Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    What is the maximum file size for using the scrub bar? I have noticed in both the basic player, and your already great remix 1 that files over about 1hr (i.e. podcasts) usually do not respond to the scrub bar for scrolling through the audio.
  2.    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by xylos555 View Post
    What is the maximum file size for using the scrub bar? I have noticed in both the basic player, and your already great remix 1 that files over about 1hr (i.e. podcasts) usually do not respond to the scrub bar for scrolling through the audio.
    I have a test file that is over 8 hours long and the scrubber works. I've never heard any other indications that the scrubber fails to work under certain conditions. Can you PM me a test file that is giving you issues and send me details on how to re-create the issue?
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  3.    #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjpuczko View Post
    looks awesome.
    question: is it impossible to build in scrobbling to last.fm? i had an htc hero & there were 2 music apps in the market that scrobbled to last.fm.
    Scrobbling is on my to-do list. We'll have to see if it makes the first release or not.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

4.    #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by neve View Post
    This looks fantastic.
    Thanks!

Let me tell you the single most coveted feature I wish for in a music player:

In the absence of metadata, the player identifies files based on filename.

That's it. I have zillions of mp3's which are homemade, made by small run indie artists, off the grid, what-have-you.. and are made without tags or metadata of any kind. These songs, even on NanPlayer, come up as "Unknown Artist - Unknown Title". Even though the filename clearly identifies who and what it is.

Please, please, please. Find a way to go with file name if there's no tag or metadata.

Thank you and I can't wait!!

;
    You said "the filename clearly identifies who and what it is". What do you consider to be a clear indication of a way to parse file names? I have seen many different ways filenames are formatted. I'm not sure there's a way to reliably parse a filename.

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Scrobbling is on my to-do list. We'll have to see if it makes the first release or not.
    I would love to see Last.fm scrobbling too
    FYI, I'm about 50% done developing a patch for the WebOS Music Player to support Last.FM scrobbling. If I don't have it out as a patch by the time you start working on the feature, let me know & I'll send you the code I got.
    fantastic! not able to scrobble to last.fm is the one thing i dislike about the pre. not the biggest deal in the world but i'm goofy about my play count there
  8.    #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by hochstrb View Post
    FYI, I'm about 50% done developing a patch for the WebOS Music Player to support Last.FM scrobbling. If I don't have it out as a patch by the time you start working on the feature, let me know & I'll send you the code I got.
    Thanks for the offer, but I don't anticipate using the Last.FM API should be too difficult.

You said "the filename clearly identifies who and what it is". What do you consider to be a clear indication of a way to parse file names? I have seen many different ways filenames are formatted. I'm not sure there's a way to reliably parse a filename.
    I agree. By default when metadata is not found always use the filename for title. I didn't realize it wasn't doing this already, but I think that's a no-brainer workaround rather than having a bunch of completely unidentified tracks.

It you want to get fancy you can parse the common formats for instances where it isn't ambiguous:
    • artist - title
    • title (artist)
    Once you have multiple space-dash-space separators or paretheses it might be safest to treat the whole thing as the title. You could also parse underscores and %20's as spaces for clarity.
  10.    #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by zParticle View Post
    I agree. By default when metadata is not found always use the filename for title. I didn't realize it wasn't doing this already, but I think that's a no-brainer workaround rather than having a bunch of completely unidentified tracks.

It you want to get fancy you can parse the common formats for instances where it isn't ambiguous:
    • artist - title
    • title (artist)
    Once you have multiple space-dash-space separators or paretheses it might be safest to treat the whole thing as the title. You could also parse underscores and %20's as spaces for clarity.
    I've seen "artist - title" used, but I've never seen "title (artist)" used. So I'm not sure it's so easy to define what is "common".

And song titles may have a "-" or "(" in it. How would my software know which format it should use to parse the files? The point being is that if I choose a certain parsing algorithm, it will generate incorrect results for some people.

The only possible solution that I think would be feasible would be to display the whole file name if both the song and artist were missing. So I might do that...and with the nice scrolling song titles I have on the Now Playing screen, it would look half-way decent.

Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    I'm not sure there's a way to reliably parse a filename.
    I probably shouldn't have used the word "parse". How about:
    If there's no metadata present, the filename is used as the track title.

Not a perfect solution, but would simplify things greatly for the thousands of tracks I have that are not fully tag ID'd.

Here's one further.. and perhaps I'm reaching for the unfeasable. Say you've got a folder called "Grateful Dead Pasadena xx-xx-78". And the tracks are just labelled 01.mp3, 02.mp3, 03.mp3. What if the folder they're in were used as the Artist field, and the track names as Titles?

Just for the purposes of playback, I'm not suggesting the app reformat the tracks or anything. Also I suspect file and folder structure might get into some API issues, but that would truly be rad if it recognized what folder stuff was in.
  12.    #112  
    Here's one further.. and perhaps I'm reaching for the unfeasable. Say you've got a folder called "Grateful Dead Pasadena xx-xx-78". And the tracks are just labelled 01.mp3, 02.mp3, 03.mp3. What if the folder they're in were used as the Artist field, and the track names as Titles?
    Not everyone is going to have a meaningful folder name that may represent an artist or album name. For instance, some of my files are stored in a directory called "Soundtracks". I'd rather not display incorrect/nonsensical information for people.

That is the beauty of ID3 tags. It's a standardized format that when utilized properly results in the correct information everytime.

Note that I qualified the parsing discussion with "if you want to get fancy..." As you see, once you start exploring the possible permutations it can get messy. Any parsing done could only be expected to be a "best guess" as there would always be exceptions. You could make an opt-in for "artist - title", or even a custom field where the users can enter their own format using variables, e.g. "%a - %t". But as you say, that's really what the metadata is for, and keeping things simple probably makes the most sense of all.

If there's no metadata present, the filename is used as the track title.
    Probably your optimal solution, full stop.
  14.    #114  
    I think the "use filename as track title when no metadata available" solution is the one I'll go with. It is the simplest solution that should work pretty well for most people who don't fill in their metadata tags.

Wow, you have been busy. There's plenty features in there that I never knew I wanted... until now.

Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    I am looking to have Resume Play start when the App opens with no need to push any button.
    This question is slightly different... but along similar(ish) lines. Pretty please (if you haven't already) make Remix 2 trigger the resume playback functionality when you press a headsets play button e.g. you launch Remix 2, connect a bluetooth headset, click the play button on the headset and Remix 2 starts playing whatever it would normally do if you'd tapped the resume button on the screen. It's a small thing but it can make the difference between having to take your phone out just to tap one button.

Can't wait to take the beta for a spin and see how it compares to NaNplayer. You've got some really nice usability features in there
  16.    #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by Norf View Post
    Wow, you have been busy. There's plenty features in there that I never knew I wanted... until now.

This question is slightly different... but along similar(ish) lines. Pretty please (if you haven't already) make Remix 2 trigger the resume playback functionality when you press a headsets play button e.g. you launch Remix 2, connect a bluetooth headset, click the play button on the headset and Remix 2 starts playing whatever it would normally do if you'd tapped the resume button on the screen. It's a small thing but it can make the difference between having to take your phone out just to tap one button.

Can't wait to take the beta for a spin and see how it compares to NaNplayer. You've got some really nice usability features in there
    That's a really good idea. I'll definitely look into that.

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    looks great, can't wait to try
    Very impressive. I use the current version of your app almost daily, and will definitely be willing to pay for this new release.
    Can anybody play the videos on there Pre? I keep getting an error
  20.    #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Can anybody play the videos on there Pre? I keep getting an error
    I just tried both videos on my Pre and they played fine. What error are you getting?