Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    classic crashes everytime I use it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    Have you tried starting over with a hard reset from the Classic menu? Back up first, of course, but this would let you start from scratch so you can just install those apps that work well under Classic. Take backups as you go and revert to the last good backup when you find something that causes problems.

If it still crashes after a hard reset with nothing else loaded, then there's a problem with your Classic install and you should remove and reinstall the Classic app.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    MDsmartphone,

First, I apologize in advance, as this post is going to sound kind of rude, but I want to try to keep this thread from spinning off the original topic.

So... sticking to the thread topic, please... I think you're saying, without saying, that you want it not to crash every time you use it in the next release, yes?

If yes, then my question would be, have you already pursued this to a point of non-resolution with MotionApps' excellent and very responsive technical support? If yes, would you be willing to share your experience?

If no, then once you have taken the issue as far as you can, and Motionapps says something to the effect of, "sorry, it will be fixed in the next release," THEN it would make sense to post it on this thread. Otherwise, please start your own thread, thank-you very much.

p.s. If you delete your post, I'll delete my response.
    Just want to echo the need for WebOS copy and Paste integration.

It'd be nice to offer an App Catalog or PreCentral store gift certificate to us early adopters who paid $40 (is it really free, now?)
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKinsman View Post
    Anyway, what new features and improvements would you like to see in the next release of Classic?
    (...)
    2) Copy/paste integration with webOS. If I have some data in Classic, I'd like to copy it, and paste it into a webOS app.
    +1 for being able to copy/paste between Classic apps & webOS apps.

Beyond that, my biggest complaint is the startup time. On my non-plus Pre with Uberkernal, it still takes a full 45 seconds from when I tap the Classic icon on webOS before it fully load to where I can use any of the apps within Classic. Would like to see this improved substantially - cut in half, at least. Even Google Maps, much despised for its "slowness", loads in 15-20 seconds on my Pre. If Classic would load in 20 seconds or less that would eliminate a huge daily aggravation.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    I like classic. I run it everyday and I finally got it to run and hotsync without resetting every time.

I would echo the sound emulation. This was a big problem for me as one of the apps I use is supposed to make the system noise when you tape a button. For some reason, this app requesting the noise causes the reset on hotsync. I had to go to safe mode with sound off.

The other problem area is time functions. If I try a palmOS app that sets any type of internal timer function -- like setting SplashID to lock itself after 3 minutes, classic will reset on hotsync. Also any app that uses time and timezones type functions, like my old favorites CityTime and CityAlarms causes reset on hotsync.

If MotionApps could implement the "sounds and alerts" and the "date and time" panels in preferences and make them independent from webOS settings, I think I would have fewer problems with my old favorites.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Because, there is no GPS software (OFF-line) available with the Pre, i would like to use my "old TomTom" with my Bluetooth external GPS. Yet, Tomtom seems to work with Classic but my GPS is not recognise. I hope to have a classic update very soon to be able to use my GPS (even if it's not the internal one).
  8.    #28  
    I would like to see the Sym key mapped to the PalmOS menu key.

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but I think it makes perfect sense, and should be fairly simple, since they already map option+shift to the find function.
    Thank you, RJKinsman, for the reminder.

what I'd most like to see is and option making the full real estate of the screen available for display instead of navigation. The virtual hard keys and 5-way could be mapped to gestures or key combinations.

Example:

Gesture + F = Center
    Gesture + R = Up
    Gesture + C = down
    Gesture + D = Left
    Gesture + G = Right
    Gesture + E = Hard Key 1
    Gesture + T = Hard Key 2
    Gesture + X = Hard Key 3
    Gesture + V = Hard Key 4
    Gesture + @ = Menu
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    Thank you, RJKinsman, for the reminder.

what I'd most like to see is and option making the full real estate of the screen available for display instead of navigation. The virtual hard keys and 5-way could be mapped to gestures or key combinations.

Example:

Gesture + F = Center
    Gesture + R = Up
    Gesture + C = down
    Gesture + D = Left
    Gesture + G = Right
    Gesture + E = Hard Key 1
    Gesture + T = Hard Key 2
    Gesture + X = Hard Key 3
    Gesture + V = Hard Key 4
    Gesture + @ = Menu
    Actually, they had something like that (except for the full screen part) until they accidentally broke it with webOS 1.4.1, then promised to fix it "ASAP" (a direct quote), and now nearly SIX MONTHS later, we're still waiting for the "ASAP" fix! Here I go, ranting again...

Anyway...

I say how about letting the USER DECIDE how to map the keys! Just like a typical 3270 emulator (if you have to ask, never-mind!), let the user map the keys they way he/she likes them.

I'm pretty much "OK" with the mapping that they already use with the alpha/key toggle, so I would suggest keeping that as the default.

So, the way it USED to work, before they BROKE it was...

Gesture + Space = Center
    Gesture + R,T,Y = Up
    Gesture + C,V,B,N = down
    Gesture + A,S,D = Left
    Gesture + J,K,L = Right
    Gesture + Q,W = Hard Key 1 ("phone")
    Gesture + Option = Hard Key 2 ("calendar")
    Gesture + Return (down/left arrow) = Hard Key 3 ("mail")
    Gesture + P,O = Hard Key 4 ("Home")

The only thing they never mapped was menu, so my suggestion for this would be...
    Gesture + Sym = Menu

...since that's approximately where the menu key is on my beloved Treo 755p, and, after all, that's the only device I care about emulating.
    Last edited by RJKinsman; 08/26/2010 at 08:38 AM.
  11.    #31  
    Classic, I have a question/request. Could you please give us a preview of what new features we will see in the next release?
    I'm ok with any mapping scheme. I just want that bottom 1/3 of the screen viewable.
    Upcoming version of webOS is vastly changed and is bringing many new things, so we had to build Classic almost from scratch to make it work on new webOS. The main value of upcoming Classic release is that it is compatible with new webOS.

Speaking about the future releases of Classic and upcoming improvements, there is now a playground for us to work out some new features and continue development or even try to implement some features that were technically impossible with old webOS.

We are collecting your suggestions posted on this thread and hope to be able to implement as many features you requested as possible.
    Follow us on Twitter

Hang out with us on Facebook

Stay Tuned with news and updates on our blog
    The most useful capability of Classic to me would be the ability to sync with the Pre Contacts, Calendar and Tasks. That would mean that non-cloud users could actually sync. I would even pay an additional amount if this were included as an add-on.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1palmclapping View Post
    The most useful capability of Classic to me would be the ability to sync with the Pre Contacts, Calendar and Tasks. That would mean that non-cloud users could actually sync. I would even pay an additional amount if this were included as an add-on.
    Your request gave me an idea for a manual work-around:

1. Using the "Send All Contacts via Email" patch, I emailed a .vcf of all my contacts
    2. I found the attachment via Terminal using the "find -name vcard.vcf" command in the /var/luna/data/attachments directory

3. Using Internalz I copied the file to Classic's Palm/TEMP directory

4. Using Rescoe Explorer (FileZ should work as well, I think) I opened the vcard file which imported to Contacts)

Gotta love the Homebrew community
    Being able to listen over bluetooth will be great, but if I could also download straight into my audible file, like I did with my Treo, that would be awesome.

Start the ball rolling and we want more. True bluetooth connection is actually enough.
    Y'know, I actually agree that the ability to use the entire screen would be great too.
    Complimental to the other posts, Classic should support the german keyboard layout. German Pre Plus and Pixi Plus models have a different keyboard layout than the original Palm Pre. For this reason some special characters are not easy accessable in Classic. You have to know, which key you have to press to get the desired character in Classic. And the support for German keyboards in general should be integrated in Classic directly for an easy input of German Umlaute.
    Global Posts
    509 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKinsman View Post

That would be freaking awesome if Classic could pick up alerts from PalmOS apps and then use the webOS notification system. Even if it's as simple as something like: Classic: Notification from <app>

And then when you tap on the notification, it takes you to Classic.
    I second this.

And also holding center button of the 5-way navigation should bring up the alert/alarm dialog.

Is there also a way to mute Palm OS' alarms in Classic? How about vibration?
    Last edited by asiayeah; 09/27/2010 at 09:21 AM.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by asiayeah View Post
    Is there also a way to mute Palm OS' alarms in Classic? How about vibration?
    In Classic Preferences I have Alarm set to Off, 'cause the alarm sound is very disturbing.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast