Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    I've checked through both the official app catalog and the homebrew apps on Preware and I'm really surprised there are no decent weather apps for WebOS. We need something that can give detailed information about current conditions, full text of weather alerts, watches and warnings, and a radar that pinpoints our current location then overlays the radar and warning boxes over top of that. I believe Weatherbug provides that type of app for Android and the iPhone but I can't find anything close to it for WebOS.

Anyone know of anything or know of anything coming? And for the record, I would gladly pay $5 or more for such an app.
    I use and like the AccuWeather app. The radar shows where you are on the map with an 'x'... the only thing I wish they would change is that the weather alert dialog is way too basic. If there is an alert, I use the Weather Channel app to read up. So far, no perfect app, but those two working together do quite well for me.
    Ya know... thats true... Ive seen other apps that are much more in depth for weather... but to tell the truth, it has no real value for me. I dont track the weather that closely. I geocache, camp, trace (parkour), freeclimb and such, but even then... when I am engaged in those activities I still dont feel a need to watch weather that closely. I do keep weather window and allow it to change my background, so I always know what the current temperature is and what the basic conditions are outside... but no gps tracking of cells or some such. if you need something that up to minute, for the time being you could use your phone to visit weather websites and watch the radar there, and you should already know about where you are on the map right?
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Well I live in the Midwest and lately we've gotten a lot of severe weather. My brother and I like to track the storms and chase the big ones that look like they could be tornadic. And it's kind of embarrassing because he pulls up an app on his Android phone (I think the app is Weatherbug) that looks similar to a Google map but it's overlaid with this current position, the local radar for that area plus any severe weather. when I compare that to Accuweather it makes Accuweather look like a joke. For the record, Accuweather's full site is very good so I think they could do it but for whatever reason they don't.
    WxRad (homebrew) is pretty good if radar images are all you're interested in....
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    WxRad (homebrew) is pretty good if radar images are all you're interested in....
    I like WxRad, but does anyone else find it somewhat buggy?

I've been using it pretty often, as I live in the midwest, and we've had quite a lot of severe weather so far this summer.
    I like to keep an eye on lines of storms as they approach our county.

Whenever I load it, it shows the "throbber" (spinning 'loading' circle) for 10-90 seconds (or more), then it might show animated radar images.

Of course, i tested it as I was typing this post, and it worked correctly and quickly.

It just doesn't seem to work correctly as often as it should.
    Quote Originally Posted by strudel.chris View Post
    I like WxRad, but does anyone else find it somewhat buggy?

I've been using it pretty often, as I live in the midwest, and we've had quite a lot of severe weather so far this summer.
    I like to keep an eye on lines of storms as they approach our county.

Whenever I load it, it shows the "throbber" (spinning 'loading' circle) for 10-90 seconds (or more), then it might show animated radar images.

Of course, i tested it as I was typing this post, and it worked correctly and quickly.

It just doesn't seem to work correctly as often as it should.
    Agreed, sometimes it takes quite a while to display or refresh. Don't know if it has something to do with the signal quality or how busy the servers it pulls from. Haven't been able to discern any particular pattern, other than if I am only in 1x coverage it definitely takes a long, LONG time to come up.

Still like the app and use it fairly often.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Have you looked at the Weather Channel app? It has forecasts, radar and storm warnings. If you're looking at tropicals and hurricanes, TrackIt isn't bad.

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton