1.    #1  
    I don't know if this is really a review in the proper sense, but I have a few thoughts about Radiant by Hexage. I'll say up front that I'll probably catch some flak for this, but here's the short review:

Adequate time passer with serious flaws. This fills a vacant spot in the WebOS app environment, but a game that has spent as much time on other platforms shouldn't have the glaring flaws that this one does.

Now, some exposition (and, really, who wouldn't use the word "exposition", given the chance?)

This game is going to get great reviews. A quick check of the app catalog shows that it already has some. That's not a measure of the quality of the game, though; it's more a measure of how much people desperately want any sort of games on WebOS. Good, but not great, graphics and simple controls make it sometimes fun, but all too often a badly defective way to pass time. Other people have covered the good aspects of this game; rather than just repeat, I'll cut to the chase. Here are my dislikes:

1) Bosses should *never* have an attack that simply cannot be countered. This game has just that. One example: a boss' missile launched at low enough altitude can't be defeated. Another example is given later.

2) If the player's ship is scrolled all the way to one side, half of the weapons can't be accessed. Since the game pauses to switch weapons, why put them in an arc around the ship that makes half of them unavailable? For that matter, why not put them in the center of the screen? That goes hand in hand with another problem...

3) It's far too easy to select the wrong weapon. Again, since the game pauses anyway, why not put the weapons icons in the center of the screen and make them much larger? Yes, you can just switch again, but the game has progressed during that time, enough that missiles may no longer be targetable. This is a problem since...

4) Bosses are far too well armored. I hit one of them with hundreds of level 5 plasma shots and still didn't defeat the thing. It's one thing to have a strong opponent. It's another when it takes so long to kill the damn thing that hand fatigue becomes a genuine concern. Developer: tedium != challenge.

The same basic problem occurs in other contexts, such as the counted-down "planetary detonation" asteroid field. Essentially, this is a "boss", in the form of an asteroid field. There are volleys of asteroids that can't be evaded-- no path through exists-- and no amount of firepower will create one. No amount of skill will get you through this. Simply being an absolutely perfect, flawless player isn't enough. It's not a matter of skill, but of chance. Your only option is to play it over and over and over again until, by pure random chance, a path through is created. Again, utterly unbeatable scenarios shouldn't occur. Ever.

I'm honestly at a loss to understand the development of this game. It's clear that some thought was applied. The graphics are entertaining, the sounds are clear, if a bit repetitive, and the weapons are diverse. The gameplay and in-game conversation will appeal to those that played the great fixed shooters of the 80's. But, once all of that was accomplished, a very strange conversation must have taken place at Hexage...

"What a great game"

"Yeah... a little too great, if you ask me. How can we tone it down? Add some genuine frustration and irritation? I want to hear about people smashing their phones on the nearest concrete surface."

"Hey, I know... Let's throw in randomly-generated levels almost all repetitions of which can't be beaten by any level of skill! They'll just have to play it over and over until one that merely requires perfection comes along!"

"Woah... awesome idea, man! And put it later in the game, so that people will have already posted their glowing reviews by the time they reach that level!"

The saving virtue is that it's only $2, but I suggest you save your money.
    Last edited by froggersloth; 08/26/2010 at 11:15 PM.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    LoL Love this review. God I hate the rock shooting level I've been stuck on last couple days. I've beat the alien red guy and went to future where he shows back up and after defeating tons of guys he says I've walked into his trap and counts down to planetary destruction. Then im convinced im suppose to die because 100 tries later I cant get through this and I'm playing casual difficulty. Ran across this thread after finally giving up and considering starting over just to use a diffrent strategy of upgrading weapons just for this level. turned to the internet to see if there was a walk through or suggestion to get through it. Can I copy/paste this review into the feedback?
    aaargh! I want 1.4.5!!!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by D0M1N8R View Post
    LoL Love this review. God I hate the rock shooting level I've been stuck on last couple days. I've beat the alien red guy and went to future where he shows back up and after defeating tons of guys he says I've walked into his trap and counts down to planetary destruction. Then im convinced im suppose to die because 100 tries later I cant get through this and I'm playing casual difficulty. Ran across this thread after finally giving up and considering starting over just to use a diffrent strategy of upgrading weapons just for this level. turned to the internet to see if there was a walk through or suggestion to get through it. Can I copy/paste this review into the feedback?
    Sorry for the late response, but feel free to copy and paste as you like. I also posted a similar review here, in the comments. I've uninstalled the game... I just don't see the point of wasting time when there are far more important things to do, like playing Angry Birds.
    Last edited by froggersloth; 09/06/2010 at 12:30 PM.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Agreed.

The one thing you missed is the lack of save. I really want to love this game but it is one of very few games that punish you by making you start over every time you close the app.

Still, I am thankful the dev ported the game. It's more a testament to the robustness\flexibility of webOS compared to iOS (and the thoughtfullness of our devs) that allows us to complain about these "details."
    PC World recently posted a reviews of this game for android. Their biggest complaint was that if you get a phone call, the game resets to the start. I can't remember getting a phone call while playing this game but I'm sure the webOS version will pause your game correctly. Score up another point for webOS multitasking.
    Last edited by Superjudge; 09/09/2010 at 02:32 PM.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCIArr View Post
    Agreed.

The one thing you missed is the lack of save. I really want to love this game but it is one of very few games that punish you by making you start over every time you close the app.

Still, I am thankful the dev ported the game. It's more a testament to the robustness\flexibility of webOS compared to iOS (and the thoughtfullness of our devs) that allows us to complain about these "details."
    I agree-- there's a lot for a dev to love about WebOS. If the WebOS dev team had a "thanks" button, I'd click it. Alas, they'll have to settle for my cash in exchange for their products.

However, unless I misunderstand your meaning, an effectively unbeatable level is not a "detail". It's better categorized as a "massive show-stopper". But, you may have been referring to something else in mentioning "details".
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by froggersloth View Post
    I agree-- there's a lot for a dev to love about WebOS. If the WebOS dev team had a "thanks" button, I'd click it. Alas, they'll have to settle for my cash in exchange for their products.

However, unless I misunderstand your meaning, an effectively unbeatable level is not a "detail". It's better categorized as a "massive show-stopper". But, you may have been referring to something else in mentioning "details".
    Totally agree
    Through experience, I have found that emailing devs directly..usually gets things changed...why not give it a go?
    Radiant is teh suck. I removed it after a few levels. Really lame gameplay. Right from the start, the inability to control firing was a real turnoff. What's the point of a shooter where you never pull the trigger?

Cosmic Nitro is quite fun though. And free!
    : (){:|:&};:
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    Through experience, I have found that emailing devs directly..usually gets things changed...why not give it a go?
    fwiw, I did email them and invited them to read the review. I hope they fix the game... it really does have promise.
    Really so much hate? I LOVED this game! I thought it was one of the best games I've played on my pre. I love the colors, its visually exciting. I beat it the first day, but I still play it all the time, I'm trying the other difficulties now.

NOTE: If you suck, try upgrading the Disruptor beam (I think thats what its called... the red laser beam one)
    That one, upgraded enough will destroy everything
    I was at the last level of asteroids, where its most challenging and I just stood still almost and destroyed everything instantly. The boss of the game took me 2 tries.
    The water was cold so I came back <3
  13.    #13  
    AdmiralRaptor, I didn't really make it as clear here as I did in other places, so here's the concern: You're right-- upgrading the disruptors is helpful. In fact, it's more than helpful-- it's essential. There's simply no way through the planetary detonation asteroid field without the upgrade. Other weapons, at level 10, aren't enough. Since disruptors affect everything in a line from the ship to the top of the screen, their effective firing rate is massively greater than anything else. So, in short, you're right.

The problem is simply this: There is nothing in the game to that point that indicates to the player that they need to heavily bias their weapons toward disruptors. When I played, I used a balanced build-- all of my weapons were at levels 4 and 5, I believe, and perhaps one at 6. After all, it seemed reasonable that I would have been given those weapons for a reason, and that I might need them at some point. Nothing to that point indicated the need to heavily favor disruptors. I readily handled everything the game threw at me with that balanced weaponry. Then came the asteroids, and it all fell apart. The only ways to know to upgrade the disruptors are 1) just happen to try it and discover that it's successful, or 2) find out from some outside source, like PreCentral Forums. If the player gets to that point without high-level disruptors, they're simply out of luck. You play over and over, never finding a way through. I'm not the only one to end up in that situation, as noted in this thread.

So, rather than just complain about what really is a good game with dealbreaker flaws, here's a solution: The main character in the game regularly talks with advisors off-screen. It would be a simple matter for one of them just to say, "Hey, we've been talking this over... If the baddie decides to blow up a planet, we calculate that it'll make an asteroid field that can only be passed using the strongest disruptors." Then, if the player can't figure it out, at least they had a chance.
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    I have the game and enjoy it but i have a question. Is there anyway to continue? or once you run out of lives is the game over and you must restart?
    Thread necromancy.

I still love the crap out of this game. I do agree that you need to bias to one weapon to survive the later asteroid fields. Both lasers and plasma cannon work very well for this. Level 10 plasma cannon wipes the floor in almost every occasion. The "Smart" gun is probably the most disappointing even at 10. No issues with save either. WebOS quit and forget works fine.

But man, I waste so much time playing this game on my Pre 2 and now 3.