1.    #1  
    It appears there is a overclocking app in the beta feeds called DoctoH.
    Description: Will display a large (white screen). Phone will freeze and unfreeze. Reboot phone after freezed. If you don't have a freeze then you are good. Overclocks phone kernel to 800mhz (if you haven't already) This screenstate includes 500/800mhz poppycock is working on another insance overclock to 1.005 mhz but now this is as good as it gets.
    I for one only use unix's overclocking kernels. Just posting this thread to let people know it is out there. The title doesn't give you a clue.
    im with you mamouton, if it doesnt have marco's approval i"ll pass.
    The developer's supposed website does not exist. I sure hope no one falls for this and trashes their phone. An overclock solution that is designed to freeze your phone with no apparent way to control or undo the process? I don't think so.
    I would seriously doubt that Palm would let an App that overwrites the kernel into even the Beta or Web catalog.

If they did, Then there's no reason Preware couldn't be released in the Beta or Web feeds.

I would be far more likely to believe that this is just another junk App that does nothing at all, like the supposed Flash installers, Opera Mini and Android "Apps".

That being said, I will sure not be installing it to find out. ha
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    I would seriously doubt that Palm would let an App that overwrites the kernel into even the Beta or Web catalog.
    That raises an interesting question. How does palm know that an app doesn't disturb the kernel unless they test it? And if they test it and it does nothing why do they still allow it in the catalog - beta or otherwise?
    IIRC, Apps released to the Beta or Web feeds still have to use ONLY the public APIs, and I'm pretty sure that the public APIs do not allow for overwriting the Kernel. haha

If this were not the case, things like Preware, NaNPlayer, etc... could be released this way.

I'm hoping that Rod or one of the other Webosinternals people will check it out and confirm that it's bogus.
    I agree with you spader that this DoctoH thing is most likely bogus. My question is really more for the sake of discussion in general. How does palm know that an app only uses public API's or that it doesn't do anything hazardous unless they test the app? Is it just an honor system? If apps are tested, then how do junk apps like this one and the flash/opera/android apps that do nothing even get into the catalog?
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    They don't review these by hand, but I believe they run apps through a scanner that detects if the app is using authorized APIs, reading/writing authorized folders.

This won't prevent a "bogus" app that doesn't do what it says or one with objectionable content from getting through, but Palm will pull an app if it they find out it isinappropriate, misleading, useless, spammy, etc..
    For any App to call "undocumented" or Private APIs I believe it has to carry a "com.palm" ID. So that would be a big givaway right there. haha

@webosinternals has confirmed on Twitter that this is another "does nothing" App.
    I think beta apps should have an IP adrress attached to the file description.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    They don't review these by hand, but I believe they run apps through a scanner that detects if the app is using authorized APIs, reading/writing authorized folders.

This won't prevent a "bogus" app that doesn't do what it says or one with objectionable content from getting through, but Palm will pull an app if it they find out it isinappropriate, misleading, useless, spammy, etc..
    I would hope, now that Palm has some capital and manpower thanks to the HP acquisition, that they would start testing apps manually. We are not talking thousands of apps a day and it would boost the public image of both Palm and HP. To let one destructive application into the catalog would be a public relations nightmare for Palm. Even letting “do nothing” apps in the official catalog tarnishes the reputation of the company, especially with users who paid good money for a worthless application.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    I'm not going to touch this thing...
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    I'm sick of these bogus apps. These bogus app devs need lives, no offense.