Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 50
  1. #21  
    I don't have a problem with a developer deciding not to offer a free app but for him to claim the new API makes a free twitter app impossible is misleading. The new API is free. No app needs to pay to use it. And the code to use the new API is already written by twitter themselves (for web apps like webos) - you can just use their library.

    As for everyone blasting people who want to only use a free app, what's wrong with that? Free apps are actually a very important part of the rich computer/internet world. Would you guys all stick with firefox/chrome/ie/opera if they started charging you? And those writing Twitter apps are able to do so fairly quickly because, 1. Twitter makes its API free, 2. Twitter doesn't charge for development tools, 3. Twitter itself is free.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    I don't have a problem with a developer deciding not to offer a free app but for him to claim the new API makes a free twitter app impossible is misleading. The new API is free. No app needs to pay to use it. And the code to use the new API is already written by twitter themselves (for web apps like webos) - you can just use their library.

    As for everyone blasting people who want to only use a free app, what's wrong with that? Free apps are actually a very important part of the rich computer/internet world. Would you guys all stick with firefox/chrome/ie/opera if they started charging you? And those writing Twitter apps are able to do so fairly quickly because, 1. Twitter makes its API free, 2. Twitter doesn't charge for development tools, 3. Twitter itself is free.
    Why should a developer spend their time developing an app and then give it to you for free? Where are you getting this sense of entitlement from?

    Pip
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Why should a developer spend their time developing an app and then give it to you for free? Where are you getting this sense of entitlement from?

    Pip
    Actually, I've developed numerous apps (not for webos) and given them away for free. I love doing it and the users have been really pleased. But why do so many of you say things like "entitlement" and "demand" and "owe"? I NEVER said anyone OWES anyone a free app. Simply that free apps are an important part of the computer/internet world.

    Really (taking your argument), what makes you feel entitlement to free use of TCP/IP, the underlying code for everything on the internet? A LOT of time and money went into creating and perfecting that, have you given money to the creators for your continued use of TCP/IP? Because certainly, you don't feel entitled to free use, right?
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmcc View Post
    if u go to the app catalog u will see that twee free will stop working soon. this is pretty stupid!

    maybe we can get them to keep it going. i know that they want us to just spend money on the full version. but this is like the only good free twitter client!
    Correction... One of! What about.... and.... not to mention.... please keep it real.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Actually, I've developed numerous apps (not for webos) and given them away for free. I love doing it and the users have been really pleased. But why do so many of you say things like "entitlement" and "demand" and "owe"? I NEVER said anyone OWES anyone a free app. Simply that free apps are an important part of the computer/internet world.

    Really (taking your argument), what makes you feel entitlement to free use of TCP/IP, the underlying code for everything on the internet? A LOT of time and money went into creating and perfecting that, have you given money to the creators for your continued use of TCP/IP? Because certainly, you don't feel entitled to free use, right?
    We use words like that because for the most part, there are users who do just those things, demand, feel entitled etc! And to correct your earlier post, the dev never claimed it was impossible, but just because its not impossible doesn't mean the dev should have to rewrite a free app to be compatible with the new api, if it was paid for then it would be fair to assume that the dev would support it.

    If I was required to pay for those services then I would either pay for them if I felt value or just not use it if I didn't think it valuable. I would absolutely not come crying, demanding the service be put back for free.
    And the truth of the matter is that tcp/ip has likely been paid for in other revenues, not from direct subscription. How a dev choses to make money from their work is up to them.
    And I never said using free things was wrong, if a dev wants to give free things out then fair enough, but is expecting apps to be free is a totally warped perspective. Get your argument right before twisting my words.

    Edit:If you only there was a smiley that displayed a certain finger

    Pip
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    As for everyone blasting people who want to only use a free app, what's wrong with that?
    The way the original post was written is "what's wrong with that." See below:

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmcc View Post
    if u go to the app catalog u will see that twee free will stop working soon. this is pretty stupid!

    maybe we can get them to keep it going. i know that they want us to just spend money on the full version. but this is like the only good free twitter client!
    All that anger and accusation over something that costs $2.99 is a little overboard in my opinion. Like there is some huge conspiracy going on by the developer to deny a free app that the OP feels he is somehow entitled to and to force him to pay for it....OH THE HUMANITY!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Free apps are actually a very important part of the rich computer/internet world. Would you guys all stick with firefox/chrome/ie/opera if they started charging you?
    I actually used to pay for Opera back when they had the paid version even though they had a free version with ads. I didn't have to pay but I loved Opera and wanted to support them. Call me crazy but I actually paid for a WinZip license too!

    So, to answer your question, yes, I would (and do) pay for things that I find useful and thankfully there are others out there who feel the same way.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    I don't have a problem with a developer deciding not to offer a free app but for him to claim the new API makes a free twitter app impossible is misleading. The new API is free. No app needs to pay to use it. And the code to use the new API is already written by twitter themselves (for web apps like webos) - you can just use their library.

    As for everyone blasting people who want to only use a free app, what's wrong with that? Free apps are actually a very important part of the rich computer/internet world. Would you guys all stick with firefox/chrome/ie/opera if they started charging you? And those writing Twitter apps are able to do so fairly quickly because, 1. Twitter makes its API free, 2. Twitter doesn't charge for development tools, 3. Twitter itself is free.
    It doesn't make the free app impossible. But he had to rewrite the app to use the new API and for whatever reason, didn't try to hamper the rewritten paid version of the app in order to provide a free equivalent - and there's nothing wrong with that. I point out the API problem to quell the storm of inevitable HE TOOK IT OFFLINE BECAUSE HE WANTS TO MAKE MONEY DERP DERP DERP, which in my opinion is MORE misleading and a disservice to the developer. There is actually a legitimate reason it stopped working and it is also possible his time is spent on different projects, but because people have already paid for Twee, his was kind of ethically obligated to fix the paid version of that app. The new paid app also comes with various usability improvements and new features, so to make a free version of that is to basically provide what should be paid features for free.

    The app has been free for quite a long time and there are of course twitter clients that don't offer free versions at all (Bad Kitty, which is quite cheap, and TweetMe, which is only 50 cents less than Twee). So I think people have had more than enough time to try the app out to determine if upgrading to the paid version is worth their time, unlike other apps where they would have to buy it first before finding out they hate it.

    I do think it is entitlement when people come whining because an app isn't free anymore, basically demanding the app be free and stay free. Or stay available, in the case of all of the Free Music Ringtone threads. Especially when there are other alternatives that are free (including the actual Twitter website) if not as feature-complete or convenient (arguments in favor of having the app be paid, imo) or the environment for the app genre is that most apps in it are paid apps.

    In the end, the developer of Twee has graciously advised those who want a great free app (or need, due to not having paid apps available) to use Spaz.
    Last edited by malpha; 08/22/2010 at 10:44 AM.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  8. ght
    ght is offline
    ght's Avatar
    Posts
    772 Posts
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    #28  
    For what it's worth, after a few days of Spaz, I like it better than TweeFree.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by ferriskeanu View Post
    There is a little more to it than that. If all you want to do is login then you really don't need an app for that. In fact in many cases an app is just a portal to the mobile/full website. However...in the case of some of the twitter apps you are paying for conveniences such as uploading photos, notifications, location services, etc. It's possible to do some of these things without the app...however it may not be as convenient. Same way you may pay extra for the delivery of pizza in the way of tips or fuel surcharges...yes you could go pick up that pizza...or you could pay extra for the convenience. Maybe not the best example...but a pretty good one. So your point is for the most part mute.
    Being that I made a upload plugin for my Photos app that gives me the option to upload my pics to TwitPic I don't need an app. However, don't you think it is unreasonable for a company to expect people to just pay for an app off there word that it is a good app? Wouldn't it be better for all companies to make a Demo, Trial, Lite version of the app instead?

    No matter how you look at it if the app was completely free and full version-ed... There will always be people out there that will donate money because of the quality or reliability of an application.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

    The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
  10. #30  
    Yeah its cheap, but throw us a bone.

    We free-loaders haven't been using all the features of Paid Twee. And we know NOT to call for support.

    They Know how many free accounts they carry. What is the Value proposition for a Paid account? - better Support? Does better Authentication improve privacy? They want us to believe the heavy lifting is done? What does service delivery cost them?

    I came to Pre-Central for a better explanation of the issues.Their brick-red notification block didn't tell me enough. My expectations were low.

    They could lower the price and more than double their current return. Do you suppose they have 10,000 accounts? (FourSquare hit 3 Million)

    I bet a great majority of accounts are unpaid.

    Yes I will go directly to twitter for Free.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post

    Here, I dug up some alternatives -

    Free:
    Spaz
    Yak Free
    Tweed Trial
    you missed one -
    m.twitter.com

    Seriously tho, I paid for twee, and I run 4, <sigh> yes 4...twitter accounts on it. Very easy, very solid app.

    --MGb
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Razortooth View Post
    We free-loaders haven't been using all the features of Paid Twee. And we know NOT to call for support.

    They Know how many free accounts they carry. What is the Value proposition for a Paid account? - better Support? Does better Authentication improve privacy?
    Value proposition? How about compensating the developers for creating the app? What's wrong with that? It gives them incentive to continue developing great apps.

    Quote Originally Posted by Razortooth View Post
    They could lower the price and more than double their current return.
    I seriously doubt that. People too cheap to pay $2.99 for an app are more than likely too cheap to pay for it at half cost...or any cost for that matter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Razortooth View Post
    Yes I will go directly to twitter for Free.
    Be careful of the door on the way out!
  13. RafRol's Avatar
    Posts
    544 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    #33  
    You will pay more for very temporary items such as a coffee at Starbucks, a Happy Meal, a movie ticket, etc., etc. if you haven't done so already.

    Pay for it, or go to the website, or get Spaz. Just don't expect Spaz to be free forever.

    It's just a matter of your priorities.
    Last edited by RafRol; 08/29/2010 at 02:29 PM.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
  14. #34  
    I tossed Twee Free for Tweed Beta.

    I understand Beta... and version control.

    As for marketing apps you have maybe four Carrier channels in the USA. Which make you conform to their standards, and accept their pricing, to reach their customer.

    Thank you Pre-Central for independent homebrew apps.
  15. #35  
    I went from TweeFree to Bad Kitty since it's on sale for 1$. Bad Kitty is much more complete but I miss landscape.
  16. #36  
    I payed for Tweed when I had a Visa gift card. If I had actually used the Tweed Free before buying Tweed I would have never purchased the application as "IT SUCKS". But since I used a gift card and have the full version I keep it on my phone in case my photo's plugin for TwitPic stops working and i don't know how to fix it or run into an issue fixing it in the future.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

    The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
  17. iamkevint's Avatar
    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    #37  
    I personally use Tweed as that is my default Twitter client and it's on sale now for $0.99.
  18. #38  
    I mainly use Bad Kitty, but I also used TweeFree as well. I'm not opposed to buying Twee. But I thought I'd read somewhere that the paid app wasn't as polished looking as the free app. Can one of you guys that have bought it confirm or deny that? Thanks.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by JDGAFFLIN View Post
    I mainly use Bad Kitty, but I also used TweeFree as well. I'm not opposed to buying Twee. But I thought I'd read somewhere that the paid app wasn't as polished looking as the free app. Can one of you guys that have bought it confirm or deny that? Thanks.
    Well, off the bat I can tell you what the three most common complaints about Twee2.0 are that I've seen:

    1) No dark theme
    2) No Nearby unless you search first
    3) Slower

    1 and 2 are definitely true, 3 is a bit eh. The scrolling can stutter sometimes if you skip to the bottom really fast, but that's about it for me. Also, it takes a sec to load a diff scene initially, but afterward, switching is instantaneous.

    Things I do like about it are:

    1) No scrolling bar. I hated that thing honesty. Now the bar doesn't scroll.
    2) Improved Saved Searches: No having to go to the top left menu to view them.
    3) Forward gesture for new tweet
    4) Separate user search!
    5) Trending topics has been overhauled to include info on why the tweet is trending.
    6) Trending urls have now been added.
    7) Quick link to check twitter's status.
    8) Conversation results display in chronological order, instead of reverse chronological order.

    Features I would like:
    1) Make it easier to view someone's tweets. It kind of takes too many taps now. You have to tap the tweet, then tap the user's name, then tap their tweets. Before it would just show you the tweets.
    2) Make It easier to return to the timeline. Right now, you have to backswipe and if you've went on a tweeterwalk, this could be cumbersome.
    3) Customizable alert sound (you can it via Internalz, though).
    4) If it showed what people were tweeting from w/o going into single view
    5) There's a landscape bug. It won't go landscape unless you turn it landscape while the app is open. If you open it while your phone is landscape, the app will still open up as portrait.

    I've attached some different screenshots so you will have a better gist of things.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  20. #40  
    I think the main problem with this is the way it is stated on the the app in the catalog. The tone of what is said doesn't come out good. I'm sure those that like it would pay for it, especially since there has been talk about the paid version not being as good.
    I have it but I use paid apps instead when I need to. I have my most important tweets come in the sms & later I will check all that I have missed.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions