1.    #1  
    I ran across a free app in the Palm catalog that I had not previously seen (although it appears to have been there for a while) called iTriage.

I downloaded it and upon launching it discovered that it is not a real "app", but merely launches the web browser to the link Mobile iTriage

Not intending to address the usefulness or lack of same for the info available at that link, my bigger question is whether something like this should even be in the app catalog. It's basically just a bookmark, not even an app. It's bad enough that we have spam apps like Brighthouse/Digit/Appible etc., but if people can just create a bookmark and have it approved for the app catalog, where is that likely to end?

Anyone else have an opinion?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Well, Bank of America did the same thing... it's kind of annoying...

I wholeheartedly concur with you.
  3.    #3  
    I think maybe I'll become a developer. heh-heh....
    My device history:

- Jim J.

hahaha. In all honesty, my apps kind of do the same thing. The only difference is instead of using a webview, I just extract the "important" parts of a website and wrap them up in a "WebOS Theme", so to speak. It's not that big of a deal, but I think it just shows more... effort I guess.

I support the fact that we're getting "more apps". Even though... yeah...

Apple app store has this problem all over too. I'm just wondering how many of their millions upon millions of apps are just mobile versions of websites.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    hahaha. In all honesty, my apps kind of do the same thing. The only difference is instead of using a webview, I just extract the "important" parts of a website and wrap them up in a "WebOS Theme", so to speak. It's not that big of a deal, but I think it just shows more... effort I guess.
    That, in my view, is a legitimate app, and lots of others do that. (Several Wikipedia viewer apps, for example).

Just a bookmark and nothing else seems pretty lame.

I guess it's no worse than so many of these e-books where one book is the entire app....
    My device history:

- Jim J.

I don't think there's really anything wrong with it. Not the best solution, but I don't think it should be prohibited. For a lot of users, it may help with discovery of mobile websites they otherwise wouldn't have known of.
    Honestly, if that e-book apps developer had just built one standalone e-book manager, and included all of these as add-ons for that app, he definitely would have made a LOT more money and come off as a lot more respectable... oh well. To each his own.

And yeah, I agree they shouldn't be banned, cuz as I said it inflates the app count and makes WebOS that much more desirable, but for those who it's already desirable... it's a little disappointing. Trust me, it only takes a few lines of code to turn a mobile (or simple) webpage into a WebOS app. I did it with MedDict within 4 hours or so (Might have gone faster were I not at work :P). Granted I have experience, but anyone else can do it within a day or two, max.
    I was actually thinking of doing that at some point, I can't now since school opened up and I have no time. I was going to make a request a mobile website as a native WebOS app thread, and just ask for a few days in between each request. Unfortunately, I never got around to it. Don't know if I still can or not, but eventually I'll put up something like that.
    I didn't realize it was just a bookmark link. I lost it after swapping devices and it is no longer in the app cat. I just made the bookmark. Thanks again