1.    #1  
    Hi All,

I hope this is the right forum for game announcements. My new game Tanks! went live on the app store a day ago.

Can't post links yet as I'm new to the forums, but you should be able to find it on the app store...

I first started writing it with the iPhone in mind, but when I got hold of a Palm Pre Plus I decided to do it for both platforms.

I've got an update pending right now which adds a couple of new features. Mainly 3D sound and a new background which is a bit nicer.

There's a youtube video of the latest version in action - search for "Tanks! for the Palm Pre and Palm Pixie"

In future versions I'm going to be adding more baddies for you to destroy (e.g. the UFOs from the original game) and I think that I'll add power ups dotted around the landscape - this should make the game last longer (it's quite hard!) and add to the fun.

I'd love to hear any feedback from people who have played the game.

Cheers
    Chris.
    Quote Originally Posted by iamflimflam1 View Post
    There's a youtube video of the latest version in action - search for "Tanks! for the Palm Pre and Palm Pixie"
    Here's the YouTube link:

I used to spend hours on this game back in the 80's. Question, are you able to go in reverse but pulling both controls all the way back? To stop the tank, both controls are in center?

I'll have to check it out.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Here's the YouTube link:

I used to spend hours on this game back in the 80's. Question, are you able to go in reverse but pulling both controls all the way back? To stop the tank, both controls are in center?

I'll have to check it out.
    Yes, reverse by pulling both the thumb controls to the bottom of the screen.

Middle of the screen is no power forward or reverse - the controls automatically move back to the center if you aren't touching them so you'll come to halt automatically.

Turning is done as you'd expect - push one control forward and you'll turn in that direction, to turn quickly one control forward and one control backward and you'll spin on the spot.

It can be a bit awkward sometime as to fire you have to touch the center of the screen to do that - I thought about having a keyboard mode for the Palm, but even that would be a bit awkward.

Just adds to the challenge
    i loved this game as a child. thanks for the remake! i would like to see more speed options. it plays perfectly otherwise...
    I remember an old 'Creative Computing' review of this game for the Commodore 64. The reviewers loved the game, but the funniest thing was that the high score was held by a coffee cup strategically placed on the keyboard.

The game had played all night without dying once!!
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachtswerg View Post
    I remember an old 'Creative Computing' review of this game for the Commodore 64. The reviewers loved the game, but the funniest thing was that the high score was held by a coffee cup strategically placed on the keyboard.

The game had played all night without dying once!!
    Not sure I'd recommend the coffee cup approach on your phone...

Best way to stay alive is to keep moving. The enemy tanks are programmed to seek you out. If they line up on you at any time then they'll take pot shot. But they do take quite a long time to reload, so once they've an enemy tank has taken a shot you've got some time to line yourself up for your own shot (though you'll be fired at by all the other enemy tanks...).

If you get too close to a tank it will reverse away from you and try to line you up in its sights. They can do that really quickly and if they're already reloaded it's pretty deadly.