1.    #1  
    So I'm away from my home country (USA) for several weeks. And as I read on Precentral, apps are getting updated everyday. But I have a verizon pre plus and my current location has GSM not CDMA. BUT, there is wifi on the island. So, I go to a wifi hotspot, turn on my wifi, connect to the internet, enjoy reading a bit off precentral...and I decide, let's just see about updating one of my apps.

So, I tap the app store and it seems like it's going to start up ok...the form of the main page is forming, but not populated with the most current apps and recommended apps...then I get the yellow triangle warning sign that says this action could not be completed now. What gives? Why can't my pre update an app through wifi? I do it back home all the time.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

2.    #2  
    Wow, I knew Diego Garcia is really out of the way, but I was hoping that my post would make it onto Precentral forums at the least! Hello? Hello? Is anybody out there? Did my posting get marooned too? Please help me, I've fallen into a data-connectivity black hole and I can't get up!

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    not sure if it checks for a carrier signal first. P.s. You won't see all the new items in the feed anyway because many programs are being released 1.4.5 or higher (unles you already downloaded webos 1.4.5). Sorry I'm not much help
    Don't know. Try turning on airplane mode then using wifi. I had no problems checking the app catalog when i was in Europe a few weeks ago with my pre when i was in germany, austria, france, italy, spain, or switzerland.
  5.    #5  
    I don't think Verizon has put 1.4.5 out there yet for the Pre+ have they? Anyway, if I have to be on my carrier signal for that, I won't see it here!

I do have it on Airplane mode when I try wifi on the island. Maybe it's because the connection is super slow, it can't keep up with the pre's expectation of getting a response back from the wifi router? I don't know either. Is there a way to tell the pre to wait just a bit longer when it's sending a request, and then waiting for a response? Maybe that is the problem.

I'll give it another go here, maybe 3rd time's the charm?

Thanks for your ideas.

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    When I was in France a few weeks ago had no problem with this..
    I love my Pre :P

Follow me on Twitter!
    it knows by your ip address that you aren't in the US, maybe?. Not sure what the appstore keys on for location. Have you tries any of the dns spoofing servers? Not sure if that would work for anything but the browser. Also, are there downoads for the apps that you could access with quickinstall or internalz?
  8.    #8  
    Hey, it worked! I tried it again, and at first I got the "try again later" error message, but then i 'swiped' back and tried again, and it worked! I had the error a couple of times, but mostly I was able to tap on an app, and if it had an update, download the app update. I updated a few, but not all...the available speed is somewhere a dialup modem speed and a half speed of the slowest DSL lite. Thank you guys for telling me it worked in other countries for you...gave me a reason to try again.

One app I wanted to update was Rockus Sound Sampler, whose trial was up about 2 weeks ago. I use it as a sound machine to help mask noise while I sleep. I also have the Rockus Sound Machine, whic I bought. The Sampler is just a version where they are asking folks to try out some extra sounds. I like them better than the original, so the update extends the use of the trial app until the end of September. I'll sleep good tonight! But it took about 30 minutes to download the update. At home, it would take maybe a minute. The sound files must be big! Since I have to pay $4 per hour of wifi use here (yeah...the download of the free app cost me $2!), I'll only use it to download my most necessary apps. But it's good to know there is a way.

9.    #9  
    I made it home...now have 1.4.5., angry birds...updated all my apps...life is good!

My little 5 week adventure turned into 12 weeks, but still it was a pretty cool adventure.