webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > Jewels (A Bejeweled Clone)
Jewels (A Bejeweled Clone)

Old 09/13/2010, 11:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Figured I would start an official P|C thread about the new PDK Game 'Jewels'.

Jewels is a FREE Bejeweled clone game developed by myself and Greg Hrebek [Youview Visual Voicemail / Syntactix] in just 5 days using SDL and the PDK. It's also GPL Open Source, so you can see how it is done as well.

Download the App*:
Palm USA | Palm webOS Applications | Mobile apps that go further.

Download The Source Code:
spdsktr's Jewels at master - GitHub

* Currently available fro Pre users on 1.4.5 or higher. Pixi support is forthcoming as soon as possible.

There is still a lot left that we want to do with the app, so improvements will come over the next few weeks. All, in all, not a bad result for such a short development time.

Please let us know if there is anything you would like to see added beyond the typical stuff. The game is modeled mostly after Bejeweled, and not Bejeweled 2, so that is an obvious first step.

Quote:
The world's #1 type puzzle game is now available on webOS, FREE. Match 3, 4, or 5 gems in a row to score points and rise through levels. Match more to create chains and score big points. Featuring over 40 beautiful backgrounds, and 5 different jewel sets. ** This is a clone of the classic game Bejeweled.

Author of:
WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
spdsktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: NickDG
Old 09/13/2010, 11:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

want to download but cant as verizon i playing big brrother with 1.4.5.
Old 09/13/2010, 11:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
Yes, burns me too. Hopefully this will be a thing of the past very soon.

Author of:
WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Old 09/13/2010, 12:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Awesome app! Easily the best Bejeweled clone available for webOS. (Jewels Mania is pretty good, but no sound! And Prejeweled/Swap&Drop has always seemed pretty lame).
jjeffcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/13/2010, 09:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Looking for a simple fun and did I mention FREE Bejeweled app? Then look no further than Jewels.

Palm USA | Palm webOS Applications | Mobile apps that go further.

Jewels is a collaborative app between James Harris and myself built in only 5 days! Lots of features to come so go grab it and give us your feedback.
http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...led-clone.html

Oh and did I also mention it is open source! spdsktr's Jewels at master - GitHub

Syntactix LLC

Syntactix Developer Forum

Applications: Pack 'n' Track, YouView, Jewels, Metrix Developer Tools, TripThat, Mobile Florist.

Follow development on Twitter

Please support developers by purchasing their app(s) or donating.
Arcticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/13/2010, 09:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Thanks for rubbing it in that Verizon didn't release the 1.4.5 update today...
iTz Nicholas72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/13/2010, 09:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Does a copyright issue preclude it from having bigger jewels and operating in portrait mode?
Old 09/13/2010, 09:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
Does a copyright issue preclude it from having bigger jewels and operating in portrait mode?
Copyright? No. Time and effort required? Yes. We will be adding it, but not right away. PDK stuff is sooo much harder than SDK. We could have done all this and a lot more a lot quicker in the SDK.

Author of:

Old 09/13/2010, 09:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

^^ Thanks for the info. Either way you have gone good work here.
Old 09/14/2010, 12:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
Well, looks like the update did hit afterall. Go get your bling on!

Author of:

Old 09/14/2010, 06:22 AM   #11 (permalink)

Just downloaded. Ok game. I never played Bejeweled before so this is my first sort of game like this (except for Smiles). I'm having a hard time figuring out when a jewel can be placed in a position. I've read the instructions but sometimes placing a jewel in a spot where I thought that it could go doesn't work.
Old 09/14/2010, 12:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
Jewels Mania runs in protrait mode.

(But as I mentioned, no sound!)

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
jjeffcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2010, 01:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by playboy View Post
Just downloaded. Ok game. I never played Bejeweled before so this is my first sort of game like this (except for Smiles). I'm having a hard time figuring out when a jewel can be placed in a position. I've read the instructions but sometimes placing a jewel in a spot where I thought that it could go doesn't work.
I've tested the logic on "success" and "failure" placements extensively, it works properly. There are no diagonal matches, just up/down and left/right.

We are working on some new animations and things to make it smoother. Just not sure where to devote my limited time (app wise).

Author of:

Old 09/14/2010, 07:54 PM   #14 (permalink)

Hey guys awesome job! Been looking for a decent Bejeweled type game for the webOS and this one almost hits the spot.

General feed back. Play around with the orientation or give option to user. The user experience is not up to par mainly due to the position of the jewels when in landscape mode. I found it hard to use with one hand with the jewels position on left hand side of the screen. Maybe test the right side, otherwise a portrait option would be most welcome. Also a swiping action when switching the jewels will also complete and polish up the game. Otherwise awesome job for only 5 days! Looking forward to the next update.
sherwin892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2010, 05:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

Any updates on Pixi support for this game?
OrionAntares#CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2010, 06:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
Any updates on Pixi support for this game?
As of right now SDL_Flip() is still bugged on the Pixie

We attempted an OpenGL work around but it runs pretty wonky so as soon as SDL_Flip is fixed we will make it available

Syntactix LLC

Syntactix Developer Forum

Applications: Pack 'n' Track, YouView, Jewels, Metrix Developer Tools, TripThat, Mobile Florist.

Follow development on Twitter

Please support developers by purchasing their app(s) or donating.
Arcticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2011, 03:05 PM   #17 (permalink)

I love this game. I do have a couple of feature requests, if you get time to work on this some more. 1) could you have the game start up with the sound off, and let me turn it on when I want it? I would sometimes like to play at work (during breaks, of course) and would rather it come up silently. 2) could you save the high scores somewhere so we can know what to shoot for?

Thanks,
Patrick
spreng is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0