say they are not liable for it. I mean they recommend it when you call tect support so why not?
  4. #4  
    They should get with the webOS Internals guys and integrate it directly into webOS. Similar to how Firefox, Chrome, etc. has extensions, themes, plug-ins, Preware would allow webOS users to install optional add-ons generated by the community. Patches, extensions, themes, etc. could be available in the app catalog just like apps are. And developers could offer them for free or charge for them. I think it would really help set webOS apart from the rest of the pack.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  5. #5  
    Probably not... because if they make and exception for one company (no matter if there is some kind of legal wording about it) they could be sued by other companies demanding the same treatment. The only way I would see this happening is either A) rules are changed universally for the catalog, or B) HP purchases Preware (webOS Internals) and would therefore be able to add it to the catalog because it is part of HP and not an outside vendor.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Probably not... because if they make and exception for one company (no matter if there is some kind of legal wording about it) they could be sued by other companies demanding the same treatment. The only way I would see this happening is either A) rules are changed universally for the catalog, or B) HP purchases Preware (webOS Internals) and would therefore be able to add it to the catalog because it is part of HP and not an outside vendor.
    No need to puchase webos-internals, their work is open source. All Palm would need to do if they copied Preware into the OS is to open source the code. (I believe)

    But I sure like DanPLC thinking. Themes and Patches would definitely set webos apart from other competitors.

    Pip
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    No need to puchase webos-internals, their work is open source. All Palm would need to do if they copied Preware into the OS is to open source the code. (I believe)

    But I sure like DanPLC thinking. Themes and Patches would definitely set webos apart from other competitors.

    Pip
    I understand the thinking... but even on open-source items, I believe there is still intellectual property rights and agreements. Something is open-source only as long as it stays that way. If Palm incorporated it into the catalog but then closed or limited the development gates in any way to control security they would violate webOS Internal's distribution agreement.

    It would be really cool to see Palm do something to get Preware into the catalog as a supported app... but because of legal issues of security, this is why the only 'official' way of loading apps is through the catalog. With the catalog they can control what is loaded so they don't get sued by someone who loaded a malicious piece of software. Preware lets you side-load apps and unless Palm could control what is loaded... they wouldn't allow it 'officially' because of legal risks and opening themselves up to potential lawsuits. Some lawyers make their livings by looking for those exact loopholes. /2cents
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I understand the thinking... but even on open-source items, I believe there is still intellectual property rights and agreements. Something is open-source only as long as it stays that way. If Palm incorporated it into the catalog but then closed or limited the development gates in any way to control security they would violate webOS Internal's distribution agreement.
    I did try to make the point that Palm would have to open source the code if they used the same architecture as Preware.

    It would be really cool to see Palm do something to get Preware into the catalog as a supported app... but because of legal issues of security, this is why the only 'official' way of loading apps is through the catalog. With the catalog they can control what is loaded so they don't get sued by someone who loaded a malicious piece of software. Preware lets you side-load apps and unless Palm could control what is loaded... they wouldn't allow it 'officially' because of legal risks and opening themselves up to potential lawsuits. Some lawyers make their livings by looking for those exact loopholes. /2cents
    I readily accept that most homebrew apps will never likely make it into the app catalogue but it would be cool, and I see feasible, for some sort of Patch and theme implementation.

    However, saying that, it would also be great if Palm could examine certain awesome apps such as Save/Restore, Mode Switcher etc and put them in the app catalogue.

    Pip
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    ...However, saying that, it would also be great if Palm could examine certain awesome apps such as Save/Restore, Mode Switcher etc and put them in the app catalogue...
    Totally agree... and from a couple of articles it sounds like they are baking some features from the Homebrew community into the next update. There are a ton of features we miss. It's still a relatively young OS... so hopefully Palm keeps watching and listening to Homebrewers to see what users want!
  10. #10  
    Incorporating Preware in WebOS would be like Incorporating Jailbreaking into iOS.
    I own a Verizon Palm Pre 2 running WebOS 2.0.1

    Here to help and learn
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Totally agree... and from a couple of articles it sounds like they are baking some features from the Homebrew community into the next update. There are a ton of features we miss. It's still a relatively young OS... so hopefully Palm keeps watching and listening to Homebrewers to see what users want!
    +1 as webOS grows and Palm listens to the webOS community it will improve. Preware is a mechanism for users to access the open source nature of the operating system it needs to remain disassociated from webOS to allow the user segment to continue to develop new aspects of the operating system.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by drew145022 View Post
    so I am wonderin why is there no way to make preware an app in the app catalog so you don't always have to hook up you pre/pixi to your computer?
    I believe all forum members would love that > especially me. Nice topic. ^_^

Posting Permissions