Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This interactive artistic game has no limits — play with over 10,000 flying particles on the screen at one time and explore the endless ways to create fun and interesting patterns. Pixi Dust allows you to use one, two, three, four, or five fingers at the same time to control the gravity and position of the particles. By simply placing one finger on the screen, you can magically make new dust particles appear. With two fingers you can create a vortex, and with a third you can control the vortex with precision. Four and five fingers add to the mix of effects by adding in different colors of dust and the ability to stop time. This exciting new application will amuse you for hours and best of all its completely free. Try the app already downloaded by thousands of Palm customers worldwide and see what your imagination can build!

DOWNLOAD NOW FOR FREE!

Let me know how you like it, and if you have any suggestions, please post them here!
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    I like it a lot...sort of makes it look like my fingers are immiting particles. Is it possible to let the user increase the circular motion/radius of the vortex? Thanks for providing this gizmo free!
    Kind of ironic that it's called "Pixi Dust," yet the app catalog says my Pixi is not supported.

4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Kind of ironic that it's called "Pixi Dust," yet the app catalog says my Pixi is not supported.

Unfortunately Palm has a bug that prevents it from working on the Pixi. That is why Pixi users probably see only a few PDK titles.
    One big problem with this app is that everything reacts the same, so eventually you can see that it's all one big square, and that's annoying.
    I absolutely love love love this completely useless app Its VERY entertaining hehe
    smiles for your day ~ pixielee
    In a love/hate relationship w/my PalmPre(s) 6/6/09 3/22/10 4/12/10 and 5/5/10 (ops yes I lost one!)

Its Life - Live it, Love it, PLAY in it
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    One big problem with this app is that everything reacts the same, so eventually you can see that it's all one big square, and that's annoying.
    Each of the 10k particles are all controlled and calculated individually, only reacting to the sides of the screen, the gravity vortex, and how you tilt your phone.

New update submitted and should be out soon. Adds some sparkle to the dust
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    Unfortunately Palm has a bug that prevents it from working on the Pixi. That is why Pixi users probably see only a few PDK titles.
    I hadn't heard about a bug that only affects the Pixi...can you elaborate?
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Well they all tend to bounce the same way because they very easily start a formation that resembles the sides of the screen, which is rather ugly and unnatural. Maybe you could incorporate some physics from the particle system benchmark.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Another great app from your company. I love Weatherman too. Keep up the great work. You are going to get a sweet scholarship to college someday based on your work I hope. Or maybe just a sweet job at Palm right out of high school.
    Quote Originally Posted by pixielee View Post
    I absolutely love love love this completely useless app Its VERY entertaining hehe
    hehe, agreed. I wasted some time at work with this.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    I hadn't heard about a bug that only affects the Pixi...can you elaborate?
    In the PDK there is a function called "SDL_Flip". This basically draws the screen so that you can see it. The simple explanation is that this doesn't work on the Pixi due to a low level bug. SDL_Flip is used for most/all of the 2D PDK apps right now, including Pixi Dust. There is a workaround and I am looking into it, but it involves converting the screen into a OpenGL texture and using OpenGL instead of SDL.

I can try and go find the thread on Palm's forums if anyone wants a more in depth explanation.

EDIT:
    Bug first discovered here: http://developer.palm.com/distributi...ixi+bug#p25466

Workaround: http://developer.palm.com/distributi...ixi+bug#p37346

Glad everyone is enjoying the app

Let me know if you have any suggestions! I am thinking about Gesture Area + Taps to add another 4-5 effects
    Last edited by TIWizard; 08/19/2010 at 12:12 PM.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    I made a similar "app" as an opengl learning program. Maybe try adding a third dimension based on phone tilt. A 3D invisible box with the screen being a set one side of the box, as you tilt, the particles fall with gravity into the box. Just an idea. No idea how you're rendering the particles (points, small quads or triangles). The had part would be placing the particle generators in 3D space with the 2D input. Leave the box invisible though, it's a nice effect having the particles outline the edges and planes.

Another idea, replace the shake to clear feature with a shake the existing particles (2D or 3D). [Edit] Erase particles with a gesture forward instead? [EndEdit]

Yet another idea, give each particle a unique/random elastic effect when they're generated.

I've been wanting to make a similar app to yours but finding it hard to program something fun after programming all day at work
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    could you add some options like choosing colours and such?

Also imo i think it would be a lot better with glittery colours then flat normal colours
  15. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Very nice!

Have you ever seen an app called Pocket Sand? My kids love it on my old WinMo phone. wish this was available for my Pre!
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by mk3 View Post
    Very nice!

Have you ever seen an app called Pocket Sand? My kids love it on my old WinMo phone. wish this was available for my Pre!
    I loved that game too I will look into it, but it would definitely be a separate app.

EDIT

Just got a sand game working. It runs at about 7FPS, so it is far from being releasable...

Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    could you add some options like choosing colours and such?

Also imo i think it would be a lot better with glittery colours then flat normal colours
    Still tweaking the glitter and the look, and I will check into choosing colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    I made a similar "app" as an opengl learning program. Maybe try adding a third dimension based on phone tilt. A 3D invisible box with the screen being a set one side of the box, as you tilt, the particles fall with gravity into the box. Just an idea. No idea how you're rendering the particles (points, small quads or triangles). The had part would be placing the particle generators in 3D space with the 2D input. Leave the box invisible though, it's a nice effect having the particles outline the edges and planes.

Another idea, replace the shake to clear feature with a shake the existing particles (2D or 3D). [Edit] Erase particles with a gesture forward instead? [EndEdit]

Yet another idea, give each particle a unique/random elastic effect when they're generated.

I've been wanting to make a similar app to yours but finding it hard to program something fun after programming all day at work
    Pixi Dust is currently a 2D SDL app, so I am not sure about the 3D effect... Possibly faked?

I am definitely trying to get the dust to look different-- currently thay have a limited number of weights, sizes, colors, etc, but I would definitely like to make it completely random.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

P.S. Still deciding what to do with erasing... Shake to erase is more intuitive and easy to use, but it does cause problems when you accidentally clear the board... Back or forward gestures are definite possibilities.
    Last edited by TIWizard; 08/19/2010 at 09:18 PM.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    Pixi Dust is currently a 2D SDL app, so I am not sure about the 3D effect... Possibly faked?
    Oh, I thought it was a PDK (ie openGL) app. Anyway, the "3d" effect on a single point particle comes from its interaction with the environment since it can't really get any bigger or smaller. With OpenGL the third dimension was handled by the particle draw function (used x, y, and z) combined with the exact same position equation used for X movement. As the particle ran into a wall it would bounce off and lose some amount of its momentum in the process (eventually it would stop moving and just fall with gravity). As the particles end up in corners the 3D space is revealed adding to the 3D movements. It's really a cool trick of the eyes. Like drawing a box on paper, you don't (normally) account for the thickness of the lines but our brain still construes it as 3D.

Anyway, I only did my program as a learning experience for particle systems in OpenGL. I recommend you try it out even if it's not feasible to integrate with this app. Maybe I'll get off my lazy duff and try to get dirty in the PDK...
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    Oh, I thought it was a PDK (ie openGL) app. Anyway, the "3d" effect on a single point particle comes from its interaction with the environment since it can't really get any bigger or smaller. With OpenGL the third dimension was handled by the particle draw function (used x, y, and z) combined with the exact same position equation used for X movement. As the particle ran into a wall it would bounce off and lose some amount of its momentum in the process (eventually it would stop moving and just fall with gravity). As the particles end up in corners the 3D space is revealed adding to the 3D movements. It's really a cool trick of the eyes. Like drawing a box on paper, you don't (normally) account for the thickness of the lines but our brain still construes it as 3D.

Anyway, I only did my program as a learning experience for particle systems in OpenGL. I recommend you try it out even if it's not feasible to integrate with this app. Maybe I'll get off my lazy duff and try to get dirty in the PDK...
    It's definitely something I will look at. Pixi Dust is actually still a PDK app-- PDK apps can be 2D (SDL) or 3D (OpenGL) depending on what the app is.

New update submitted with a cool new gesture, better looking sparkles, and some optimizations! See if you can find it
    would it be possible to add a function that would let you draw a picture with the dust and not have it fall down? If possible allow you to draw a picture with your finger, and still have little particles of dust bouncing around to give it a nice effect? Though sounds like a totally different app...would be really cool
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    would it be possible to add a function that would let you draw a picture with the dust and not have it fall down? If possible allow you to draw a picture with your finger, and still have little particles of dust bouncing around to give it a nice effect? Though sounds like a totally different app...would be really cool
    Actually, I was toying with that idea... Gesture area + five fingers to "toggle" the time pause, then you could draw all you wanted. Gesture+5 again to let the particles fall
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast