Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know there's not a medical dictionary for webOS (yet).

But are there any web-based medical dictionaries? (Esp. one with a mobile-friendly viewing option).
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    FYI, Lexicomp offers Stedman's Medical Dictionary within their suite.

Also checkout the link below. Seems to display pretty well on the Pre:

Free Medical Dictionary Online-Medical-Dictionary.org

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    If it helps any, MediPedia has a lot of information on the human body and parts and such. Definitely worth a try. Not exactly what you're looking for but it's something.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Hey Gaurav, that's a great link. I'm turning that into an app and throwing it up into the catalog for free. Hopefully, by the end of today. It seems brainlessly simple.

I need an app icon, and a name. I was going to go with "MedDict".

Thoughts?
    Sorry I am not very good with graphics, but you could overlay these two and it would turn out pretty good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
  6.    #6  
    This looks like a pretty good icon:

"MedDict" or "Free Medical Dictionary" either one would be good names.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

I'll try out both, see what comes up. jjeffcoat, the icon you gave is a really good one, but it seems supremely generic. Not always a bad thing, but I like to add a little bit of uniqueness to my apps. I'm going to try Butters3605's suggestion of overlaying the two images and post it back and see what you guys think.
    What do you guys think so far?

I've got the functionality down.. Although it looks like crap. haha.

I'm putting it up on beta feed. Will have link up shortly.

Any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SirataXero; 08/26/2010 at 01:25 PM.
    looks good so far, it is a work in progress

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    looks good so far, it is a work in progress
    haha, yeah no kidding.

I actually went ahead and submitted it to the catalog. I figured why not. It does what it says it does. I just need to add more functionality (as needed) slowly.

I'm also submitting it into homebrew so people can grab it from here (It'll be up here faster than it will to the catalog... I hope).
    http://uploads.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/meddict

Up and running!

Input/Suggestions/Thoughts?
  12.    #12  
    Will give it a look when I have a chance, may not be until it's in Preware or the catalog...
    My device history:

- Jim J.

you are right does what it says, looks good so far. What other functionality were you thinking about adding?

I am horrid speller, spell checking would be nice...

Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Will give it a look when I have a chance, may not be until it's in Preware or the catalog...
    Sounds good. Looking forward to your feedback.

you are right does what it says, looks good so far. What other functionality were you thinking about adding?

I am horrid speller, spell checking would be nice...
    Not a bad idea! That's one idea I could implement.

Another one I had was that the website has listings of all terms available, separated by letters. I could make a list of letters, and when selected it would show you all terms with that letter, something like this:

a : on Medical Dictionary Online
    What other functionality were you thinking about adding?
    I, personally speaking, don't really like the UI much. I might change it around, try to make it prettier...

Any ideas on what would make it look better?

I think the background image from jjeffcoat looks REALLY good. I just want to embelish the app more, since its pretty simple and straightforward.
    Last edited by SirataXero; 08/26/2010 at 06:51 PM.
    Great start! When there is no hit with the search term, I'm not seeing the 'suggested terms'
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Great start! When there is no hit with the search term, I'm not seeing the 'suggested terms'
    Hey Doc! Yeah I didn't think this one through enough... Haha. I threw this app together within an hour. I'm working on improving it and have almost finished the suggested terms/"spell check". It should be out and updated by tonight.
    Great! Look forward to the update.
    v0.5.0 pushed to homebrew

Search results fixed. It now shows a list of suggested terms if you misspell the term or lookup something that doesn't belong.

I need to now fix the background image scrolling issue. The image is limited in size and stays on the top if the page content (list) is longer than one page. You scroll down but the image stays stuck on top. Need to fix that soon... any pointers, anyone?
  20.    #20  
    Two suggestions I have right off:

1. Make the "Enter" key initiate a search (right now the only way is to tap the "Search" button).

2. Allow browsing by alphabet, using the links
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
    like the browser version does.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast