1.    #1  
    I noticed today that the Palm Backup app has not backed up files since 8/6/10 (about 17 days ago). It's set to backup daily.

Is there an alternative app? Is there a way to restore the Palm Backup app?
    wish i had an answer for ya, mine is doing the same thing, i've been updating manually every couple of days, seemed to start for me a few days before the web os update for sprint...
    "The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit
    Same here. Backup is not backing up consistently for me as well. Don't know why. Manual backup is also flacky as well with numerous failed attempts due to "server busy" or unavailable errors. I've set my default profile to google so I'm not worried about losing my contacts or calendar. But the backup service does backup your apps, memos etc. I would advise doing a manual backup every few days just in case and especially if you are installing any experimental homebrew, patches, kernals and especially if you webosdoctor you phone...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  4.    #4  
    I cannot even do the backup manually. When I press the "preparing" button, it goes blue for only 1-2 seconds.

Is there a way to tell if the backup is actually working?
    Quote Originally Posted by precal.hdh View Post
    I cannot even do the backup manually. When I press the "preparing" button, it goes blue for only 1-2 seconds.

Is there a way to tell if the backup is actually working?

You should contact Palm support and trouble shoot this if you cannot even do a manual backup. There might be something corrupted in your Palm profile...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    The fix for this unfortunately, is to do a full erase, and log back onto your palm profile.

Once logged back in..go to backup, and do a manual backup. That should fix the problem.

Best of luck.
    I believe the full erase is a little extreme.

Try turning off backup (confirming the delete) then turning it back on.
    A full erase AND webos doctor will definitely fix it. That's what Palm support will tell you to do ultimately as well if the profile has been corrupted. If you haven't been able to backup in a while, definitely use the homebrew backup utility to save all your call history, text messages, memos etc if they have not been recently backed up to palm's servers. Then do the full erase and webosdoctor...

@ alex.dobeck, I've tried that process already. Goes back to not backing up at all. I experiment on my three phones almost every day.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I had similar issues recently and finally noticed a pattern - if I was home on wifi, my backup (auto or manual) failed but when I would leave the house it would complete just fine. Googled and found someone with a similar issue. The fix that worked for me was to change the MTU setting on my home router to 1480 - it was previously set to 1492. Your mileage may vary...
    I remember this happening after I upgraded to 1.4.5... just ran Backup.. and closed it when it took more than 30 mins to finish. Restart Pre. Ran it again. Finished in ~5 mins or so.

Checked again today and noticed that it hasn't updated since 8/20. Ran it manually and again, finished in ~5 mins. Will check if it goes automatic daily tomorrow..

Edit: Checked my router's MTU as well, 1492. Setting to auto for now. Using DD-WRT.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Mine never failed me on Bell network. Latest backup was done this morning at 6h14am.
  13.    #13  
    Gaurav,

I took your advice and called Verizon/Palm tech support. They had me remove the battery & reboot.

The backup appears to work. I don't know if the tech support representative did some "black magic" on her end.

Thanks.