Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    Hi, I tried to search for this on the forum, but can't find any guidance... I'm using a brand new Palm Pre Plus with Orange in Poland. Whenever I start App Catalog I get error message "The action could not be completed. Try again later." Palm support says that it's because Orange does not support App Catalog.

    Does that mean I will never be able to install ANY Palm application??

    Is there any way to install a Palm application NOT via App Catalog?

    Thanks very much for any suggestions!

    Marcin Bruczkowski
  2. #2  
    Poland is not an officially supported country. Basically this means your only option is the homebrew Catalog. I recommend Preware....link in my signature.

    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  3. #3  
    You might be able to try to get into every beta testing opportunity as well, where people will literally just send you the app to have. Obviously most of these are closed so you'd have to stay involved and see what's up.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Poland is not an officially supported country. Basically this means your only option is the homebrew Catalog. I recommend Preware....link in my signature.

    <<Thread Moved>>
    Thanks for the advice, but how can I install an application from the homebrew Catalog onto my Palm, if I can't even open the AppCatalog? Is there any other way of installing apps onto a Palm Pre?

    PS. I can't view the links in your signature, I don't have 10 posts on this forum yet... :-(

    Marcin
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    You might be able to try to get into every beta testing opportunity as well, where people will literally just send you the app to have. Obviously most of these are closed so you'd have to stay involved and see what's up.
    Honestly, all I want is some application for data synch between my Palm Desktop 4.1.4 and the Palm Pre Plus... Like CompanionLink.

    But even if I got some beta version for testing, how can I install it on my Palm, if I can't open the AppCatalog? I spent some time with Palm support and they said the only way of installing applications on a Palm Pre is via AppCatalog...

    Marcin
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gajdzin View Post
    Honestly, all I want is some application for data synch between my Palm Desktop 4.1.4 and the Palm Pre Plus... Like CompanionLink.

    But even if I got some beta version for testing, how can I install it on my Palm, if I can't open the AppCatalog? I spent some time with Palm support and they said the only way of installing applications on a Palm Pre is via AppCatalog...

    Marcin
    That's like music companies telling you the only way you can get songs on your computer is by buying their CDs.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gajdzin View Post
    Thanks for the advice, but how can I install an application from the homebrew Catalog onto my Palm, if I can't even open the AppCatalog? Is there any other way of installing apps onto a Palm Pre?

    PS. I can't view the links in your signature, I don't have 10 posts on this forum yet... :-(

    Marcin

    Put install.preware.org , you can think of Preware as an homebrew app catalog
    You can also use webos quick install. There is a way of getting free apps as well, I will take a look for the thread.

    Out of curiosity, where in Poland do you live?

    Pip
  8. #8  
    Here, check out this thread as well http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...k-fetcher.html

    Pip
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for all the great advice! I'm off to check out the thread and the preware.org.

    I'm in Warsaw, Poland. Most of the time :-) Next week I'll be in Morristown, NJ.

    Marcin
  10.    #10  
    PS. When I'm in the USA next week, I guess my App Catalog may start working, once I'm roaming with AT&T or another US provider... The problem is that once I buy and install any apps in the USA, and return to Poland, and let's say my Palm crashes and I have to do hard reset, is there a way to RESTORE the apps I have already bought and installed in the States...?

    Marcin
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Here, check out this thread as well ...
    Pip
    Pip, I read the whole thread, and installed the tool, but the tool seems to assume that I can access the App Catalog. It only addresses the problem that some applications are country-specific.

    Now my problem is that I can't access App Catalog at all. When I start it, it displays a blue screen with a message "This action could not be completed. Try again later."

    I spent almost an hour with Palm support online. They made me hard-reset and reinstall the Palm Pre - didn't help. Only later they realized I'm with Orange and explained that App Catalog may not work in Poland.

    I find it hard to believe. If Palm limits the use of some apps in some countries I could understand that, but being unable to even open the App Catalog...?

    The weirdest thing is that I managed to open the App Catalog ONCE. It was when I was just setting up the brand new Palm Pre Plus, before the first synch with Google, etc. I could see some applications in there. After that, I never managed to open the App Catalog again, even after the hard reset with full data erase.

    Marcin
  12. #12  
    preware uses various feeds to supply users with official and homebrew apps. for your purposes, you could turn off the beta, catalog, and web feeds. everything else will be homebrew and will not require access to the app catalog.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    preware uses various feeds to supply users with official and homebrew apps. for your purposes, you could turn off the beta, catalog, and web feeds. everything else will be homebrew and will not require access to the app catalog.
    OK, I'll try that...

    Thank you!

    Marcin
  14. #14  
    The suggestions to use preware are your best option. But the App Catalog is not working for a reason. Take it to your carrier to see if your user environment is stable.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    The suggestions to use preware are your best option. But the App Catalog is not working for a reason. Take it to your carrier to see if your user environment is stable.
    I'm afraid if I ask my carrier about an App Catalog for a Palm Pre, they will have NO idea what I'm talking about... They don't mind the subscribers using non-standard phones, but they don't guarantee they will work right on their network.

    Kind of weird, because in some countries Orange does support Palm Pre. Maybe there is some setting on the network that needs to be enabled for the App Catalog to work? I wish I knew what it was, who knows, they might even turn it on for me...

    Marcin
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gajdzin View Post
    I'm afraid if I ask my carrier about an App Catalog for a Palm Pre, they will have NO idea what I'm talking about... They don't mind the subscribers using non-standard phones, but they don't guarantee they will work right on their network.

    Kind of weird, because in some countries Orange does support Palm Pre. Maybe there is some setting on the network that needs to be enabled for the App Catalog to work? I wish I knew what it was, who knows, they might even turn it on for me...

    Marcin
    Sorry the ipk fetcher didn't help, I didn't realise you needed an app catalogue to begin with.

    It is not your network settings, it is the geo filtering done by Palm. You being able to access the app cat the first time could have something to do with how close warshawa is to germany, it may have been filtering your location. Although I could be talking crap on that second part.

    Preware and webos-quick install will get you access to homebrew apps. They will also allow you install ipk files such as the free music ringtone app.

    Pip
  17. #17  
    And if you can't access it in Poland and that is where your profile is registered, it won't let you access it when you're in the U.S., either. The phone reads it according to where your profile has been set-up.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    And if you can't access it in Poland and that is where your profile is registered, it won't let you access it when you're in the U.S., either. The phone reads it according to where your profile has been set-up.
    The funny thing is: why has my profile been set up in Poland...? When setting up for the first time, I chose USA as the country, simply because Poland wasn't in the list! OK, my SIM card is from Orange Poland, but theoretically I could be an American on vacation in Poland (a really nice country, you know ), who just bought an Orange prepaid card to avoid roaming charges.

    So - how does it know I'm in Poland? From my router's IP address?

    Marcin
  19. #19  
    For most paid apps, you can always go illegal, but it depends how desperate you are.
    Last edited by Editor02; 08/15/2010 at 06:58 AM. Reason: typo
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    For most paid apps, you can always go illegal, but it depends how desperate you are.
    I'm VERY desperate... I'm also very ready to pay the CompanionLink for their software that will let me hotsynch with my old Palm Desktop. And whoever writes some software that will add the CATEGORY feature to my Palm Pre Contact list. Or color-coding to my Appointments, just like we had in Palm OS... Right now my Contact list is a mad jumble of several thousand names, CD titles, and other databases I set up as separate Categories in the old Palm. It's completely unmanageable.

    How do you "go illegal"? I'll buy the CompanionLink or other software anyway, I'm a writer and a musician, I hate piracy, it robs me of my royalties

    Marcin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions