Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    My main concern is if a sequal to the Pre comes out, and I upgrade to it, will I have to buy all my apps for that device too? That will really impact my interest in buying apps for my current Pre. Generically, what happens when we get a new webOS device and upgrade to it?

Second concern is if a tablet of sorts comes out. I wouldn't trade my phone for it, so I'd be running both devices at the same time...in that case would I have to buy my webOS games a second time for the second device?

My guess is if you upgrade and transfer your Palm profile over to a replacement device, you should get to download your purchased apps for free. (what happens to your old pre? does it get told to erase the paid apps?) And in the case of buying a second device altogether (tablet), I'm guessing I have to buy a second copy of the program.

What model does the Iphone/Ipad take? What do we anticipate happening for the pre? (Because I plan on upgrading to a new Pre decendant as long as I don't have to re-buy all the apps). I think its the apps that I've invested in that make me feel "loyal" to a phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjsmiley View Post
    My main concern is if a sequal to the Pre comes out, and I upgrade to it, will I have to buy all my apps for that device too?
    No

Quote Originally Posted by mjsmiley View Post
    Second concern is if a tablet of sorts comes out. I wouldn't trade my phone for it, so I'd be running both devices at the same time...in that case would I have to buy my webOS games a second time for the second device?
    One would presume no but no one but Palm/HP knows that at the moment.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Your Apps belong with your Palm Profile which travels with you from phone to phone. As long as the Apps are compatible with the new hardware, you'll have the right to use them. In fact, when you login to the phone for the first time, all the apps that you've downloaded from the app store on the previous device should already be in place. It would work the same as when you replace a broken Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaganElephant View Post
    In fact, when you login to the phone for the first time, all the apps that you've downloaded from the app store on the previous device should already be in place. It would work the same as when you replace a broken Pre.
    I just upgraded from a Pixi to a Pre. All my free apps (except Homebrew) were restored to my new phone, but none of my paid apps. Any idea how to get them without paying again? When I go to each one in the App Store, my only option is to purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by spreng View Post
    I just upgraded from a Pixi to a Pre. All my free apps (except Homebrew) were restored to my new phone, but none of my paid apps. Any idea how to get them without paying again? When I go to each one in the App Store, my only option is to purchase.
    Were the paid apps, games specifically made for the Pixi? I suggest contacting Palm support directly. They may be able to make adjustments to the apps in your Palm Profile.
    No, one was Notes (inglorious apps) and the other EA's Monopoly. I called Palm and they did something to my profile account to allow me to download them both again at no cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by spreng View Post
    No, one was Notes (inglorious apps) and the other EA's Monopoly. I called Palm and they did something to my profile account to allow me to download them both again at no cost.
    i am wondering the same... Getting a Touchpad this week and wondering if my Pre apps will be on Touchpad/ask me to rebuy? FLightview was free for me not sure if i'll hafta pay for it on the Touchpad (if it's even in the App Cat for webOs 2.x 3.x)
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    My experience is that you don't have to buy your apps again, but there are some apps which exist in separate TouchPad versions (e.g. Angry Birds vs. Angry Birds HD). If you have bought Angry Birds on your phone you'll be able to download it to your TouchPad for free, but you will have to buy Angry Birds HD. It's the same in Apple's microcosm.
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    As long as you log your touchpad into the same webos profile as the Pre, all compatible apps you have installed on your Pre will download to your touchpad. Further, any app you purchased, whether or not it's currently installed on your Pre, will be available to your touchpad for free (again, as long as that particular app is at least compatible with the touchpad).

Unfortunately, I do not see Flightview in the TouchPad app catalog. It is in the Pre3 app catalog, but with no updates for over a year. So you will not be able to install it on your Touchpad, even though your webos profile will continue to keep your license for it. Someone is apparently working on making Flightview TouchPad compatible (http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3199453), but I've not read anything further about it's progress.

edit: sorry, I'm sort of repeating what T-Pad said... I had this post sitting open for awhile as I had to step away from the computer so I hadn't seen his post. What T-Pad said about the separate TouchPad versions is true, but Angry Birds is sort of a bad example, since Angry Birds HD is actually free whether or not you bought Angry Birds before. But yes, there are plenty of apps that have separate 'HD' versions you would have to pay for; in some cases the phone version also works fine on the TouchPad but just isn't 'HD' so you can choose whether to buy it again or make do with the phone version, while in other cases the phone version is simply not available on the TouchPad so you have to buy the HD version if you want it at all.
    Last edited by johnsonx42; 11/28/2011 at 01:59 AM.
    Theoretically, the answer is no. I also have a hard time believing that a new "Pre" will be released.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by pecuevasb View Post
    Theoretically, the answer is no. I also have a hard time believing that a new "Pre" will be released.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Yeah, check the date, the original post was over a year ago, lol.
    the recent responses are in answer to jeanjean's post of 11/27, and the question is about adding a touchpad to a pre profile.