Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If you've been following the Music Player (Remix) thread in the Hedami developer forum, you'll know that I've been working on the next version of Music Player (Remix) for quite awhile now. I'm finally ready to unveil it to the masses.

So here is a sneak preview of Music Player (Remix) 2.0, the next generation music listening experience on webOS:

Listed below are some of the new features demonstrated in the videos. Some are evolutionary upgrades to the homebrew app, while others are truly revolutionary and one in particular (as far as I know) has never been implemented in any webOS app in the way I have.

- "Faves" are items you can pin to your home screen for one-touch easy access. They can be songs, albums, artists, genres, playlists, or flylists.

- "Flylists" are playlists you create and manage on-the-fly, on your device. You can now add songs, albums, artists, genres, or playlists to a flylist. And items in a flylist will update dynamically when you add new songs to your device.

- Configuration icons at the top of the screen to force the screen to stay on while using the music app and to lock screen orientation (portrait or landscape).

- Sleep timer configurable on the home screen

- Newly designed "now playing" screen with finger-friendly music controls, scrolling song/artist/album info, and scrubber bar.

- Function icons at the top of the "now playing" screen for returning to the home screen, adding the current song to a flylist or the faves list, viewing lyrics, saving a bookmark, and viewing the current playlist.

- Ability to scrub through the current song from the "current playlist" view.

- Ability to queue up the next song by tapping on an icon next to a song in the "current playlist" view.

- "Playlist Preview Mode" which allows you to swipe the screen left or right to browse your current playlist via the album art without interrupting the playback of the current song. You can also queue up a song to play next by swiping up.

- "Quick artist search" - Tapping on the song/artist/album info on the "now playing" screen will bring up the albums of the artist. You can do this in playlist preview mode as well.

- "Universal search" - A revolutionary way to quickly find your music by simply typing. Instantly all songs, albums, artists, genres, playlists, and flylists that match your search string will appear on the screen. You can either start a new playlist with one of your search results or tap the "+" icon next to a result to add the item to the current playlist, save it to a flylist, or save it as a fave.

- Control your music and current playlist via keyboard controls

- "Mini-player" - Using webOS's unique notification system in a way never before implemented in a webOS app, you now have complete control over your music while using other apps. You have a scrubber bar, music controls, and the playlist preview controls all of which are configurable by the user.

- Wallpaper customization - Assign a custom wallpaper image for Music Player (Remix) or use the one assigned on your device and make the app's card semi-transparent when minimizing it.

- Last.FM scrobbling - Let Music Player (Remix) automatically keep track of your played songs and submit them to Last.FM.

- Advanced manual and automatic bookmarking which include visual indicators on the Now Playing screen of any saved bookmarks within a song, the ability to quickly jump from one bookmark/chapter to another by tapping the next or previous buttons. Also bookmarks are saved automatically in every playlist and flylist so you can resume where you left off in a list.

Here are some screenshots of the app:

The Home screen

The Now Playing screen

Universal Search

Mini-Player

Mini-Player (another wallpaper)

Playlist options menu

Song list with alphabet scroller
    Last edited by DanPLC; 09/01/2010 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Added link to Advanced Bookmarking video
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Sounds awesome, very much looking forward to it.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Menelas View Post
    Sounds awesome, very much looking forward to it.
    Thanks...I'm definitely looking forward to its release.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Wow you have really made some major updates! Will there be a charge for this version?
    Wow...I'm blown away at all the new features and the amazing new UI.

The only things I wanted to discuss:
    differences between playlists/flylists/faves
    how the wallpaper image doesn't perfectly resize itself(I noticed it in the video)
    the 3 dashboard icons which could look really bad with a bunch of notifications. If they're three seperate notifications stacked on top, is it possible to have a black or transparent dashboard icon, to give the image of one
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Wow you have really made some major updates! Will there be a charge for this version?
    Yep, this will be available in the app catalog when the next version of webOS is released (the one that adds all of the cool new APIs such as media indexing). I'm still determining what the price will be.

Can't wait the included Music app is way too basic. Any chances of adding different EQ settings?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Wow...I'm blown away at all the new features and the amazing new UI.
    Thanks!

differences between playlists/flylists/faves
    Playlists are ones that you sync from your computer.

Flylists are ones you create and manage within the app. However they're much more powerful than the ones found in the current homebrew version of the app. You can now add any item (not just songs) to flylists. And those items will update automatically when you add new songs to your device.

The faves list is really just a special version of a flylist that is pinned to your home screen.

how the wallpaper image doesn't perfectly resize itself(I noticed it in the video)
    Good eye! Yes you are correct. The reason why is that there is code that corrects for the notification area that may appear at the bottom of the screen. The code has a bug right now that throws this off a bit. It'll be fixed in the release version.

the 3 dashboard icons which could look really bad with a bunch of notifications. If they're three seperate notifications stacked on top, is it possible to have a black or transparent dashboard icon, to give the image of one
    No unfortunately every single dashboard has an icon associated with it. The mini-player feature takes advantage of the ability of an app to create multiple dashboards. But really the webOS notification feature was probably never meant to be used in this way. This is what happens when you think too far outside of the box.

9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    Can't wait the included Music app is way too basic. Any chances of adding different EQ settings?
    I know this would be a popular feature, so it's something I'll be considering. But we'll have to see how and if this can be accomplished. I'll have to wait to see what type of new APIs are released in the next version of webOS. If the SDK does not provide this type of capability, it may be possible using a PDK plugin. However there are 2 problems with this:

1) Currently PDK plugin apps are not allowed in the app catalog. This will of course change in the future, but when I don't know.

2) Currently only MP3s and OGGs are playable using the PDK audio APIs. I'm not sure if people will appreciate me removing audio file format compatibilities just so I can add an EQ that everyone may not use.

So we'll have to see...

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Thanks!

Playlists are ones that you sync from your computer.

Flylists are ones you create and manage within the app. However they're much more powerful than the ones found in the current homebrew version of the app. You can now add any item (not just songs) to flylists. And those items will update automatically when you add new songs to your device.

The faves list is really just a special version of a flylist that is pinned to your home screen.

Good eye! Yes you are correct. The reason why is that there is code that corrects for the notification area that may appear at the bottom of the screen. The code has a bug right now that throws this off a bit. It'll be fixed in the release version.

No unfortunately every single dashboard has an icon associated with it. The mini-player feature takes advantage of the ability of an app to create multiple dashboards. But really the webOS notification feature was probably never meant to be used in this way. This is what happens when you think too far outside of the box.
    Thinking outside the box is what made this country so kudos! haha.

I'm really excited for 2.0. You might want to disclaim that the best wallpaper you can have is 480x480, for landscape, and portrait views.
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  11.    #11  
    Thinking outside the box is what made this country so kudos! haha.

I'm really excited for 2.0. You might want to disclaim that the best wallpaper you can have is 480x480, for landscape, and portrait views.
    Personally I don't mind the look of the 320x480 wallpapers in landscape mode, but yes I'm sure some people don't like the way it looks. But that's the beauty of the app...they can load up any images and make the app look any way they like!

I just got done looking at both your youtube videos and this app is amazing. I do have one suggestion for the miniplayer. The one thing I think that would irritate me is that when I have other notifications present the entire screen will be filled up. So if you could make it optional (maybe through preference selection) to have the preview bar and/or the scrubber in the miniplayer turned off that would be great. Otherwise I really look forward to getting a chance to try out your app.
    Personally I don't mind the look of the 320x480 wallpapers in landscape mode, but yes I'm sure some people don't like the way it looks. But that's the beauty of the app...they can load up any images and make the app look any way they like!
    Doesn't it stretch it though?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    I just got done looking at both your youtube videos and this app is amazing. I do have one suggestion for the miniplayer. The one thing I think that would irritate me is that when I have other notifications present the entire screen will be filled up. So if you could make it optional (maybe through preference selection) to have the preview bar and/or the scrubber in the miniplayer turned off that would be great. Otherwise I really look forward to getting a chance to try out your app.
    All 3 of the mini-player components are configurable by the user! So you can enable or disable any of them. Check out the portion of the video (in part 2) where I bring up the Preferences screen to change the wallpaper. You'll notice a "Dashboard" option at the top of the page. This is where you will be able to configure the mini-player.

15.    #15  
    Doesn't it stretch it though?
    Yes, the wallpaper stretches to fit the screen.

All 3 of the mini-player components are configurable by the user! So you can enable or disable any of them. Check out the portion of the video (in part 2) where I bring up the Preferences screen to change the wallpaper. You'll notice a "Dashboard" option at the top of the page. This is where you will be able to configure the mini-player.
    Awesome. It was a little washed out on my computer so I couldn't read the tab. I saw there was an additional tab but couldn't make out the text. Also wanted to point out that the app seemed to be very responsive in loading and scrolling. Something the default app is very much hurting for. Only thing left is for Palm to allow us to select our default music player.
    Wow. I am really, really impressed with the updates. I have a question.

When the app is in card view and the notifications are there, can you swipe to close certain notifications and keep the others? Like can I can have 2 of the 3 notifications open or 1 of the 3?

I really like the universal search feature and the reordering of the menu screens. I typically always go to Genres first so that is a super plus.

It would be cool to have a preference feature that could be set that lets users have the ability to come back to the songs or area in which they left of at last. Sort of like a history. Say for instance I had an audio book and I closed the app. It would be cool if I opened the app again and it came back to my original place I left off at. Not sure exactly how it would work but it would be nice.

Great improvements to this application.
    Looks good to me! Love all your work!
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    Awesome. It was a little washed out on my computer so I couldn't read the tab. I saw there was an additional tab but couldn't make out the text. Also wanted to point out that the app seemed to be very responsive in loading and scrolling. Something the default app is very much hurting for. Only thing left is for Palm to allow us to select our default music player.
    Yes Music Player (Remix) 2.0 is much more responsive than the default music app.

20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by lsuinhouston View Post
    Wow. I am really, really impressed with the updates. I have a question.

When the app is in card view and the notifications are there, can you swipe to close certain notifications and keep the others? Like can I can have 2 of the 3 notifications open or 1 of the 3?
    Of course! And as I mentioned before, you can configure the app to only load the notifications you're interested in.

I really like the universal search feature and the reordering of the menu screens. I typically always go to Genres first so that is a super plus.
    Yeah universal search has been something I've wanted to add for awhile. And it's something I now use all the time. It's just so convenient.

It would be cool to have a preference feature that could be set that lets users have the ability to come back to the songs or area in which they left of at last. Sort of like a history. Say for instance I had an audio book and I closed the app. It would be cool if I opened the app again and it came back to my original place I left off at. Not sure exactly how it would work but it would be nice.
    This feature is already present in the app. Check out the "part 1" video. The app will remember where you left off and you can tap "Resume Play" on the home screen to resume where you left off.

Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast