1.    #1  
    when hiking or traveling I don't always (if ever) have a data connection. The point is: how can I keep the maps loaded in cache for offline use? Google maps doesn'even start in offline mode. Tried bfgmaps and others, they all need a data connection, be it wifi or 3G.
    did you look in the navit thread? That's where all the smart gps and map guys are. I'll try to find the link.

edit: try this thread-
    http://m.forums.precentral.net/webos-internals/224609-navit-pre.html
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Mapping Tool also allows using offline map tiles. WARNING: because of the block size on the /media/internal partition, the map tiles will take up much, much more drive space than the total of their actual file sizes. Don't put morre tiles on your Pre than you'll really need.
  4.    #4  
    @cantaffordit: navit doesn't load maps a all, it shiws a blue dot for my location but no map. It still needs some twraking.
    @Analog: I need to look further into mapping tool, last time I checked it didn't load tiles at all.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    It does for me. Don't forget to go into the Preferences and set Renderer to "Offline." You have to create your tiles in OSMTracker format.

And don't forget what I said about the tiles taking up more drive space than their aggregate file size...ignore this at your peril.
  6.    #6  
    Oh I see, didn't know I had to make tiles on my own.
    is there a way to do it directly on the pre?
    Franklin eBookMan >> Palm Zire71 >> Lifedrive with flash mod >> Palm Pre Plus
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Not that I am aware of.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Is's a shame that there is no solid Google Maps implementation on webOS. Offline Maps with vector graphics rule!
    Any chance that this will ever come to webOS?
    Mapping Tool Pro is great and well worth the money. It will automatically cache an area for you.