View Poll Results: Would you purchase an ad-free version of RadioTime?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

42 60.00%
  • No.

28 40.00%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    didn't I already pay for radio time app? Pretty sure I paid for it... I use it all the time...
    It's been free since day 1. If you did buy it from some place...you got scammed.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Follow TuneIn on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/tunein
    I'd be willing to pay the same 6.00 that is charge on Android. But 3.99 would be better. lol

I used this program this past weekend on a 200 mile charity motorcycle run. When in a crowd of 100+ motorcycles a rider has to wear earplugs. I use true earplug headphones. Ran raidiotime and selected my fav. station. Except for a small dead spot in the hills the program made the ride that much better.
    Last edited by Finally Pre; 08/10/2010 at 08:48 AM.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    like many others, the ads don't really bother me. but I would buy it to support you, especially if it maybe had some extra features...like waking up to your last-played radio station!
    (oh, and if you could somehow magicaly make Bloomber radio stream correctly)
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerkang View Post
    like many others, the ads don't really bother me. but I would buy it to support you, especially if it maybe had some extra features...like waking up to your last-played radio station!
    (oh, and if you could somehow magicaly make Bloomber radio stream correctly)
    Going to be talking directly to HP on Monday. I'll be sure to bring up the AAC+ bug in WebOS.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    RadioTime is by far my favorite radio app. Whenever I'm showing anyone the wonders of my Pre and WebOS, I always start up RadioTime cuz it has such a cool look to the UI and never fails to ellicit OoOoOo's and Aaaaaw's !! So yes, I'd definitely want to keep supporting this app.
    My biggest beef is that here in the GWN (great white north), Bell for some unknown reason has decided to block this app from streaming over its EVDO network. It was unblocked for a while not too long ago which was great but more recently I found it blocked again. But I can still use it when I have a Wifi connection.
    Tha ads don't bother me. I might be willing to purchase a "pro" version anyway, especially if it inculded any additional features or support.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    love the app use it everyday. might pay for it if you could get the bugs out. it seem that some of my local stations just cut out for no reason, and i have to find another stations that carries the same morning show. also i'm not sure if you have anything to to with this is, but the commericals are different than the radio stations and sometimes they run over.
    Quote Originally Posted by DocLee View Post
    For all of you saying that you don't notice the ads, that's actually part of the problem. There are only so many CPM ads available. CPM ads are just "show it and get paid" ads. Advertisers aren't really looking for CPM ads on WebOS because of the limited market compared to Android and iOS. So, in order to generate revenue, ads need to be clicked. That's one reason why in the latest version, I implemented the in-app ad opening that prevents the program from being minimized and opening up a new browser card. Ads can be dismissed by just hitting the Close button.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    I'll pay for an ad free app. And I'll go and click on a few ads too.

(but I'm not into 'Mob Wars' any other ads out there?)
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    I'll pay for an ad free app. And I'll go and click on a few ads too.

(but I'm not into 'Mob Wars' any other ads out there?)
    Are you using over wifi? Mob Wars is one of the cheap ads that usually only appears on wifi. Of course, there was a bug in 1.1.1 that up'ed the ad requests from 2 million to 100 million that caused some ad networks to stop serving. They should be coming back online in the next few days with better campaigns. But, each click does count no matter what the ad.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    BBC Radio 1 streams in Windows Media Audio which is not supported by WebOS at all. You'd have to take that up with HP/Palm.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Going to be talking directly to HP on Monday. I'll be sure to bring up the AAC+ bug in WebOS.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    While you are talking to them, please bring up the WMA issue. I'd pay really silly money for RadioTime if you could get WMA support
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    I'd pay doc, just let me know when it's avail. Radio time is an awesome app!!!
    It's been free since day 1. If you did buy it from some place...you got scammed.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    OK, thanks for the info. I know I bought several radio programs and I can't tell which one cost because they are all "download for free" once the payment is in my palm profile...

so even though I paid for other radio apps, Radio Time is the one I use...

And I'll buy pretty much any app you make just because I want good developers to make good money on webOS.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    I would to support what you have done the ads really don't bother me.
    Same here they dont bother me...but i will buy it.
    also, how many apps would you need to sell to exceed the ad revenue you can get in the free version? I'm wondering which is more profitable assuming that generally the same number of users use the app (meaning that free doesn't make it drastically more popular)
    Last edited by Workerb33; 08/10/2010 at 04:45 PM.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    For all of you saying that you don't notice the ads, that's actually part of the problem. There are only so many CPM ads available. CPM ads are just "show it and get paid" ads. Advertisers aren't really looking for CPM ads on WebOS because of the limited market compared to Android and iOS. So, in order to generate revenue, ads need to be clicked. That's one reason why in the latest version, I implemented the in-app ad opening that prevents the program from being minimized and opening up a new browser card. Ads can be dismissed by just hitting the Close button.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    In that case, I'd probably drop the $ for the no-ad version (as long as the price was reasonable). But I'd definitely pay to get rid of ads and to support your work.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    I would to support what you have done the ads really don't bother me.
    +1 i voted no but then thought about it and i feel the same as mamouton
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    also, how many apps would you need to sell to exceed the ad revenue you can get in the free version? I'm wondering which is more profitable assuming that generally the same number of users use the app (meaning that free doesn't make it drastically more popular)
    Well, the reason for the poll is because of just that...free apps get a vastly more downloads than paid apps get. I can't get into specifics with the amount of money based on ad revenue but the fact of the matter is that it will drop as WebOS isn't doing very well in the market place. Advertisers just aren't that interested in the platform as a whole right now because of the domination of iOS and Android. An advertiser will say, "Hey...we want to advertise on Android," and they'll do pretty darn well for their money. It's all about "reach." There aren't that many high face time apps on WebOS that are ad supported. High face time meaning the amount of time a person actually uses the application. The more face time an app has, the better advertising will work. But, if WebOS isn't doing that well in the marketplace, then the advertisers will seek out high face time applications on other platforms. Ad revenue will dry up. In order to supplement that dried up revenue, it might be time to switch over to a paid application in addition to the ad-supported version of the application.

The pricing would be around $1.99 to $4.99. If a significant number of users purchase the application, that would allow us to keep the application on the platform. If it's not making any money, it doesn't make sense to keep it on the platform.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Are you using over wifi? Mob Wars is one of the cheap ads that usually only appears on wifi. Of course, there was a bug in 1.1.1 that up'ed the ad requests from 2 million to 100 million that caused some ad networks to stop serving. They should be coming back online in the next few days with better campaigns. But, each click does count no matter what the ad.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Just saw a 76 gasoline ad. It was pretty slick, apparently using geo-location to locate and present a list of local gas stations. I'll even buy some gas. But I ride a motorcycle so it will only be a few gallons.

C
    I LOVE this app and use it more than any other.

1) As others have said, I'd buy it to support your efforts. The ads do not bother me at all

2) What happens if an ad is "clicked"? Does the station keep playing, etc? If so, I'll start clicking ads like crazy on my long commutes. ha ha (but, seriously..if it only opens another card that I can simply flick away, I'll do it from time to time)
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    I LOVE this app and use it more than any other.

1) As others have said, I'd buy it to support your efforts. The ads do not bother me at all

2) What happens if an ad is "clicked"? Does the station keep playing, etc? If so, I'll start clicking ads like crazy on my long commutes. ha ha (but, seriously..if it only opens another card that I can simply flick away, I'll do it from time to time)
    It's pretty painless, The ad just slides from bottom to top and the stream continues. Ask for anything further and it open a separate card to a web page.

It's the way the game is played, as you know. No "pay for" apps + no advertising = no platform.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast