Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone tried frizzle, the download manager in the app catalog today?
    I don't understand why I would need a download manager for my phone. Do I even have that for my computer?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    I haven't checked it out. A download manager for podcasts could be useful, but Dr.Podder already does a great job of that. I could use an app that can schedule the download of websites locally, it could be useful.
    Isn't there a patch to download files already? My PRE asks me if I want to stream or save a file. I have downloaded ipk files via that several times.
    Multi-mod is the patch that allows you to download files directly from the browser. I used to have it but removed it some time back because it is one of the patches that seems to give me the most difficulty after webOS updates. (What are those, BTW?)

I currently use Filecoaster if Iwant to download a file. You paste the URL and either shake the device or tap button to download. Files go automatically to /downloads/ folder. I have found Filecoaster somewhat unreliable, the downloads frequently seem to hang partway through and not complete.

Like the OP, I am interested in Frizzle. Appears to give you the option of choosing which folder to download to, which is nice. If it works consistently and reliably, then it's well worth the $0.99 in my opinion. Will be watching the catalog for reviews.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I tried it once so far but got an error. I was trying to download a podcast, that Dr Podder doesnt download...probably the same bug. Will have to find another file to download.

here's the log:

Download is about to start. URL: http://traffic.libsyn.com/theadamcar...0.07.29acs.mp3 {"returnValue": true, "ticket": 351, "url": "http://traffic.libsyn.com/theadamcarollashow/2010.07.29acs.mp3", "target": "/media/internal/downloads/2010.07.29acs_1.mp3", "subscribed": true} {"ticket": 351, "url": "http://traffic.libsyn.com/theadamcarollashow/2010.07.29acs.mp3", "sourceUrl": "http://traffic.libsyn.com/theadamcarollashow/2010.07.29acs.mp3", "deviceId": "", "authToken": "", "destTempPrefix": ".", "destFile": "2010.07.29acs_1.mp3", "destPath": "/media/internal/downloads/", "mimetype": "text/html", "amountReceived": 0, "amountTotal": 0, "canHandlePause": false, "completionStatusCode": 302, "interrupted": false, "completed": true, "aborted": false, "target": "/media/internal/downloads/2010.07.29acs_1.mp3"}
    Hi there.

I'm the dev of the app. Perhaps I can bring some light in here. Frizzle aims to be the first download manager for web os in the app catalog. When the update hits next week you will be able to download multible files at the same time and I also plan to shedule downloads when wifi connection is aviable and yeah a lot of more stuff.

If you guys are interested I will add Frizzle to the Homebrew Section for free. Last time I deved preGym aka intervalGym with the help of the community and it was great. With most people in the app catalog it's a bit of frustrating. They expect things a download manger on pc can't do. For example automatic downloading of a megashare upload without an account.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick99 View Post
    I tried it once so far but got an error. I was trying to download a podcast, that Dr Podder doesnt download...probably the same bug. Will have to find another file to download.
    Hey patrick. You already wrote me. Have you recieved my response? I can't figure out how to download the file that isn't working for you. Even on my desktop the link isn't working.
    Quote Originally Posted by JuJulian1987 View Post
    Hi there.

I'm the dev of the app. Perhaps I can bring some light in here. Frizzle aims to be the first download manager for web os in the app catalog. When the update hits next week you will be able to download multible files at the same time and I also plan to shedule downloads when wifi connection is aviable and yeah a lot of more stuff.

If you guys are interested I will add Frizzle to the Homebrew Section for free. Last time I deved preGym aka intervalGym with the help of the community and it was great. With most people in the app catalog it's a bit of frustrating. They expect things a download manger on pc can't do. For example automatic downloading of a megashare upload without an account.

Hey patrick. You already wrote me. Have you recieved my response? I can't figure out how to download the file that isn't working for you. Even on my desktop the link isn't working.
    So you are saying your app 'Frizzle' will do more of what drpodder already does?

And no I'm not trying to be flip with you.

I'm trying to understand what this app is all about, in what ways is it different from drpodder, which can do all of what you just listed.

I guess I need a better explaination.

And yes, I would love to look at the app in Homebrew. There can never be too many downloading type of apps. drnull the developer of drpodder always knew there would be other apps like his and he welcomes them. I'm saying this because I sort of realize that my comments might be sounding flip (I'm repeating myself I'm sorry). Its just if you do develop something similar I would love for you to, what's the expression, 'think outside the box' and bring out something that is truly novel in it's approach.

And I love the name 'Frizzle', I think that's a great name. Not sure what the meaning is, but I love it anyway!

Rob

UPDATE: I just purchased it because I want to support your efforts. I will take a look it as soon as I can!
    Last edited by rlanza1054; 07/30/2010 at 04:07 PM.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Well it's a bit late here in germany. So I hope I can write what I want to say clearly. I think Dr. Podder is designed to download mp3 and video files as it's main function. Mine is not. I want to create an app with which you can download any file, store it where you want on your device without to much problems. That's is something that is missing in the App Store in my opinion.

Perhaps it's a good time to make up a feature list (doesn't need to be possible just what would be cool):
    - sheduling of downloads (download only when wifi is enabled, download at 8 a clock and so on...)
    - history of downloaded files
    - downloading of url's that requiere auth. via I call it 'browser mode' (yet I don't know if this is possible. I made some experiments today with webview)
    - reading text files with url content and download them in a batch
    - overview over active downloads (will come with next update)

I'll update this list in a different topic. I think tomorrow is a good day for a homebrew release. Suggestions and critics are always welcome.

Rob thank you for your support! I hope I won't disappoint you. And no you don't sound that flip.

Why the name Frizzle? It just sounds like and app that will download no matter what !
    The Palm Pre, by default without patches, can download files directly from the Web app. I've downloaded .zip files before to my USB partition.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  11.    #11  
    I am looking forward to trying the homebrew app. I suggest looking into the default app api that webos internals or canuck software (i forget which) is working on. If frizzle could be made into a default app for browser downloads, that would be a great feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    The Palm Pre, by default without patches, can download files directly from the Web app. I've downloaded .zip files before to my USB partition.
    Not true. For example try to download the index.php from that url: :Julians HP: won't work with the browser. Filecoster is and will stay an homebrew app so no fun for the app catalog only users. Also the browser doesn't give me that much information (speed, total file size for e.g.) and doesn't give me the option to save the file where I want. For example download pictures that you don't want to see in the image viewer just create an directory with a dot starting and it's hidden. Actually the project Frizzle started for my self. I use it almost every day. I haven't found an app that gives me all these features even so they are that simple.

I'm going to bed now. See you in a few hours. gn
    Well it's a bit late here in germany. So I hope I can write what I want to say clearly. I think Dr. Podder is designed to download mp3 and video files as it's main function. Mine is not. I want to create an app with which you can download any file, store it where you want on your device without to much problems. That's is something that is missing in the App Store in my opinion.

Perhaps it's a good time to make up a feature list (doesn't need to be possible just what would be cool):
    - sheduling of downloads (download only when wifi is enabled, download at 8 a clock and so on...)
    - history of downloaded files
    - downloading of url's that requiere auth. via I call it 'browser mode' (yet I don't know if this is possible. I made some experiments today with webview)
    - reading text files with url content and download them in a batch
    - overview over active downloads (will come with next update)

I'll update this list in a different topic. I think tomorrow is a good day for a homebrew release. Suggestions and critics are always welcome.

Rob thank you for your support! I hope I won't disappoint you. And no you don't sound that flip.

Why the name Frizzle? It just sounds like and app that will download no matter what !
    I still haven't tried Frizzle even after downloading it, had to take the dog out!

But your new explaination is much better and it makes sense now. It's has nothing to do with drpodder and no there doesn't seem to be anything Frizzle out there.

There is one potential problem, if we can download ANY file to ANY location and the file being download is 'malware' then there could be issues.

However, so far, Palm has allowed this into the Catalog, so if they don't see a potential security risk, then I guess there might not be one.

And this will allow people to install Preware (the newer version) on their phone bypassing WebOS Quick Install (which is presently required).

I'll try and test it out soon and give you my comments then.

Rob

PS There are people here that go on the attack if things are not asked the right way. So I just wanted to be sure you knew I was not in attack mode.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    I still haven't tried Frizzle even after downloading it, had to take the dog out!

But your new explaination is much better and it makes sense now. It's has nothing to do with drpodder and no there doesn't seem to be anything Frizzle out there.

There is one potential problem, if we can download ANY file to ANY location and the file being download is 'malware' then there could be issues.

However, so far, Palm has allowed this into the Catalog, so if they don't see a potential security risk, then I guess there might not be one.

And this will allow people to install Preware (the newer version) on their phone bypassing WebOS Quick Install (which is presently required).

I'll try and test it out soon and give you my comments then.

Rob

PS There are people here that go on the attack if things are not asked the right way. So I just wanted to be sure you knew I was not in attack mode.
    Malware for the Pre? Well... malware for Linux is pretty much unheard of... but for the Pre?

Also... the explanation he posted is a planned list of features... not features that are currently present.

It also wont allow them to install Preware on their phone unless they already have access to the command line on their phone... which I am fairly certain if they dont have preware already then they arent going to have terminus or terminal... you can download other ipk BECAUSE of the new version of Preware. There are three methods to install Preware, only one of them requires webOS Quick Install....
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    Malware for the Pre? Well... malware for Linux is pretty much unheard of... but for the Pre?

Also... the explanation he posted is a planned list of features... not features that are currently present.
    Actually the Pre isn't the scurity itself. Malware will come when WebOS get's more popular.

I already have a version here with multible downloads at the same time. Sheduling is also not a big deal since I have already coded similar apps with timing. Let's see what the future brings. I hope I can dev something good.

Well installing Preware via cloud. No I don't think that is possible right now. But if those guys over at webos internals find an exploit, well perhaps it might get possible soon.
    Well installing Preware via cloud. No I don't think that is possible right now. But if those guys over at webos internals find an exploit, well perhaps it might get possible soon.
    Sure it is. Visit
    Index of /feeds/webos-internals/armv7/ (For the Pre version)
    Tap on the version of Preware you want, which will be placed in the /media/internal/download directory, then install using Internalz
    Last edited by NachoB; 08/03/2010 at 06:09 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Sure it is. Visit
    Index of /feeds/webos-internals/armv7/ (For the Pre version)
    Tap on the version of Preware you want, which will be placed in the /media/internal/download directory, then install using Internalz
    Well and Internalz is installed by default? You need Preware first to install Internalz. That's like asking what was first the Egg or the Animal. Well today we know its the animal. And well Preware was first .
    Not true, I can install Internalz and FileMgr via WebOS Quick Install.

Actually I mistated myself about the install (somewhat). If you don't have Multi Mod installed, clicking the Preware ipk will automatically launch Internalz and prompt to install.
    Last edited by NachoB; 08/03/2010 at 06:10 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Not true, I can install Internalz and FileMgr via WebOS Quick Install.
    Okay first you need WebOS Quick Install to install Preware or doing a direct install of Internalz but I don't know what we are talking about. You need a PC to install Homebrew there is no way to install homebrew over the cloud if you havnt already installed preware or something similar. Am I right?
    Only other things that should also be installed (via WOSQI as well) are Lsdiff, Diffstat, and GNU Patch, and Internalz can do it's thing.
    Last edited by NachoB; 08/03/2010 at 06:10 AM.

Palm Pre wallpapers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast