Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    It was never about the $1.49, or the specific app for that matter (the app was HORRIBLE), it was about having no recourse if a developer pulls this kind of stunt. Here goes (start the flaming here):

Developer: ScienceApps
    Original App Name: Advanced BAC Calculator
    "New" App Name: AlcoTest Drunk Calculator

It should again be noted that the apps are the same, both for entering the number and type of drinks, then giving a BAC estimate. Even the app ICON is the same in the app catalog. I'd first tried the "LITE" version as homebrew, then I purchased the full app in the app catalog when it arrived. It needed a lot of work, and I gave my feedback in the app catalog. I wish it hadn't come to this.
    Was Workerb33's suggestion that this was a beta catalog app possibly the case? This would explain how this could have happened on Palm's watch. It just doesn't make sense that a developer could unilaterally pull a PAID app, when that means—given the way Palm does apps—depriving customers of something they already bought.
  3.    #23  
    Unfortunately it wasn't from the beta catalog, I don't use that. :-(
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    Advanced BAC Calculator was added in April.
    http://www.precentral.net/new-app-catalog-05-april-2010

AlcoTest Drunk Calculator was added in July.
    http://www.precentral.net/new-app-catalog-28-july-2010
    well that sucks heavy.
    try calling visa. god knows 1.49 can turn into 30 bucks easy with charging D:
    or actually send the log file >.>
  6.    #26  
    @ray1b: The link you posted was when it was updated, not first posted. Also, click the links for the updated apps... Notice if you click the link for advanced bac calculator that there's no info? No picture, description, price... I'm sad :'(
    Last edited by ihatethisregistration; 09/05/2010 at 11:15 AM.
  7.    #27  
    This is worth noting too. On the dev site, it lists "advanced blood alcohol calculator" on nov 30, on the very next post (also nov 30) is a post about "alcotest drunk calculator" asking for new drinks. New drinks for a program that was never mentioned before? In the post about "alcotest drunk calculator" the tags say "alcohol bac calculator". Also in the alcotest post,the last thing the admin says is:
    "Advanced BAC Calculator will have lots of upgrades. So stay tuned !"

He's talking about advanced bac calc? But wait, isn't this for his "new" program?

After nov 30, advanced bac calculator is never mentioned again.

Palm WebOS | ScienceApps Palm Pre | Palm Pixi Page 2
    Here is an excerpt from Palm's App Catalog Terms and Conditions web site that is relevant to your situation:

DELIVERY OF APPLICATIONS: If delivery of an Application you purchased is interrupted, you will be able to resume or restart such delivery at no additional charge. On occasion, technical problems may delay or prevent delivery of an Application. Your exclusive and sole remedy with respect to such Application that is not delivered within a reasonable period will be replacement of such Application, or refund of the price paid for such Application if such Application is no longer available for download.
    I would contact Palm's support again, point them to their own web site (linked above) and ask for a refund based upon their own Terms and Conditions.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  9.    #29  
    One more thing to add to my previous post. On the last post about advanced bac calculator (nov 30), scroll to the bottom. It says:
    Categories: Alcotest : Drunk Calculator

The category in a post about "advanced bac calculator" is "alcotest"? Why is this app categorized with the same name as a "new" app?
  10.    #30  
    Thanks for that link, it should help a LOT. Methinks i'll be making another call on Tuesday. You made my day DanPLC.
    Quote Originally Posted by ihatethisregistration View Post
    Thanks for that link, it should help a LOT. Methinks i'll be making another call on Tuesday. You made my day DanPLC.
    Hopefully it should make the support call pretty straightforward considering this is their own terms and conditions.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    This is an unfortunate turn of events. I hope this situation makes us all put more time into investigating and reviewing apps, as well as sharing any information like this as soon as it arises so we can all put it under a microscope.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    I tell you what, you're not the only one, and be glad it was ONLY $1.49 and not $9.99 like me. I downloaded RemoteWin by DeepThoughtSoftware(months ago), followed ALL the instructions, did all the necessary port forwarding and aside from seeing about the top half of my desktop on my phone, the app did absolutely F-all for me. I tried repeatedly to get in contact with the developer by email, by telephone, by the website. And got absolutely no response. I gave him all the time in the world to make things right and try and help me to get it to work, I would do that for someone if they gave me $10 for a program. I felt the exact same way you did about phony acclamations and reviews for the product. As well, I saw just as many negative reviews as positive. Very, VERY, poor customer service from their part. Totally not impressed, want my money back but know full well that it's gone along with the alleged support that was supposed to be there with the app.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  14.    #34  
    @sledge007: Ouch, that hurts. Sorry to hear that you got @*&$-ed. :-( What frustrates me most is there's no recourse these days. What CAN we do when things like this happen? Only one thing: post about it... It's not very gratifying. Wish I could be of some assistance.
    you paid a buck fifty for an app to tell you that you have had too much to drink?
    I'm long over it now but definately take the time to research an app before considering shelling out a few bucks for it. It was a lesson learned and like I (and OP) posted before about misleading reviews etc....To take a look at some of the reviews it would seem that it works as proclaimed but with ZERO support from the developer, seemed like a quick cash grab to me. I would think if I was in his shoes, (and had a legit app), I would try to appease the masses as quickly as possible, thereby getting good reviews so that more people would buy my product. But that's just me
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  17.    #37  
    @millworkman: LOL, I was hoping no one was going to notice that, makes me seem a bit loser-y, doesn't it? My wife's a CHP officer, so we had fun at a party putting in people's drinks while she was doing FSTs, then we compared the two results. A good time was had by all. :-D
    Quote Originally Posted by ihatethisregistration View Post
    @millworkman: LOL, I was hoping no one was going to notice that, makes me seem a bit loser-y, doesn't it? My wife's a CHP officer, so we had fun at a party putting in people's drinks while she was doing FSTs, then we compared the two results. A good time was had by all. :-D
    So do tell.....what were you're findings? remotely accurate? way off?...I sure wouldn't trust my phone to tell me if I've had too much to drink --

"But officer, my phone said it was ok to drive!!!" -- I don't think the judge will accept that excuse
    In the end, what's sad is Palm probably spent more than $1.49 "handling" this particular case.
  20.    #40  
    She'd also brought her portable breath unit from work (not quite as accurate as the full scale breathalyzers), she was dead-nuts accurate... The program? Not so much. It varied pretty widely, however, it usually (aka most but not all of the time) over estimated rather than under. So you might be .07, but the bac calc might say .08 or .09. It was pretty fun. I imagine that even without someone to do field sobriety tests, and knowing the program isn't accurate, using the bac calculator might still make a fun drinking game (provided you're staying at your friend's house instead of driving home).
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast