1.    #1  
    First off:

Congrats on the Medical Apps subforum! I never heard of this forum and am very impressed at the number of medical professionals here on PC.

Anyway, back to the main point:

I'm very disappointed by how limiting it is to develop something that is truly useful. I started my development career here, on WebOS. I had never developed before this. As I learned to develop, I wanted to develop useful applications for people like myself, so I veered toward developing medical apps.

The problem with creating medical reference apps is that the big companies that create these apps (themselves) generally don't like third party developers. They either want to develop themselves, or not support the platform. Since WebOS adoption is relatively small, they aren't interested. At the same time, they don't like third-party developers doing this because they then lose any income they could have made by someone else selling their product.

I don't know if this makes sense or not, but personally, I've found it such a hindrance to try to develop medical reference apps.

I wanted to make a Merck Manual or Netter app for WebOS, but it would never go beyond Homebrew (if even that) because of how angry the companies get. I'm not saying whether they are justified or not (which they probably are, since it is their product), but they should at least be open to outsiders doing the work for them and not ask for a $10K licensing fee... etc...

Thoughts?
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    agreed. The big companies aren't rushing to give us apps. I was talking to someone @ Quest tryung to get them to port over their Care360 app that they have for iphone. Would be great cuz you can eprescribe and it links to quest labs and to their emr too. You can look up a patients INR, then tap a button to change their coumadin prescription. Cool, huh?

btw I do not work for quest and I have no interests except wanting more medical apps on WebOS
    I think it would be very difficult to get copywrighted material licensed to a small 3rd party developer. The big medical software houses like skyscape, lexicomp, pepid, USBMIS and medical wizards probably have very expensive and lucrative licensing agreement with publishers for the medical reference texts... hence the absurdly overpriced nature of most of the products! I think it might be more economical if you could forcus on free and public domain references for now until you can get a publisher to show some interest.

In fact there is one type of app that I would love which doesn't exist for webos and that is a online journal app like now defunct old journaltogo app on palmos or the medstream channel prodcuts that skyscape offers. Many publications like NEJM, Jama, Cancer give free online access. An application that allowed you to easily search and download and read articles and perhaps even integrate with either pubmed, medline or google scholar search search would be awesome! Seems like a definite opportunity for a developer imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  4.    #4  
    Hey Guarav...

I'm actually working on just that. My next project is something like this. It's gonna be huge! I'm very excited about it. Problem is: Google Scholar doesn't provide an API for their search. I have to use alternate methods and its holding me back a little. Not to worry though, the project is definitely coming along and I will be asking for beta testers in a while.

I'll keep you in mind.
    sweet! will be cheering behind the sidelines.... willing to beta too if you want
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Hey Guarav...

I'm actually working on just that. My next project is something like this. It's gonna be huge! I'm very excited about it. Problem is: Google Scholar doesn't provide an API for their search. I have to use alternate methods and its holding me back a little. Not to worry though, the project is definitely coming along and I will be asking for beta testers in a while.

I'll keep you in mind.
    sounds great. That wuld be an amazing app. I am happy to beta test too, and will definitely pay a couple bucks for it if it hits the Catalog.
  7.    #7  
    Google Scholar doesn't like to cooperate, but it's coming along. I'm currently getting preferences and advanced search enabled for the three sites im supporting so far: NEJM, Pubmed, and ofcourse Google Scholar.

NEJM and Scholar are done, Pubmed is being worked on currently.

I'm looking for app icon suggestions for this app.

Any takers?

I have very limited photo editting skills, but I CAN do a bit here and there... so if you have an image that you have ideas with, or combination of images/stuff like that, I'm open to those ideas too.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Google Scholar doesn't like to cooperate, but it's coming along. I'm currently getting preferences and advanced search enabled for the three sites im supporting so far: NEJM, Pubmed, and ofcourse Google Scholar.

NEJM and Scholar are done, Pubmed is being worked on currently.

I'm looking for app icon suggestions for this app.

Any takers?

I have very limited photo editting skills, but I CAN do a bit here and there... so if you have an image that you have ideas with, or combination of images/stuff like that, I'm open to those ideas too.

Thanks!
    sounds awesome. as for suggestions of icon, maybe a caduceus (snakes on winged staff) over a book?

like this: Caduceus Medical Book | Royalty Free Stock Vector Art Illustration | iStockphoto.com
    or this: http://bit.ly/9i1znL
    Attached Images Attached Images
  9.    #9  
    Though not a bad idea, I don't think I want to use a stock photo for an icon. I prefer something a bit more personal. The concept might not be a bad idea (kind of like MedDict's icon?) but I prefer something different/unique for each of my apps.

Any idea of how I can customize that icon?