Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Hey Everyone,

I realize this has been addressed in a few threads before (including Dieter's nice writeup awhile back about Outline Tracker and Basecamp), but I'm curious what the Tasks "Power Users" are doing to keep track of their lives on a day to day basis? I'm a chronically forgettable person, but am recently taking a promotion to where I really need to get my life a little better organized to keep track of things. Here's my wishlist of things - what are the best apps to meet my needs?

-Two-way syncying with WebOS and some desktop client... ideally Outlook since I spend much of my day staring at it, but could live with another solution.
    -Use of WebOS notification area with custom pop-up reminders
    -Population of calender (preferably Outlook) with events
    -Multi-level task tracking
    I am using Outlook appointments as tasks. They have basically the same options as tasks. It is a pretty nice workaround until there is a viable option for tasks.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I'm not sure that there is a perfect solution out there yet and one of the biggest stumbling blocks is that Google hasn't opened up the Tasks API yet.

I'm using Outline Tracker for project work and To Do Classic for the more mundane things, but everything is done on my pre.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    I am using Outlook appointments as tasks. They have basically the same options as tasks. It is a pretty nice workaround until there is a viable option for tasks.
    Yeah I am basically living like that now, but finding it difficult to keep track of things. I REALLY like being able to set a reminder to a specific e-mail, but that unfortunately does not sync to the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidal View Post
    -Two-way syncying with WebOS and some desktop client... ideally Outlook since I spend much of my day staring at it, but could live with another solution.
    -Use of WebOS notification area with custom pop-up reminders
    -Population of calender (preferably Outlook) with events
    -Multi-level task tracking
    There's no HotSync infrastructure for webOS, so apps which sync to a desktop computer rather than the cloud have do that heavy lifting themselves. If that's your main criterion, Missing Sync for Palm Pre/Fliq Tasks is the best, I think. Otherwise, it's fairly simple, and may not be adequate for power users.

Other task list managers typically sync with a cloud server, which you can also access from a desktop computer, typically using a web browser.

What distinguishes my Outline Tracker from other task list managers is the focus on keeping tasks off your to-do list until you can actually work on them. A task won't appear in the To-Do scene until all its prerequisites are complete. If someone else is responsible for a task, it appears in the Waiting scene, not the To-Do scene. If you can't work on a task now, but will at some known future date, set the Lead Time, and the task won't appear until the Lead Time starts. You can put a task "on hold" indefinitely by changing it to a Note. The To-Do scene is also filtered by "Place" -- at work you won't see the tasks you need to do at home or while running errands, and vice versa.

For meetings, it's useful to switch to the Waiting scene for meetings -- you can see at a glance who should be working on what. The To-Do & Waiting scene is also useful, to see currently actionable tasks for everone on a project.

Uncompleted tasks with a due date appear in the webOS Calendar on that date, and you can set Calendar reminders as well.

Outline Tracker Free has all the functionality of Outline Tracker, but is limited to 50 items, which should let you get a feel for it.

You might also consider getting a Touchstone for work -- you can leave the webOS Calendar open, and have more space available on your desktop computer display.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Thanks Doug, that is a helpful explanation of Outline Tracker. I will definitely be checking it out.

I am not really interested in a desktop sync - perfectly happy with the Cloud. However, since I primarily operate at work using MS Outlook, I would prefer a tasks application that syncs with Exchange. The stock WebOS tasks app does this (albeit in a very bare bones way), but there is zero integration with either the calender or with WebOS notifications. This basically makes it worthless to me since I have to physically open the app to remind myself what I'm supposed to be doing. GeoStrings is nice for position based tasks, but not necessarily stationary tasks.

I don't anticipate needing a program that has collaboration options, but it may be helpful.
    I'm using Done! with Toodledo. I think it's a workable cloud sync solution. RememberTheMilk is also usable, but the Pre app is not as advanced.