Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    Anyone working on the Firefox/Fennec based browser for WebOS called Prefox? Seems the developer is not able to fit this in anymore and can use help from the PreCentral.net Developer community.

Main Prefox website:
    Fractal Brew | Brewing up software while drinking good beer

Download Latest Prefox Alpha build here:
    http://bit.ly/prefox

The Developers Current Build:
    Pre - Works "VERY BUGGY"
    Pixi - Unknown
    Emulator - No Download location given for the build.

My Build 0.8.1 (STILL Heavily working on it): Updated 11/05/2010
    http://bit.ly/chpZFc
    Last edited by demetry14; 11/05/2010 at 01:09 PM.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Hi,

I searched everywhere and I think this is the only thread that was started regarding Prefox.

It really should be started with the developer himself, unless he is not interested in using Precentral to answer some of our questions.

So I guess until then, this the best place to post this info (and if not, the moderator can move this message).

And I thank the user (demetry14) who started this thread, I was looking for a way to send him the error reports.

Ok here is what happened when I tried to install Prefox using Preware:

Preware's IPK error log:

download
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    99 11.5M 99 11.4M 0 0 66703 0 0:03:01 0:03:00 0:00:01 71312
    100 11.5M 100 11.5M 0 0 66725 0 0:03:00 0:03:00 --:--:-- 70678
    identify
    com.fractalbrew.prefox
    failed
    -1: Unable to run command: /usr/bin/luna-send -n 6 luna://com.palm.appinstaller/installNoVerify '{"subscribe":true, "target": "/media/internal/.developer/prefox", "uncompressedSize": 0}' 2>&1
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"returnValue":true , "ticket":1, "subscribed":true}
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":1 , "status":"STARTING" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":1 , "status":"CREATE_TMP" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":1 , "status":"VERIFYING" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":1 , "status":"IPKG_INSTALL" }
    download
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    99 11.5M 99 11.4M 0 0 65676 0 0:03:03 0:03:02 0:00:01 73984
    100 11.5M 100 11.5M 0 0 65767 0 0:03:03 0:03:03 --:--:-- 79592
    identify
    com.fractalbrew.prefox
    failed
    -1: Unable to run command: /usr/bin/luna-send -n 6 luna://com.palm.appinstaller/installNoVerify '{"subscribe":true, "target": "/media/internal/.developer/prefox", "uncompressedSize": 0}' 2>&1
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"returnValue":true , "ticket":2, "subscribed":true}
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":2 , "status":"STARTING" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":2 , "status":"CREATE_TMP" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":2 , "status":"VERIFYING" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":2 , "status":"IPKG_INSTALL" }

Any ideas on why it won't install?

Anyone have a successful installation?

Thanks!

Rob

UPDATE: I got it to install using Internalz. Alas, it's too late to try it out, I gotta get to sleep, will play with it tomorrow.
    Last edited by rlanza1054; 09/19/2010 at 01:17 AM.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

this app seems to make the phone very laggy, like its trying to do too much?
    Where do you go to download prefox?
    Cingular 3125 --> Samsung Instink! --> Palm Pre --> ???
    great app! I too was able to install and play around, but it does crash with flash stuff..
    sj
    Last edited by sjsharksfan; 10/10/2010 at 09:39 PM.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/19/2010 at 03:37 AM. Reason: corrected link
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Very slow & crash prone right now
  8. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by draztikrhymez View Post
    Very slow & crash prone right now
    Agreed. Also, The UI seems to be based on 800x480 resolution screens. Further, Numbers cannot be imputed.
    I can't get it to run on the emulator. I have luna restarted and full restarted.
    timeweb2 likes this.
    Just installed with internalz. The app will not open. Will ininstall and try to reinstall.
    Just uninstalled, then reinstalled through internalz. The app still don't open. I also restarted the phone and tried to open with no luck.

Sprint pre

Thanks for you're work. Will keep trying.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I installed it through preware. Just click on the download link from your phone and preware opens up, tells you that you will have to restart the phone yourself if necessary, and installs & it runs great (you know, aside from the bugs) I was able to view a few sites, but when I clocked on the leave feedback button, it crashed.

And I was able to get numbers put in, you just won't see the blue circle saying it accepted silver/orange.
    Last edited by KCIsaac; 09/19/2010 at 10:54 AM.
    Mine runs perfectly. I like the UI, but switching from horizontal to vertical view cuts off the sides sometimes. Scrolling is very laggy but is perfectly fine when you visit a page. It renders pages well.
    Mine crashed when i tried to send a bug report via the menu.
    Samsung A850< Sanyo Katana< Palm Centro< Samsung Instinct< Palm Pre

<-Daft Punk in the Avatar!
    A couple of glitches...however that should be expected...is this going to be the "official" input thread?
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Installed with WOSQI. App opens to the Welcome page; but, very slow and crashed several times. Could not open precentral.net without crashing.
    Last edited by Dale46; 09/19/2010 at 12:07 PM.
    Not in Preware yet?
    It's unpolished product, the author notes this. Don't knock it quite yet. With some work it could be great.
    For an early stage..it has real promise..as i noted on the news article it scored higher then the pre browser on the acid3 test
    I installed it via webosQI, all I can say about it is it's very very buggy in my experience. It took 2 minutes to load the first time, seconds everytime after that. It crashed twice in 1 minute. Zoom does not work well, and the fonts look very bad on some sites.

I look forward to see where this goes though.
  20.    #20  
    1. It doesn't seem to be built for the emulator only for the phone.
    2. On the dev's site he says he has been very busy and would not mind others helping out.
    3. It installs as i have done it myself with WOSQI and am using it just fine.
    4. It is a BUGGY ALPHA build so unless you have experience with modifying software don't waste your time even trying to install it.
    5. In it's current state the browser does use A LOT of memory and can and will give you the TMC error.
    6. Obviously there is a lot of work that can and will be done with this software, so please don't complain about stuff not working. AGAIN IT IS ALPHA.
    7. It is not in Preware because of the ALPHA stage of the application.

If you are a developer and or linux admin in any way shape or form you will be able to get this installed if you encounter any errors.

Lastly, since the authors site stated he is very busy I assumed he would not have time to make a thread on the PreCentral forum so i took the liberty. This way we can all work together on improving on what he has started for himself and gave to us.
    Last edited by demetry14; 09/19/2010 at 02:11 PM.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast