Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    My asphault 5 just shuts down when I start a race..I have tried restarting the phone to no avail...any ideas? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Quote Originally Posted by shcole View Post
    My asphault 5 just shuts down when I start a race..I have tried restarting the phone to no avail...any ideas? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Yes it is a known bug in 1.4.5, it has also been largely publicised, you should consider expanding your webos news sources in the future.
    You have 3 options.
    1)Install the fstab fixer from Preware. This will allow it to now work and the bug will be fixed

2)Doctor to 1.4.5, the bug will be fixed

3)Wait for gameloft to update A5 to get around the bug

The most painless by far is option 1

Pip
    run emergency fstabx via Preware. That will handle your issue. You don't have to doctor.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Thank you. I did try I a search, but I guess I did not do it well...none the less, thanks for the solutions offered. I will try them.
    I have this same problem! My Asphalt 5 no longer works! Arrrrgh!
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Precentral does it again. I've never enjoyed a phone as much as I do with the Palm Pre. And having this community does make it so much better. Another quick fix issue by just doing a search. Thank you guys!
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Is there any hope of an update that will fix this game? I don't want to install Preware, I'm keeping my phone stock. The developer used to return emails with "be patient, we're working on it." Now they don't respond anymore at all. Are we at the point where I just give up and delete the game?
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    Is there any hope of an update that will fix this game? I don't want to install Preware, I'm keeping my phone stock. The developer used to return emails with "be patient, we're working on it." Now they don't respond anymore at all. Are we at the point where I just give up and delete the game?
    No Preware? You have no idea what you are missing.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    No Preware? You have no idea what you are missing.
    I know the preware stuff is cool, but I need this phone for business use, and I have to be able to absolutely rely upon it for phone and data at all times. I don't want to take chances, even if they are small.
    I know the preware stuff is cool, but I need this phone for business use, and I have to be able to absolutely rely upon it for phone and data at all times. I don't want to take chances, even if they are small.
    It's only for business use? Then why does it matter if the GAME Asphalt 5 works?

If you absolutely refuse to use the available homebrew solutions to fix this bug, then the only FIX is a trip to the WebOS Doctor.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightburn View Post
    It's only for business use? Then why does it matter if the GAME Asphalt 5 works?

If you absolutely refuse to use the available homebrew solutions to fix this bug, then the only FIX is a trip to the WebOS Doctor.
    No, its not only for business use. It is my personal phone, but as a teacher I am CONSTANTLY using it to call parents, reply to emails, and schdeule meetings (of which we have too many to count). I also use it for all of my lesson planning (using Lesson Plan in Classic). On top of it, I commute 60 miles each way over desert, with no other towns on the way, so if I break down without a phone I'll be coyote food.

How would I fix it with WebOS doctor? (I have no experience with that program).
    No, its not only for business use. It is my personal phone, but as a teacher I am CONSTANTLY using it to call parents, reply to emails, and schdeule meetings (of which we have too many to count). I also use it for all of my lesson planning (using Lesson Plan in Classic). On top of it, I commute 60 miles each way over desert, with no other towns on the way, so if I break down without a phone I'll be coyote food.

How would I fix it with WebOS doctor? (I have no experience with that program).
    The 1.4.5 doctor will make a fresh install of the OS. It will wipe everything on your phone except for the USB partition.
    Your apps, contacts, email, calenders will then re-sync after you sign back into your palm profile. However app data will be lost (If you had Preware you ould use Save/Restore to back it up and restore)

It is also possible to utilise Palm's developer tools and command line into the Pre and manually change the line yourself so that the bug is fixed.

However, I really don't see the problem of installing Preware and then only using it to install the Fstab Fixer. You don't have to patch if you have preware. Plus if you had preware you could get Save/Restore and make a proper back up of your app data. I really don't think you could jeopardise your phone by using Preware, Fstab Fixer, Save/Restore. But ofcourse that is a personal choice. If you do decide to take the plunge, instructions are at install.preware.org

Pip
    I agree with Pip, I would be much more painless to install Preware, run the Fstab Fixer, and then remove Preware, then to doctor your phone.

I made a poll, specifically for the OP of THIS thread, regarding overclocking. Just a general interest poll, but maybe they might change their minds when they see the results. (You have no idea what you're missing )

HERE is the poll I made regarding overclocking.
    Last edited by sledge007; 09/21/2010 at 06:39 AM.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    If you are truly wanting your phone to run reliably and smoothly, then I would seriously use Preware to add 3 items:

1. Add the Emergency Fstab Fixer (easier than installing a fresh version of the OS via the Doctor since this fix was built into the 1.4.5 Doctor version)
    2. Install the Uberkernel - makes your device run faster, more smoothly, and more efficiently
    3. Install the Govnah app - this allows you to set the Uberkernel speeds either manually, or using presets.

After you install those three(3) items.... you can delete Preware if you want and then come back in here and thank us for pushing you into those items. (And you will want to thank us)
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    If you are truly wanting your phone to run reliably and smoothly, then I would seriously use Preware to add 3 items:

1. Add the Emergency Fstab Fixer (easier than installing a fresh version of the OS via the Doctor since this fix was built into the 1.4.5 Doctor version)
    2. Install the Uberkernel - makes your device run faster, more smoothly, and more efficiently
    3. Install the Govnah app - this allows you to set the Uberkernel speeds either manually, or using presets.

After you install those three(3) items.... you can delete Preware if you want and then come back in here and thank us for pushing you into those items. (And you will want to thank us)
    Indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightburn View Post
    lol.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Have you looked at the catalog listing for Asphalt 5 lately? They're still selling it even though it doesn't work! That's borderline fraud. We know to come here for fixes, but what about the average user? The reviews are the only place there is any indication that anything is wrong with this game. Gameloft doesn't even respond to emails about Asphalt anymore. Is there a mechanism to complain to Palm/HP about this? At the very least, this game should come with a warning.
    This may be old information, but the last update I did for my Sprint Pre included an update for Asphalt 5. After the update installed, this game works again perfectly! I installed this update a few weeks ago, and got it from the Updates App.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!