Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by rgloor View Post
    Great. Let's hope that you find soon some time and that the fix is easy done.

In case this is difficult, there could be a work around:

Are there many people using Noted! as stand-alone (without synching to SimpleNote)?

Else, it could be "easy".
    a) Sync before update (SimpleNote = up-to-date)
    b) uninstall old version of Noted!
    c) install new version of Noted!
    d) sync again (= load data from SimpleNote to Noted!)

Greetings,
    Rolf
    Yes, that will work for a beta version, but I will want the app cat version to update your existing data.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by haeffb View Post
    Yes, that will work for a beta version, but I will want the app cat version to update your existing data.
    Yes. That makes sense.
    I have a LOT of notes in SimpleNote (+1700).

Noted! opens and seems to scroll through and display notes very quickly but I notice that editing notes is become VERY slow. I have actually resorted to creating notes in Palm's built-in "post-it note" app and then I cut and paste them into Noted! I have 2 questions...

1. Will the next version of Noted! be doing anything to improve speed during editing?

2. Should I be doing anything different with how I manage my notes?... by that I mean, does Noted! perform better if I have a greater number of notes but each note is smaller OR would it perform better if I have many less notes but the notes themselves are larger (contain more text)?

Also, unrelated to the speed problem I really like using "tags" in SimpleNote and in Resoph Notes... will tags be coming to Noted! soon?

Thanks for your help!

Eric
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by edfehrman View Post
    I have a LOT of notes in SimpleNote (+1700).

Noted! opens and seems to scroll through and display notes very quickly but I notice that editing notes is become VERY slow. I have actually resorted to creating notes in Palm's built-in "post-it note" app and then I cut and paste them into Noted! I have 2 questions...

1. Will the next version of Noted! be doing anything to improve speed during editing?

2. Should I be doing anything different with how I manage my notes?... by that I mean, does Noted! perform better if I have a greater number of notes but each note is smaller OR would it perform better if I have many less notes but the notes themselves are larger (contain more text)?

Also, unrelated to the speed problem I really like using "tags" in SimpleNote and in Resoph Notes... will tags be coming to Noted! soon?

Thanks for your help!

Eric
    Eric,

I hope to improve the speed in a new version of Noted! I don't know if there's a better way to manage your notes. 1700 is a lot...

Tag support is under development, but a release date is probably a way off yet.
  5.    #65  
    I am uploading version 0.1.3 of Noted!

This version uses the new Simplenote API and includes database updates.

Please make sure you've synced any important data before installing 0.1.3.

However, I'd like to have the database updates tested, so if you could have some "non-important" notes in an unsynced state (i.e. edited on device or on web) before updating, that would be good. Essentially I'm looking for testing of the upgrade process to see if there are any "gotchas".

This version includes tag support in the task details screen, but doesn't yet support filtering by tags (except that you can search by tags). I'm trying to come up with a decent UI to allow filtering by tags.

It also does not (yet?) support "pins".

The syncing and database system are all heavily modified from version 0.1.0, so I would appreciate substantial testing of this release. Let me know if you see any problems.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Hi Brian

There seems to be a bug in Noted!
    It was in before the update. Just wanted to report it, when I saw the new version. So I tested to see if it was fixed.
    No, not fixed, still in there.

BUG:
    I do have some problems with my WiFi. So after a short time of inactivity, it somehow looses the access to the WLAN, even showing the WiFi symbol and a good reception.

Whenever that happens, Noted! can not sync.
    When this happens, Noted! looses the stored account password. So one has to enter the password again before being able to connect to SimpleNote again.

(Note: This does not happen in Done!, where I have the same situation with loosing WLAN access. It just can't sync. When the connection is fine again, it syncs fine with the still stored password.)
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    I am uploading version 0.1.3 of Noted!

This version uses the new Simplenote API and includes database updates.

Please make sure you've synced any important data before installing 0.1.3.

However, I'd like to have the database updates tested, so if you could have some "non-important" notes in an unsynced state (i.e. edited on device or on web) before updating, that would be good. Essentially I'm looking for testing of the upgrade process to see if there are any "gotchas".

This version includes tag support in the task details screen, but doesn't yet support filtering by tags (except that you can search by tags). I'm trying to come up with a decent UI to allow filtering by tags.

It also does not (yet?) support "pins".

The syncing and database system are all heavily modified from version 0.1.0, so I would appreciate substantial testing of this release. Let me know if you see any problems.
    Hi Brian

First, thanks for implementing the tags. Looking foreward to the filter implementation.

There is a syncing bug within the new version:

It seems, that it syncs fine any tasks created or modified on Noted! (at the Palm device).

However, Tasks created or modified on the web, do not get synced to the Palm. It does show "Getting Web Modified Notes: 1 notes" (same message when note newly created on the web, or when note modified on the web).

Never the less, there is no new note on Noted! and modifications are not synced either.

Should I go ahead and delete Noted! from the Palm and start over, or should I keep the installation for further testing?
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Hi Brian

Regarding the tag filtering:

Just get read of the Noted! in the Title bar (just leave it on the top left menu bar, as in Done!) and use the free space for a pull down menu.

My Idea: 3 button Titles/Text variations:

- No tag filter selected: -> show ALL (in button)
    - One tag as filter selected: -> show tag name (in button)
    - Several tags selected: -> show multiple (in button) / or selection / or a word alike

Thanks in advance for the great program.
    Last edited by rgloor; 10/31/2010 at 02:25 PM.
  9.    #69  
    Hi Brian

There seems to be a bug in Noted!
    It was in before the update. Just wanted to report it, when I saw the new version. So I tested to see if it was fixed.
    No, not fixed, still in there.

BUG:
    I do have some problems with my WiFi. So after a short time of inactivity, it somehow looses the access to the WLAN, even showing the WiFi symbol and a good reception.

Whenever that happens, Noted! can not sync.
    When this happens, Noted! looses the stored account password. So one has to enter the password again before being able to connect to SimpleNote again.

(Note: This does not happen in Done!, where I have the same situation with loosing WLAN access. It just can't sync. When the connection is fine again, it syncs fine with the still stored password.)
    Noted doesn't show your password when you go into account settings. You will always have to re-enter the password if you're logging into Simplenote.

However, you should have to do that after losing your wifi connection. Just wait until you have a wifi signal and sync again.
  10.    #70  
    Hi Brian

First, thanks for implementing the tags. Looking foreward to the filter implementation.

There is a syncing bug within the new version:

It seems, that it syncs fine any tasks created or modified on Noted! (at the Palm device).

However, Tasks created or modified on the web, do not get synced to the Palm. It does show "Getting Web Modified Notes: 1 notes" (same message when note newly created on the web, or when note modified on the web).

Never the less, there is no new note on Noted! and modifications are not synced either.

Should I go ahead and delete Noted! from the Palm and start over, or should I keep the installation for further testing?
    Bug found and fixed. There are some serious issues with the note create/modified times and sync times provided from the Simplenote server. I've made some changes to correct for those issues.

Version 0.1.5 uploaded.
  11.    #71  
    Hi Brian

Regarding the tag filtering:

Just get read of the Noted! in the Title bar (just leave it on the top left menu bar, as in Done!) and use the free space for a pull down menu.

My Idea: 3 button Titles/Text variations:

- No tag filter selected: -> show ALL (in button)
    - One tag as filter selected: -> show tag name (in button)
    - Several tags selected: -> show multiple (in button) / or selection / or a word alike

Thanks in advance for the great program.
    That is definitely one option and I like the idea initially.

But since tags are free-form and can be created "on the fly" in any note, it's a bit harder to keep track of them than, for instance, folders in Done! And you could have hundreds... This will take some thought to get right. Any other suggestions appreciated.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Noted doesn't show your password when you go into account settings. You will always have to re-enter the password if you're logging into Simplenote.

However, you should have to do that after losing your wifi connection. Just wait until you have a wifi signal and sync again.
    Sorry for not stating it clear enough.
    I try to sync and Noted! can't sync (WLAN access / time out).
    Then I disconnect from /disable WLAN and enable WLAN again to ensure working WLAN.
    When I try to sync now (hitting the sync button), I jumps right into the Account Settings with the eMail address selected / highlighted. (~ asks for the password). If I just leave the Account Settings (back swipe) and try again to sync, it jumps right back to the Account Settings. It only syncs again after re-entering the password.

(Try that by setting: WLAN sync only, switch off WLAN and try to sync. Enable WLAN and hit sync.)

EDIT: Seems to be fixed in Version 0.1.5! It was jumping to the Account Settings.
    I left without entering the password. Upgraded to the new version (0.1.5) and tried syncing.
    Works just again without entering the password. Thanks.

EDIT 2: There are still some issues. Under certain circumstances, I still have this problem. I could localize the problem to the following:

When a problem with the WLAN connection causes Noted! to create the following message:
    Code:
    Starting Sync Process
    Error Logging into Simplenote
    After this error message, it always deletes the password, and it has to be re-entered.
    Last edited by rgloor; 11/01/2010 at 04:16 AM.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    That is definitely one option and I like the idea initially.

But since tags are free-form and can be created "on the fly" in any note, it's a bit harder to keep track of them than, for instance, folders in Done! And you could have hundreds... This will take some thought to get right. Any other suggestions appreciated.
    As I mentioned in an earlier post. The (free form) implementation of tags within SimpleNote is not a very nice solution.

-> However, look at ResophNotes.

This implementation is much better.
    You still can enter new tags. But all existing tags, are available for selection by a tick box for each. (No double tags - like "TEST" and "Test" - or by miss typing.)

You could implement a similar behaviour in the note detail screen.
    Adding new tag(s) and/or selection of existing tag(s).

The filtering on the all notes overview page could be done as described in my previous post.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Bug found and fixed. There are some serious issues with the note create/modified times and sync times provided from the Simplenote server. I've made some changes to correct for those issues.

Version 0.1.5 uploaded.
    For version 0.1.3 I did create some test notes, which did not synchronize from web (SimpleNote) to webOS (Noted!).

After upgrading to 0.1.5, they didn't sync right away.
    (Eventually because there were no new / new modified notes.

But after editing some (of the non-syncing) notes, the edited notes now sync fine.

Note/idea:
    So the only effected ones are notes, falling into this gap. So for the future, you might wanna look into something like an notes count comparison. If the number of notes on SimpleNote and Noted! is not the same after a sync, it should do something like a "slow sync" (a complete sync of all notes).
    Or have that in general as an option (through the menu), to perform a slow / complete sync.

Just an idea for the future, in case due to whatever reason, there is a difference between the two systems (SimpleNote, Noted!).

EDIT:
    Did some more testing. There is still a weird sync bug:
    When I create or modify a note (A) on the web (SimpleNote), go to some other notes, but very soon go back and then delete this note (A), it still get's synced over to webOS (Noted!).
    Sometimes, it get's removed at a later sync. Sometimes it stays.
    Very difficult to reproduce consistently.
    Last edited by rgloor; 11/01/2010 at 04:01 AM.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    When I use HTML markup in a note, it is rendered as such in the preview (e.g. b for bold). Bug or feature?

I discovered this by accident as I have a note which is basically a XML document to use as a template for some work I'm doing. None of the XML elements show up in the preview.
    haeffb, I just got a Pre2 and I see that the app catalog says that Noted! doesn't work on this version of webOS. Any idea when that may be resolved?
  17.    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by hboisvert View Post
    haeffb, I just got a Pre2 and I see that the app catalog says that Noted! doesn't work on this version of webOS. Any idea when that may be resolved?
    Not sure why it wouldn't. It's running on my Pre 2, but I don't have access to the app catalog. Have you tried the beta from Preware?
    Not sure why it wouldn't. It's running on my Pre 2, but I don't have access to the app catalog. Have you tried the beta from Preware?
    Interestingly, Preware doesn't show me the beta version, only the app catalog version. Do you have a direct link for the beta?
  19.    #79  
    The beta is (supposed to be) available here on Precentral, but it looks like their feeds are still broken... I can't even update the app here today.
    The homebrew link points to the app catalog. Do you have a direct http link to a hosted IPK that I could paste in preware to download and install?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast