Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    The beta for Chartographer was release on August 2, 2010. The app currently has the following features:
    - full screen
    - landscape
    - traffic
    - night mode
    - auto night mode
    - satellite/hybrid/terrain maps
    - Follow mode (similar to hitting the blue button on Maps)
    - Find (pinpoint your location)

Some tips:
    I currently do not have icons created for "Follow" and "Find". "Follow" is denoted by the "|" button. The thought is that a line conveys continued following. "Follow" will follow your location until you drag or pan the map. At that point, it will stop following you until you click the "Find" button, or you stop and restart "Follow".

The "Find" button is represented by the "." button. The dot should convey a point, as opposed to a line. The "Find" button will provide a single lock to your location, unless you are currently in follow mode, in which case it will only center the map around your current "Follow" coordinates.

By default, "persistant screen on" is turned off, so that users will not lose more battery than normal. turning that toggle on will keep the screen on as long as the map displayed.
    Last edited by Shawalli; 08/02/2010 at 09:12 PM.
    Nice to see some new map apps. Can't wait for this to show up in the beta feed.
    still not available? Hasn't it been more than two hours?
    It's now available...

I used it this morning while depositing the wife at work. Wonderful effort, can't wait to see what you end up doing with this program.

• Just like BFG this application is blazing fast compared to the standard Google map application.
    • I like the menu system better than BFG as the buttons are much bigger.
    • When tracking the standard Google icon flashes each time the location is updated - I don't care for that personally.
    • Persistent on is wonderful, thank you.
    • Given how much I like the UI you have started creating I would love to see you add in other Google Map features like address search, driving/walking/transit instructions and the layer that shows business names on the map when zooming to the the last few layers.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 08/03/2010 at 09:20 AM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    address search and directions will be included as soon as possible...depending on how easy walking and transit are, they might be added too.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Version 0.0.2 is in the app catalog. This update fixes a slew of minor bugs, as well as slightly decreasing the time it takes for the initial GPS lock.
    Nice list of fixes on this release. Lightning fast. Excellent work.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Shawalli:

This app is a refreshing change from the GMaps app. I am looking forward to your enhancements. Keep up with the simple and clean interface. It looks really good.

Nice work on the fixes. It does pick up fast too. Makes me wonder what the deal is with the GMaps app.

I noticed a few small things with your menu. I am not going to call these bugs, because they really don't hinder the app in anyway, more of a aesthetics thing.

In your menu when switching/toggling the different options, do you intend to have the menu items read the same both ways.

Example:

- When in the landscape orientation, you tap the menu and go to tap... landscape again? Maybe that should be portrait?

- Same goes for night, maybe the inverse should be day

- and full screen to normal or standard screen....

Just some thoughts. Maybe you intended them to be that way, not sure, thought I would point it out anyway.

Another thing with the menu, when in night view, when you pull up the menu, the options are sort of hard to see (especially over a busy map). For example, when pulling up the map submenu, super hard to read the options over the dark map with a lot going on in the background.

I like the transparency of the menu, but maybe a little less of it overall or just in the night view? I like that you have it transparent, etc... just a tad bit hard to see each button when in that night view.

I can see where you'll be able to even expand on this menu as you add more features etc...

Keep up the great work. I am really looking forward to seeing where your development goes with this app.

EDIT: I see your working on improvements for the menu. Didn't see that other thread before my post.
    Last edited by oakridge outdoors; 08/06/2010 at 11:21 AM.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    It's now available...

I used it this morning while depositing the wife at work. Wonderful effort, can't wait to see what you end up doing with this program.

• Just like BFG this application is blazing fast compared to the standard Google map application.
    • I like the menu system better than BFG as the buttons are much bigger.
    • When tracking the standard Google icon flashes each time the location is updated - I don't care for that personally.
    • Persistent on is wonderful, thank you.
    • Given how much I like the UI you have started creating I would love to see you add in other Google Map features like address search, driving/walking/transit instructions and the layer that shows business names on the map when zooming to the the last few layers.
    I second all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawalli View Post
    address search and directions will be included as soon as possible...depending on how easy walking and transit are, they might be added too.
    Looking forward to these features. This app will eventually replace Gmaps for me for sure.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    I like it a lot, it's super fast. I haven't yet had the chance to try "follow" mode but "fixed location" mode is fine.

Couple of (related) points:
    - Tap, hold and drag has no effect. How do you change the viewing area?
    - Two-finger pinch or unpinch has no effect. Are the + and - buttons the only way to zoom?
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewRich View Post
    I like it a lot, it's super fast. I haven't yet had the chance to try "follow" mode but "fixed location" mode is fine.

- Two-finger pinch or unpinch has no effect. Are the + and - buttons the only way to zoom?
    I don't know why dragging doesn't work, it should. I had the same problem when I started developing though. Try opening foursquare or bfgmaps and see if those drag. If they don't you have the same bug that I did. I ultimately fixed it by doctoring it :/ it sucks, but at least maps in general will work again.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewRich View Post
    The pinch/unpinch doesn't zoom in or out for me either. Maybe you don't have that implemented yet or are just using the (+/-) for zooming.

IMHO, adding the two finger pinch zooming would be best, then you could remove the (+/-) buttons to make room for something else. - EDIT: Stupid idea.
    Last edited by oakridge outdoors; 08/06/2010 at 01:00 PM.

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    The main point of this app is to be used while commuting. If I got rid of the zoom in and out buttons, how can you easily zoom with one hand? have you ever tried zooming while driving in the google maps app?

I plan to have pinch to zoom but will keep the zoom buttons as well.
    Sounds logical to me.

The main point of this app is to be used while commuting. If I got rid of the zoom in and out buttons, how can you easily zoom with one hand? have you ever tried zooming while driving in the google maps app?

Sprint|Samsung Epic

Can the law come after me if I say yes?

Yes, having the zoom buttons for use while driving would be beneficial and since that is the main focus of your app, I agree with having them.

My earlier comment was just a thought/suggestion. On rare occasions thoughts ramble out of my head straight to the keyboard without much forethought.

Keep up the great work on the app.

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Haha that's fine, I welcome new ideas and suggestions. I'm sure there are people out there with ideas that I would have never even thought of
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    is this available on preware or market?
    Yes and no. It's on the Palm Beta feed....so just make sure you have that on in Preware or search for it on P|C under Beta Apps.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Love the night mode! The one thing that is really missing from SprintNav, IMO. Looking great and looking forward to future updates!
    Just installed, looks very good to be so early in its development. Night mode, full screen, MPH, awesome. Thanks Shawalli!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast