1.    #1  
    I'm on an assignment for 1 to 2 months in the middle of the Indian Ocean on a small island atoll. I have a slow speed internet connection plugged into my laptop, but not wifi and since I have a Palm Pre+ from Verizon, which is CDMA, but they only have GSM here...what's a guy to do?

With a slow connection (128 kbit/sec? or something like that) and a limit on how much data I can upload and download, it gets real expensive if I go over my monthly allotment. But if I see something I really want, or the update comes out (remember, I'm a Pre+ on Verizon), is there a way to download it onto my computer, hook up USB, and install new apps or webOS updates?

Sorry if the solution has been covered already, I have to limit my internet use so as not to go over my limit so I can't spend a lot of time and data searching.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

you can only updte by downloading the new version of web doctor when ever it comes out after an update. As far as apps go you would need a wifi connection to your computer. If your computer does not have wifi then order a wifi box on line or get one from the local walmart lol sorry j/k anyways that the best bet.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Samsung A850< Sanyo Katana< Palm Centro< Samsung Instinct< Palm Pre

<-Daft Punk in the Avatar!
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Maybe someone you're working with has a GSM phone that can be used as a wifi hotspot and help you out. Or maybe you could get a GSM datacard for the next month or two as well, unless that is what you're already using. How easy/hard is it for you to get mail there?

You don't happen to be on Diego Garcia, are you? Talk about the middle of nowhere! :-) I only spent a few weeks there, though... Good luck!
    Current device: Palm Pre
    Former devices: Treo 755p, Treo 650
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaer57 View Post
    Maybe someone you're working with has a GSM phone that can be used as a wifi hotspot and help you out. Or maybe you could get a GSM datacard for the next month or two as well, unless that is what you're already using. How easy/hard is it for you to get mail there?

You don't happen to be on Diego Garcia, are you? Talk about the middle of nowhere! :-) I only spent a few weeks there, though... Good luck!
    BINGO! It looks like I will have about 5 weeks here, 1 behind me though, so at least 4 to go. I get email here, but mail takes about 5 days to 2 weeks to receive.

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

6.    #6  
    I can connect my Pre+ to a wifi network here, and surf the web. Why can't I access the app store to update apps I already have installed, or even install new apps? Why do I get the yellow triangle error screen when I try to access the App store? How is a wifi connection in Diego Garcia different than a wifi connection in the USA? Why does the Pre+ care? It's not on the broadband network, its on wifi...I thought wifi was wifi. I can understand why I can't access broadband if it is a different carrier, or GSM vs. CDMA. But why can't I update apps using wifi?

7.    #7  
    Made it HOME! But it was 12 weeks instead of 5...it's like the Hotel California, checking out of Diego Garcia is not easy! Still, it was a cool adventure!

When I landed in Atlanta...I let my phone update to 1.4.5., and install app updates...it cranked for an hour! The phone was pretty hot, and ran out of juice, had to plug it in to keep it from hitting bottom!

it's all about location , location , location.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->