Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    While I see both sides here I am gonna go with those that say palm should pull it. An order for an app to be an official app it should do something. This is a waste of app space in the official catalog. What happen to the I'm Rich app that I beleive were in the beta catalog? I think this app has a place in the beta catalog but not the official catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    the app should stand....its not a scam....it a joke there is no reason to "protect" a person from buying this app....who am I to judge why someone wants to buy an app that does nothing people can do what they want with their money...
    if one could get a refund, I might see this differently. This is another reason that palm needs to adopt the 24 hour trial for every app in the catalog...
    there is no outrage @ apps that simulate bodily function sounds, 'guides' that are nothing more than collections of other people's work, or ebooks that public domain. Why be upset about an app that does exactly what it says it does? Just because the developers are charging $100 doesn't make it any worse than a useless app that goes for $0.99.
    I doubt talking to palm would get them to remove it, Palm (Chuq of dev rel.) has a very laid back approch to such issues
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgnos View Post
    there is no outrage @ apps that simulate bodily function sounds, 'guides' that are nothing more than collections of other people's work, or ebooks that public domain. Why be upset about an app that does exactly what it says it does? Just because the developers are charging $100 doesn't make it any worse than a useless app that goes for $0.99.
    wuh? There is LOTS of outrage over those things. There is even a patch to help reduce the obnoxious spam apps for which have so many of us outraged...
    Some people buy this app just because they have the money . lol, dummies if you ask me .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraMav View Post
    How do you accidentally purchase an app?
    Here is how you accidentally purchase this app:

It's listed at $100, and you just being a bit curious and think it's funny, decide to purchase it because you miss the period not being between the 1 and zeros.

So you think it's only a buck, a $1.00.

Not many people think a $1.00 is anything to worry about.

So not being careful you miss the missing . that is supposed to be there.

Remember a lot of apps are a $1.00

You go along with the stupid gag, and you are now gagging when you get your credit card statement and see a charge for $100.

Now do you see why it can end up being an accident!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgnos View Post
    I hope when you say $100 you did not really mean $1, it's ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS NOT ONE DOLLAR!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    if one could get a refund, I might see this differently. This is another reason that palm needs to adopt the 24 hour trial for every app in the catalog...
    NO REFUNDS FROM PALM!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    This should be on the front page of Precentral. It could also be a way to get more publicity for webos apps, remember what the "I'm Rich" app did for apple.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    As far as I can tell the app does not break any policies or guidelines that have been set in place for app development.
    Just discovered that there is not real support page or developer page.

So there is no way to contact the developer to complain.

And if Palm thinks selling an app for ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS that does nothing is not a scam, then I need to re-think Palm.

This may not break any technical rules, but who is going to take the fall for this hurting some unsophisticated user, PALM will take the fall for this.

Do we really need Palm's image getting hurt over something like this?

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    why remove it? If someone is dumb enough to buy this then they deserve to get taken.
    So it's worth Palm's image getting hurt in the process for the dumb person, that's real dumb in itself!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    JAnd if Palm thinks selling an app for ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS that does nothing is not a scam, then I need to re-think Palm.
    I mean no offense by this, but it's not that you need to re-think palm. It's that you need to buy a dictionary and look up the definition of 'scam.'

Is this app a waste of space? Yup.

Is this app completely and totally useless? Yup.

Should palm pull this app and hundreds of others for being nothing more than pointless app-spam? Debatable, but I think they should.

Is there any aspect of this app that is in any way dishonest on any level, or in any way a scam? Nope. Nothing.

The app is called "This App Does Nothing!" If you buy it anyway, only to discover that it does EXACTLY what it claimed to do, "nothing," you haven't been scammed. Nobody tricked you, and you have no right to be angry that it won't build you an island and then transform your phone into a jet and fly you there.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Here is how you accidentally purchase this app:

It's listed at $100, and you just being a bit curious and think it's funny, decide to purchase it because you miss the period not being between the 1 and zeros.

So you think it's only a buck, a $1.00.

Not many people think a $1.00 is anything to worry about.

So not being careful you miss the missing . that is supposed to be there.

Remember a lot of apps are a $1.00

You go along with the stupid gag, and you are now gagging when you get your credit card statement and see a charge for $100.

Now do you see why it can end up being an accident!

Rob
    I just looked at the app and it clearly says $100.00 for price. When you click it the listing even says "Special end-of-summer unsale! Buy now while its more expensive."

And again on the download button it says "Download for $100.00"

Im sorry but I dont see how that is a scam. Sure the app is probably crap and does nothing. They admit that. But as far as I can see the price is stated very clearly as $100.00 in more than one place.

Melissa
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    As far as I can tell the app does not break any policies or guidelines that have been set in place for app development.
    Actually it does. Here are the Application Content Criteria guidelines for app submissions on Palm's developer website: Application Content Criteria €“ Palm Developer Center

In Section 2 under "Rules of Good Behavior", the first item states:

The application provides value to the user.
    The app description itself indicates that the app does nothing. An app that does nothing surely does not provide any value for the user. So obviously the reviewers don't adhere to all the guidelines documented on the Palm developer site.

I think one of two actions should be taken:

1) Remove the app since it doesn't adhere to the guideline I quoted above.
    2) Edit the Palm developer site to remove this guideline.

Personally, I prefer option #1 because I think the guideline is sound and should be followed.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    I mean no offense by this, but it's not that you need to re-think palm. It's that you need to buy a dictionary and look up the definition of 'scam.'

Is this app a waste of space? Yup.

Is this app completely and totally useless? Yup.

Should palm pull this app and hundreds of others for being nothing more than pointless app-spam? Debatable, but I think they should.

Is there any aspect of this app that is in any way dishonest on any level, or in any way a scam? Nope. Nothing.

The app is called "This App Does Nothing!" If you buy it anyway, only to discover that it does EXACTLY what it claimed to do, "nothing," you haven't been scammed. Nobody tricked you, and you have no right to be angry that it won't build you an island and then transform your phone into a jet and fly you there.
    Yeah there is one thing that is dishonest:

There is no real link to contact the developer or contact support.

It just goes to a webpage that has nothing but the name of the app and no real way to contact the developer.

So in my opinion, that is very dishonest!

Should Palm pull the app, NO, I've changed my mind on that. I don't think I've ever asked for it to be pulled. I just sent out a warning to all users.

But what Palm should do is make it impossible to purchase the app, or at least make sure that no one is actually charged ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS for an app that does nothing.

With ARES (did I spell that correctly), we probably will see a lot of stuff like this.

And if this is considered OK by Palm and everyone, I think I will make an app that does nothing but ask people to purchase to help me pay for my medical insurance, since I'm on disability and can't afford to pay my medical insurance which I need so I can get the drugs to keep me alive.

So maybe I should do this as well, except this is for a cause!

Would that be OK with everyone?

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

17.    #37  
    What dictionaries say about scam:

1. A ploy by a shyster to raise money.

2., A fraudulent business scheme. To scam means to victimize: deprive of by deceit; "He swindled me out of my inheritance"; "She defrauded the customers who trusted her"; "the cashier gypped me when he gave me too little change"

3. A confidence trick, confidence game, or con for short (also known as a scam) is an attempt to intentionally mislead a person or persons (known as the mark) usually with the goal of financial or other gain. The confidence trickster, con man, scam artist or con artist often works with an accomplice called the shill, who tries to encourage the mark by pretending to believe the trickster.

Yeah, I did look it up in the dictionary, and yes it's a SCAM!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Actually it does. Here are the Application Content Criteria guidelines for app submissions on Palm's developer website: Application Content Criteria €“ Palm Developer Center
    Ah ha!

Well with that tid-bit, I think Palm can and should go ahead and pull the App... I was unaware that there was a rule like that already in place.

I still maintain that if there wasn't a rule in place that covered that, then the App should not be pulled. I would have hated to see censorship outside of the already established and agreed upon rules.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Actually it does. Here are the Application Content Criteria guidelines for app submissions on Palm's developer website: Application Content Criteria – Palm Developer Center

In Section 2 under "Rules of Good Behavior", the first item states:

The app description itself indicates that the app does nothing. An app that does nothing surely does not provide any value for the user. So obviously the reviewers don't adhere to all the guidelines documented on the Palm developer site.

I think one of two actions should be taken:

1) Remove the app since it doesn't adhere to the guideline I quoted above.
    2) Edit the Palm developer site to remove this guideline.

Personally, I prefer option #1 because I think the guideline is sound and should be followed.
    Dan,

I'm sorry I missed your link!

Than you so much!

So if I read it correctly, this app should not have ever made it into Palm's App Catalog!

Here are the rules from your link and I will highlight what the developer violated:

• The submitted Support details are accurate and will be kept updated for the duration that the application is distributed in the Palm App Catalog.
    • All provided web links for the app description are accurate and will be maintained while the application is distributed in the Palm App Catalog.

Rules

I certify that the following statements are true about the application being submitted:

Section 2: Other

• The application provides value to the user.

So it violates the 'terms of service' rules!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

lol he got 22 downloads, scammer, but smart?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast