View Poll Results: Would you purchase an ad-free version of RadioTime?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

42 60.00%
  • No.

28 40.00%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    It's pretty painless, The ad just slides from bottom to top and the stream continues. Ask for anything further and it open a separate card to a web page.

It's the way the game is played, as you know. No "pay for" apps + no advertising = no platform.
    I don't believe it ever opens a separate card to a web browser. The ad landing is just displayed in a webview so all clicks should go to that webview. If it does not interpret clicks inside of the webview, I need to fix that.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Follow TuneIn on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/tunein
    You are probably right (you ought to know). if I notice different, I'll let you know.

Thanks,

C
    Quote Originally Posted by DocLee View Post
    Well, the reason for the poll is because of just that...free apps get a vastly more downloads than paid apps get. I can't get into specifics with the amount of money based on ad revenue but the fact of the matter is that it will drop as WebOS isn't doing very well in the market place. Advertisers just aren't that interested in the platform as a whole right "Hey...we want to advertise on Android," and they'll do pretty darn well for their money. It's all about "reach." There aren't that many high face time apps on WebOS that are ad supported. High face time meaning the amount of time a person actually uses the application. The more face time an app has, the better advertising will work. But, if WebOS isn't doing that well in the marketplace, then the advertisers will seek out high face time applicationsnow because of the domination of iOS and Android. An advertiser will say, on other platforms. Ad revenue will dry up. In order to supplement that dried up revenue, it might be time to switch over to a paid application in addition to the ad-supported version of the application.

The pricing would be around $1.99 to $4.99. If a significant number of users purchase the application, that would allow us to keep the application on the platform. If it's not making any money, it doesn't make sense to keep it on the platform.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    I appreciate the input. But, I'm really curious about two things.

First, it the ads are pay per view, or pay per click - why wouldn't they want to advertise on webOS too. Isn't my click through as good as anyone using an android phone? does it cost them anything to run the ad if no one clicks?

In terms of download volume, I'm really wondering how many a developer has to sell to make it worth doing. And how many free downloads does it take for the ad model to pay off - in general terms.

So if you said that you need to sell 5,000 apps to be worth it, or you could get to the same place with 20,000 downloads - it would show a ratio to measure or shoot for. I just made those numbers up, so I have no idea what the tipping point is for each model, but I'm curious because I'm assuming developers figure that stuff out.

On the price side, I like $1.99 apps. Anything you put in the catalog I will buy. but in terms of where I hesitate on apps I haven't tried... $1.99 is that point. Anything more, and I'm going to think about it. $1.99 or less is a no-brainer for me. That's why I have so many radio apps - even though I only use RadioTime...

So I'm off to click through your ads a few times. I've noticed that it won't give me the ad again until I close the app. It just gives me a lank screen after the first view if I try to view it again... and you can make the banner much more visible if that will help you make money...
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Ps, Palm needs to create an automatic try-before-you-buy like the iPhone app store has... that would solve a lot of this.

Reserve yours today!
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I appreciate the input. But, I'm really curious about two things.

First, it the ads are pay per view, or pay per click - why wouldn't they want to advertise on webOS too. Isn't my click through as good as anyone using an android phone? does it cost them anything to run the ad if no one clicks?
    The main issue is reach. Breaking down the users of WebOS, you have mainly one network in the US...Sprint. 90% of all on-network WebOS ad network traffic for our application comes from the Sprint network (excluding mobile wifi). There just aren't that many WebOS users either so you end up running your ad to the same set of users every single time compared to something like iOS or Android. Yes, AT&T has Iphone exclusivity in the US, but there are also (if reports are correct) 15.8 million US sales of the Iphone (and Ipod Touch). As for Android, every carrier has an Android device and in general they all sell very well. CPC costs vary by ad network. Some charge a fee to run a certain number of ads, some don't and only charge on the click. We'd prefer CPM advertisers (heck...everybody would!), but they are migrating to the Android platform very rapidly.

In terms of download volume, I'm really wondering how many a developer has to sell to make it worth doing. And how many free downloads does it take for the ad model to pay off - in general terms.

So if you said that you need to sell 5,000 apps to be worth it, or you could get to the same place with 20,000 downloads - it would show a ratio to measure or shoot for. I just made those numbers up, so I have no idea what the tipping point is for each model, but I'm curious because I'm assuming developers figure that stuff out.
    It really depends on the application and who runs the service. At RadioTime, we have server costs. For something like the Shoutcast applications, the service is run by a third party, AOL. Compare the size of AOL to RadioTime and well, they are a lot bigger in terms of revenue from other avenues to support the listing services. I won't get into specific numbers, but I'd say in general it would work out to around 500 ad supported/1 paid over the course of 1 year assuming $1.99 for the paid app.

On the price side, I like $1.99 apps. Anything you put in the catalog I will buy. but in terms of where I hesitate on apps I haven't tried... $1.99 is that point. Anything more, and I'm going to think about it. $1.99 or less is a no-brainer for me. That's why I have so many radio apps - even though I only use RadioTime...
    I think with new planned features, the price point will probably have to be a bit higher than $1.99. Of course, some of those features are a year or more out, but, patience is a virtue. The alternative is a subscription service like Slacker Radio.

So I'm off to click through your ads a few times. I've noticed that it won't give me the ad again until I close the app. It just gives me a lank screen after the first view if I try to view it again... and you can make the banner much more visible if that will help you make money...
    Banner size is pretty standard. You have to remember that the Pre has a sibling...the Pixi. I swear, that thing is going to be the death of me. It's hard to lay out an application that looks the same on both screen sizes. I'll look into that screen blanking issue and see if it's just a problem with the webview widget not resetting or if it's just the ad network not recognizing rapid click thrus.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I'm going to keep it real here. You've made such a great app (which I use daily) that I don't think I would pay for an upgrade. Honestly, I think you'd be better off doing a Free Version of the app that's only valid for a few stations, and then make the pay app include all the stations.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillykef View Post
    I'm going to keep it real here. You've made such a great app (which I use daily) that I don't think I would pay for an upgrade. Honestly, I think you'd be better off doing a Free Version of the app that's only valid for a few stations, and then make the pay app include all the stations.
    I don't think that's a very effective marketing strategy this late in the game. I think a lot of people would just choose not to upgrade to the latest version of the application and if they did, we'd end up taking a lot of flack for it. Heck, we still have people using version 1.0.0 of the app. Not just a few either. Thousands. There were 1.8 million ad requests on an ad network that was dropped after version 1.0.0 in the last 5 days. I just want to know who these people are and if they see the first menu item that says, "**Update Available**" that links directly to the App Catalog. Heck, some of the features in that version are even badly broken now.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I don't think that's a very effective marketing strategy this late in the game. I think a lot of people would just choose not to upgrade to the latest version of the application and if they did, we'd end up taking a lot of flack for it. Heck, we still have people using version 1.0.0 of the app. Not just a few either. Thousands. There were 1.8 million ad requests on an ad network that was dropped after version 1.0.0 in the last 5 days. I just want to know who these people are and if they see the first menu item that says, "**Update Available**" that links directly to the App Catalog. Heck, some of the features in that version are even badly broken now.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Agreed. I was sending you back in time to roll it out like that, NOT make the switch now.
    @DocLee, thanks for the education. That's exactly the right info, and the right level of detail for what I wanted to understand. Fascinating.

Just a personal opinion. I would pay more for your app, I'm just saying that $1.99 and below I don't think twice and will by apps just to try them if they are cheap enough. You might find a significant tipping point at $1.99 or even $2.99, but that's just me. I'd be interested in any stats other developers have gathered here on on the iPhone.

But, the thing I most wanted to say is (personally speaking) I refuse to pay for subscriptions. I don't even have cable. I don't mind buying things, and I don't even mind paying more for something up front to avoid recurring charges. I know that recurring revenue is the holy Grail in software, but they are just not something I will sign up for. My experience in other tech markets has taught me that subscriptions chase away a lot of users compared to a one-time charge.

Heck, I'd rather have the app expire every year so I have to buy it again, but no subscriptions - that's a deal breaker for me. Others may not agree, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Reserve yours today!
  10. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    I would definitely buy it...
    The main issue is reach. Breaking down the users of WebOS, you have mainly one network in the US...Sprint. 90% of all on-network WebOS ad network traffic for our application comes from the Sprint network (excluding mobile wifi).
    I'm surprised at that stat. There has to be more Verizon Pre Plus users (using WiFi) who access RadioTime. Can you track WiFi based connections?
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    I'm surprised at that stat. There has to be more Verizon Pre Plus users (using WiFi) who access RadioTime. Can you track WiFi based connections?
    We can't track a carrier based off of wifi. I have a feeling a lot of wifi traffic is Canadian because Bell Canada blocks our servers. You have to remember that the Pre Plus came out January 25th, 2010. The Droid was released October 30th, 2009. It came out too late on Verizon and was poorly advertised.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    I probably would buy it just to have the "Pro" version.

I usually like to have the Pro version of any app in all honesty so I know I'm not missing out on any extra features or benefits
    Mobile HotSpot At&t
    Oh and price range I would expect based on other radio players no more than $1.99
    Mobile HotSpot At&t
    DocLee I'd like to say here that RadioTime is an awesome app - and I appreciate it that it is free so far on webOS but paid on Android! Last month I convinced my buddy who owns the EVO to buy it and I mentioned this to another Droid owner as well recently. Even though I voted no (because the ads havent bothered me and I get everything I want to from it), I would consider buying it based on other responses so far just to support you.
    Just curious, If i find new stations (that are non-wma) I'd like you to carry on RadioTiime, is there an easy way to contact you to submit that info? Thanks!
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anand_74 View Post
    Just curious, If i find new stations (that are non-wma) I'd like you to carry on RadioTiime, is there an easy way to contact you to submit that info? Thanks!
    I don't want to post the email address here because of spam bots but it's listed in the Help section of the application. That's pretty much the fastest way to get in touch with people that can make it happen. We're always interested in more stations.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Let me just say like everyone else I would purchase it even with the ads, because you guys ROCK!!!!

If you can figure out a way to STREAM my Paid of subscription to MLB mobile that would be worth it in the PRO version. I hate going to MLB website clicking 4 or 5 links to open an audio stream.

Also the way you guys handle live HOCKEY games was amazing.
    I'd buy the paid version. I have a pre plus.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jckatz View Post
    If you can figure out a way to STREAM my Paid of subscription to MLB mobile that would be worth it in the PRO version. I hate going to MLB website clicking 4 or 5 links to open an audio stream.
    Not possible because of licensing restrictions.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    I was afraid you would say that.

BTW: As a transplant I can't watch my local NFL team on Cable and have no desire to pay for DirectTV NFL package.

Radiotime is GREAT for listening to any NFL team.

Another reason I would have NO problem paying for your app.

Not possible because of licensing restrictions.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Last edited by jckatz; 08/14/2010 at 07:53 PM.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast