Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    if u go to the app catalog u will see that twee free will stop working soon. this is pretty stupid!

maybe we can get them to keep it going. i know that they want us to just spend money on the full version. but this is like the only good free twitter client!

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    twitter is changing their api i guess..... maybe we'll get an offical app.
    Palm prē-ist.
    I agree.

I tried an app called Spaz. Seems pretty good, it's fast and it's free.
    the paid version of twitter apps are a buck or 2. just buy it
    Quote Originally Posted by Garage91 View Post
    the paid version of twitter apps are a buck or 2. just buy it
    Seriously. No one is obligated to provide you with free software, so if you don't think the app is valuable enough to pay for, find a cheaper alternative or realize the service is not vital enough for you and do without.

Twitter has had OAuth in the works for a long time and it has acted up rather notoriously in the past (ever have those days where BadKitty wasn't working but TweeFree was chugging along fine? That's cause OAuth was on the fritz and the BasicAuth in TweeFree was not. There are however a lot of benefits to it and Twitter is obviously working to improve it, enough to where they feel shutting off BasicAuth at the end of August is sound.

Here, I dug up some alternatives -

Free:
    Spaz
    Yak Free
    Tweed Trial

At $2.99 for Twee, here are some paid alternatives cheaper than that:

Bad Kitty - $1
    Yak - $1.99
    TweetMe - $2.49
    Last edited by malpha; 08/19/2010 at 07:22 AM.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Use spaz always open always free. Also the developer is very active in the WebOS community.
    I just downloaded badkitty today for $1. It looks like it has everything that I want in a twitter app.
    Bad Kitty is a great app and will surely be better once their new version drops. I think the beta has the ability to automatically start you at your last read tweet and that is one of the major reasons I use Twee. They are both great apps, though. I really like Twee's presentation of trending links, I read those things all the time!! It's great esp if you don't follow a bunch of trendy people (like Mashable, techcrunch, and annoying twitter people who retweet links all the time and are always doing tweetmemes). I also like the menu link to check Twitter's status, lol.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmcc View Post
    if u go to the app catalog u will see that twee free will stop working soon. this is pretty stupid!

maybe we can get them to keep it going. i know that they want us to just spend money on the full version. but this is like the only good free twitter client!
    maybe go into your browser and go on twitter.com?

thats free..
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmcc View Post

maybe we can get them to keep it going. i know that they want us to just spend money on the full version.
    Don't be so frickin' cheap, it's only $2.99. Nobody owes you anything.
    Global Posts
    1,344 Global Posts
    Yea Bad Kitty is awesome. I was able to get into the beta testing and it keeps getting better and better on the road to 1.2 If you wanna try and get into the beta testing give the dev a yell on twitter @germboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Don't be so frickin' cheap, it's only $2.99. Nobody owes you anything.
    Thats what I'm saying

People want more developers to come over to WebOS yet people are hesitant to spend $3 on an app? Really, just help out the devs for their time and effort - If you want quality and GOOD functionality out of an ap, you are probably going to have to spend some of your hard earned dollars for that app just like how the developers spent their crucial time & effort making the app.....
    Mobile HotSpot At&t
    And more importantly, as alluded to, it's not going to stop working just because the developer decided to break it or anything, but it uses the old authentication method. Twitter is turning that off at the end of the month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Res215dg View Post
    Thats what I'm saying

People want more developers to come over to WebOS yet people are hesitant to spend $3 on an app? Really, just help out the devs for their time and effort - If you want quality and GOOD functionality out of an ap, you are probably going to have to spend some of your hard earned dollars for that app just like how the developers spent their crucial time & effort making the app.....
    My thoughts as well...
    It's funny i was just tweeting how people think it's ok to have to pay for an app to a free site, when they could just go to the free site and login.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    It's funny i was just tweeting how people think it's ok to have to pay for an app to a free site, when they could just go to the free site and login.
    There is a little more to it than that. If all you want to do is login then you really don't need an app for that. In fact in many cases an app is just a portal to the mobile/full website. However...in the case of some of the twitter apps you are paying for conveniences such as uploading photos, notifications, location services, etc. It's possible to do some of these things without the app...however it may not be as convenient. Same way you may pay extra for the delivery of pizza in the way of tips or fuel surcharges...yes you could go pick up that pizza...or you could pay extra for the convenience. Maybe not the best example...but a pretty good one. So your point is for the most part mute.
    I realize that some people genuinely cannot afford to spend even a small amount on apps, but for them, there are a ton of free alternatives, especially with a web enabled phone.

However, as was stated above, if we want more apps to be developed for WebOS, then those of us who can, need to appreciate the time and effort that goes into them and be willing to pay the small amount they ask.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Here is a recent article on different platforms and the percentage of free apps in their catalogs. For anybody that is whining about free apps Palm is actually in 2nd place for the most free apps at 34% (not including homebrew/beta) while Android is at 57%. The average price for a paid app is highest with the Iphone. Here is the link... Distimo: 57% Of Android Apps Are Free Vs. 28% Of iPhone Apps
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    I realize that some people genuinely cannot afford to spend even a small amount on apps, but for them, there are a ton of free alternatives, especially with a web enabled phone.
    I may have been a bit harsh in my previous post but it seems that there are too many people today that demand a handout and then complain when they can't get it.

If you can't afford a few bucks on an app, fine, but why make an "angry" post about it (referring to the OP) while suggesting that a developer wanting to get paid for their work is somehow wrong and insulting?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    I may have been a bit harsh in my previous post but it seems that there are too many people today that demand a handout and then complain when they can't get it.

If you can't afford a few bucks on an app, fine, but why make an "angry" post about it (referring to the OP) while suggesting that a developer wanting to get paid for their work is somehow wrong and insulting?
    No... you aren't wrong. There comes a point when people need to prioritize. There are options for using twitter on their phones... but they should never simply expect someone to work hard to give them something for free. The developer of twee is not affiliated with twitter... they are attempting to produce a product... when I go to work, I am producing a product my employer values enough to pay for. If what I do werent worth my pay, they simply wouldnt. The same can be said of these free apps, they are produced as a way to show the worth of getting the full program.

Its 2.99... if twitter is important enough to you, and twee is your weapon of choice... skip breakfast one day. Dont drink that soda at your next ball game. Skip a snack, or avoid going for a drive and wasting that gallon of gas. Plenty of ways for even the most budget minded of us to identify our priorities and find enough money to get the things we want.

Basically... stop complaining, grow up, and do for yourself. Its that simple.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast