Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Official Neato! Support Thread

-----
    Downloaded the coolest app from the catalog, Zhephree's Neato! I am constantly wanting to send data (especially directions) to my phone from a computer and this just makes it an absolute snap to do.

I can send text & web links. When the weblink is a map location or a set of directions, Neato! conveniently opens the appropriate application on the phone. Even bringing up google maps in "directions mode" when I send it a link to directions.

Some wishlist items:
    1. The ability to choose which application will get maps input. It currently defaults to google maps, and most of the time, I'd rather it get sent to the navigation app - in my case Sprint Navigation. It'd be cool if this decision could be made upon receipt of the message, but a preference option would be good, too
    2. When the Neato! app is not running, or when the screen is off, it'd be nice if messages could be queued up at the server and then delivered to me.
    3. I'd love a way to send data from the phone back to the PC. Possibly via Zhephree's webpage?
    4. Have a public URL that is distinguished from the URL you already generate. This URL can be given away to anyone, but it will only be active when I enable it from the app. That way I could send something from my friend's computer without fear that my friend will be constantly bombarding me with crap all the time. (Yes, my friends would do this. They'd think it was funny. And given the chance, I'd do it right back to them.)

I also have a few questions:
    • Pressing "Generate URL" multiple times seems to create the same URL every time. If I run neato after I've doctor'ed my phone, will I still get the same URL?
    • What if I swap out phones? E.g. a warranty or insurance replacement. Will I then get a new URL?

Overall, a fantastic application! Possibly the best $1.43 I've spent this year.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 09/03/2010 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Added URL to Official Support Thread
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I downloaded it this morning too and am very impressed already, although there's definitely room for improvement.
    I agree with your 2nd and 3rd suggestions especially; if the author incorporated those, it'd be a really amazing app.

I can see myself using this a lot to send myself routes on Google Maps, and also route directions for getting around London using TfL's Journey Planner before I head out somewhere, to keep open in a card as I make my way across town.
    Google already can send a map to your phone via SMS or to your nav app. I use it all of the time.
    This app has chaned my gmail login settings. I keep getting an email from gmail saying my login could not be validated. Anyone else getting this? I made sure my password was correct and it still did not work. Help please!
    I agree it's cool. I wish it didn't leave something in the notification area. And I wish you could make it open a url on my pc. I could really freak my qife out if browsers kept popping up on her pc...
    The minute I heard about Neato! the other day, I immediately tweeted out an awesome new use for it ...

I'm working with zhephree to support "Send to Preware" buttons on websites that then pass the homebrew application's installation URL to Neato which then uses Preware to install it.

It's a homebrew version of the "Send to Phone" button on Palm's site, only better

For example, you may be in the middle of a news article on your favourite webOS site talking about an awesome new WebOS Internals utility like Save/Restore or Lumberjack, and there will be a link in the article which you can then click to tell Preware directly to install that application. Magical

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The minute I heard about Neato! the other day, I immediately tweeted out an awesome new use for it ...

I'm working with zhephree to support "Send to Preware" buttons on websites that then pass the homebrew application's installation URL to Neato which then uses Preware to install it.

It's a homebrew version of the "Send to Phone" button on Palm's site, only better

For example, you may be in the middle of a news article on your favourite webOS site talking about an awesome new WebOS Internals utility like Save/Restore or Lumberjack, and there will be a link in the article which you can then click to tell Preware directly to install that application. Magical

-- Rod
    This sounds pretty amazing; will developers be able to use these kind of links in the forums here too?
    Now you've mentioned this, it really makes Palm's own method a little outdated. It seems there are a number of little things that could really benefit from Mojo Messaging Service...
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenX View Post
    This sounds pretty amazing; will developers be able to use these kind of links in the forums here too?
    Now you've mentioned this, it really makes Palm's own method a little outdated. It seems there are a number of little things that could really benefit from Mojo Messaging Service...
    I expect developers will be able to do the same thing in the forums. However, we must be vigilant that this mechanism does not become a vector for transmitting viruses and trojans ...

-- Rod
    However, we must be vigilant that this mechanism does not become a vector for transmitting viruses and trojans ...

-- Rod
    I suspect this program could already have some vicious code in it. This COULD all be a coincidence but when I installed this app last night, I did the link on my computer, syncing it with my phone and everything and then a couple minutes later, I got an email from google on my phone saying that my login credentials could not be verified and that I needed to change my password. This is the first time I have ever had this happen and it was very strange that it happened right after I started to use 'Neato!'. This morning, I went to login to my gmail account on my computer and it had to re-verify that I was me by sending a text to my phone. When I got into my account, there was clearly spam being sent from my account and some suspicous emails. I have narrowed it down to probably being related to this app. Can you or anyone look into this? And has this happened to anybody else or is this an isolated incident?
    update: I changed my gmail password (through the settings on my Pre) and it has happened again. I deleted Neato, restarted my phone, changed my gmail password (again on my phone) and it has not happened since. Deleting Neato seemed to work.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    I suspect this program could already have some vicious code in it. This COULD all be a coincidence but when I installed this app last night, I did the link on my computer, syncing it with my phone and everything and then a couple minutes later, I got an email from google on my phone saying that my login credentials could not be verified and that I needed to change my password. This is the first time I have ever had this happen and it was very strange that it happened right after I started to use 'Neato!'. This morning, I went to login to my gmail account on my computer and it had to re-verify that I was me by sending a text to my phone. When I got into my account, there was clearly spam being sent from my account and some suspicous emails. I have narrowed it down to probably being related to this app. Can you or anyone look into this? And has this happened to anybody else or is this an isolated incident?
    update: I changed my gmail password (through the settings on my Pre) and it has happened again. I deleted Neato, restarted my phone, changed my gmail password (again on my phone) and it has not happened since. Deleting Neato seemed to work.
    I also downloaded and installed Neato! last night. Nothing that you've experienced has happened to me.
    Hey, I'm the developer of neato!. There is absolutely no "vicious code" in it. The app doesn't tie into Google or your Google account in any way. This was most likely an odd coincidence. If you don't believe me, I'll gladly email you the source code.

That's how much I stand behind my work.

Edit: thought about this some more: when your phone is on, neato! is connected. If your phone has a low data connection speed, neato! could be using your bandwidth, which could be making your Google account time-out and it's thinking that your password is invalid.

But again, neato! (nor any app I've written) maliciously changes any phone settings. In fact, no app can alter your Google settings. It's technologically impossible for a webOS app to do that as our SDK does not grant that level of access.
    Last edited by Zhephree; 08/29/2010 at 10:43 PM. Reason: further clarification
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Downloaded the coolest app from the catalog, Zhephree's Neato! I am constantly wanting to send data (especially directions) to my phone from a computer and this just makes it an absolute snap to do.

I can send text & web links. When the weblink is a map location or a set of directions, Neato! conveniently opens the appropriate application on the phone. Even bringing up google maps in "directions mode" when I send it a link to directions.

Some wishlist items:
    1. The ability to choose which application will get maps input. It currently defaults to google maps, and most of the time, I'd rather it get sent to the navigation app - in my case Sprint Navigation. It'd be cool if this decision could be made upon receipt of the message, but a preference option would be good, too
    2. When the Neato! app is not running, or when the screen is off, it'd be nice if messages could be queued up at the server and then delivered to me.
    3. I'd love a way to send data from the phone back to the PC. Possibly via Zhephree's webpage?
    4. Have a public URL that is distinguished from the URL you already generate. This URL can be given away to anyone, but it will only be active when I enable it from the app. That way I could send something from my friend's computer without fear that my friend will be constantly bombarding me with crap all the time. (Yes, my friends would do this. They'd think it was funny. And given the chance, I'd do it right back to them.)

I also have a few questions:
    • Pressing "Generate URL" multiple times seems to create the same URL every time. If I run neato after I've doctor'ed my phone, will I still get the same URL?
    • What if I swap out phones? E.g. a warranty or insurance replacement. Will I then get a new URL?

Overall, a fantastic application! Possibly the best $1.43 I've spent this year.

Hey, thanks for downloading! I can answer a couple of your questions:

1) neato! uses the webOS default programs to open directions. You can change this by activating the application launcher, the tapping the application menu in the upper left of the screen and selecting "Default Applications." There, change "Directions" from Google Maps to Sprint Navigator.

2) Messages are queued up, but the app doesn't display them right now. Planned for the next version.

3) Definitely want to add Phone-to-PC capability. I'm working on a solution already!

4) That's an interesting idea, but would take far more man-power and infrastructure than I can currently offer.

5) Doctoring your phone will produce the same URL. It creates the URL based off of your phone's device ID, which won't change after a doctoring.

6) However, this does mean that if you replace your phone, you'll have a new URL and have to grab a new bookmarklet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhephree View Post
    Hey, I'm the developer of neato!. There is absolutely no "vicious code" in it. The app doesn't tie into Google or your Google account in any way. This was most likely an odd coincidence. If you don't believe me, I'll gladly email you the source code.

That's how much I stand behind my work.

Edit: thought about this some more: when your phone is on, neato! is connected. If your phone has a low data connection speed, neato! could be using your bandwidth, which could be making your Google account time-out and it's thinking that your password is invalid.

But again, neato! (nor any app I've written) maliciously changes any phone settings. In fact, no app can alter your Google settings. It's technologically impossible for a webOS app to do that as our SDK does not grant that level of access.
    Yeah, I can not see a possible way that Neato! could be causing this google account problem, and trust the author of Neato! (who is a respected developer in our community).

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Great App!

Is there a patch in the works that can remove the dashboard icon?

PS.
    Doesn't Palm check for malicious code before acceptance into the app catalog?
    APP & Patch Makers Get on the:webOS Developers Map
    My Apps: Presentation Controller (for PowerPoint and Open Office Impress), PC Display Master ,Handheld X-Ray H.E. (Halloween Edition), Text Morpher ⓦⓘⓣⓗ ⓑⓤⓑⓑⓛⓔ ⓣⓔⓧⓣ plus Ŧεẍṫ ℉яεαḱεя
    I've reviewed the code, and can confirm for the folks here that there is nothing malicious in it (as expected).

However, you might want to hash the nduid before sending it over the internet in the clear. Chuq from Palm suggested this to the metrix folks as well ...

You might also want to think about what mischief people can get up to if they get hold of someone else's nduid (something that can be done in 1 second by plugging a palm into a linux machine's usb port).

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    2) Messages are queued up, but the app doesn't display them right now. Planned for the next version.

3) Definitely want to add Phone-to-PC capability. I'm working on a solution already!

4) That's an interesting idea, but would take far more man-power and infrastructure than I can currently offer.
    Glad to hear that you're working on items 2 and 3; definitely good upgrades! Personally, I don't think number 4 is important. It's a nice idea in a way, but I can't see the vast majority of users ever using it. I really don't think many people would put a bookmarklet in their browser just to send various things to a friend's phone.

On a related note though... Have you thought about what might happen when new webOS products are released, and about pushing information between devices? In the future, a lot of us might have a PC/Mac, webOS phone and webOS tablet. Have you thought about being able to push information between, say, the phone and tablet? It seems to me to be a valid user scenario, and workable if everything's based on device IDs... The only thing I think there'd be trouble with is being able to select an open card to push over; I don't think Palm gives you that kind of access? And if not, then the only way to do it would be to patch all the apps that you wanted to have this functionality, so it could be done with dropdowns in each app sending the information in the card (i.e., in the browser, the page URL) to Neato!?.. Obviously this isn't a big concern right now, just curious about if you've considered it yet.
    Loving Neato so far A couple of suggestions / requests:

1) Any plans for sending stuff from a PC to the phone that doesn't originate in a browser? I'd love to be able to send stuff to my phone (e.g. stuff copied from emails / documents, messages sent from scripts (I'm a big Growl user and this would, sir, rock!) etc.)

2) Can we get an option for a sound to be played when a message comes in? Preferably this would just be for text messages. It'd also make for a quick and easy way to find your phone
    I've reviewed the code, and can confirm for the folks here that there is nothing malicious in it (as expected).

However, you might want to hash the nduid before sending it over the internet in the clear. Chuq from Palm suggested this to the metrix folks as well ...

You might also want to think about what mischief people can get up to if they get hold of someone else's nduid (something that can be done in 1 second by plugging a palm into a linux machine's usb port).

-- Rod
    Good call on the NDUID... I actually thought of that last night... switching to that model in the next version.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenX View Post
    Glad to hear that you're working on items 2 and 3; definitely good upgrades! Personally, I don't think number 4 is important. It's a nice idea in a way, but I can't see the vast majority of users ever using it. I really don't think many people would put a bookmarklet in their browser just to send various things to a friend's phone.

On a related note though... Have you thought about what might happen when new webOS products are released, and about pushing information between devices? In the future, a lot of us might have a PC/Mac, webOS phone and webOS tablet. Have you thought about being able to push information between, say, the phone and tablet? It seems to me to be a valid user scenario, and workable if everything's based on device IDs... The only thing I think there'd be trouble with is being able to select an open card to push over; I don't think Palm gives you that kind of access? And if not, then the only way to do it would be to patch all the apps that you wanted to have this functionality, so it could be done with dropdowns in each app sending the information in the card (i.e., in the browser, the page URL) to Neato!?.. Obviously this isn't a big concern right now, just curious about if you've considered it yet.
    That's a good thought. I think, right now, this should do, and once I'm able to go Phone-PC, one could always go, PC-Other Phone, but that is interesting. I'll probably hold out until a tablet surfaces, as I see that being the most likely set of duplicate devices: phone and tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by Norf View Post
    Loving Neato so far A couple of suggestions / requests:

1) Any plans for sending stuff from a PC to the phone that doesn't originate in a browser? I'd love to be able to send stuff to my phone (e.g. stuff copied from emails / documents, messages sent from scripts (I'm a big Growl user and this would, sir, rock!) etc.)

2) Can we get an option for a sound to be played when a message comes in? Preferably this would just be for text messages. It'd also make for a quick and easy way to find your phone
    1) Considering it. Depending on how I get Phone to PC messaging to work, that might come sooner than later!

2) Not a bad idea, although, neato! won't receive messages if your screen is off, so, if you lost your phone, unless it was set to never sleep, you wouldn't hear the sound.
    Great app Zhephree! I can't believe how useful it is. I do have a simple suggestion. Can you add a favicon for the generated link? It would be much easier to pick out the neato! link on my bookmarks bar in my browser.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast