1.    #1  
    So here I am sitting there going yeah this rock's I don't have to get up and walk over to my pc and mess the VCL player I can just sit here and do it all from my couch but.......I still have to get up and open up the VCL player and when I'm done I have to close it well that's no good, So what I'm thinking is maybe add an "Open and close VCl media player" Option, just a thought have a good one and one more thing I do like this app keep em coming
    the thing is - some app has to talk to the remote.

VLC has an interface which the remote could use.
    We could write another app to open and close VLC, but then that would need to be started (and shut down if you think all apps have to be shut down).

I like the simplicity of avoiding the extra app - so I just set VLC to startup automatically (and I'm not sure why you think it needs to be shut down...)
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    ps - another advantage of using the vlc interface is that it is already there for any platform that vlc works on, so I don't need to write a communication helper for mac, pc, linux

also - when you want to shut down the computer, if you have an iPhone, then 'Off Remote' is available!
    Hobbyist Software
    Loving the APP some problems with installing but nothing manually installing Bonjour print services didnt cure.

I would like to see a bring to front option (maybe it is there but I cant find it) . I have got round by using the free logitech mouse/pad app but it is a pain switching
    if you press fullscreen, that should bring VLC to the front.

you can also set a setting somewhere for VLC to sit in the front at all times.
    Hobbyist Software
    @ The dead king
    My way would be much longer as I had to go down in the cellar. I use VLC on my server (without speaker) and stream music to a streaming client in the living room or to my Palm Pre.

Now I installed VLC as a service so it will run in background whenever the PC (in my case the server) is up. This is very simple, for example ...

Code:
    vlc.exe -I ntservice --ntservice-install --ntservice-options "--sout=#transcode{vcodec=none,acodec=mp3,ab=192,channels=2,samplerate=44100}:http{dst=:8080/stream.mp3} --no-sout-rtp-sap --no-sout-standard-sap --sout-keep"
    Just edit the options in a way you need it.