Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have noticed that there are quite a few medical professionals that participate on the forums here (nurses, med students, physicians, etc).

With the increasing number of medical apps becoming available for webOS (most recently Eponyms thanks to the great work of PalmDoc!), it occured to me that it would be nice if there was a sub-forum here on precentral.net for medical apps and related discussion.

I wanted to post this to see if there is any interest out there in such an idea. If you are a medical professional and would be interested in having such a forum, please reply on this thread!

Thanks so much,

Jim in OKC
    (respiratory therapist @ OU Med Center)
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    great idea because the palm os was one of the main reasons why so many of us remained loyal and stuck with webos
    Oh dear god no! This place is my escape away from doctors. My wife is chief attending on 2 services this week and her pager(s) will not let either of us get any sleep.

Kidding aside I see what your saying. Personally I would lean toward starting an of-topic thread for medical commiseration and perhaps app specific threads for the rest?
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  4.    #4  
    Participation would not be mandatory.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Oh dear god no! This place is my escape away from doctors. My wife is chief attending on 2 services this week and her pager(s) will not let either of us get any sleep.

Kidding aside I see what your saying. Personally I would lean toward starting an of-topic thread for medical commiseration and perhaps app specific threads for the rest?
    Hmm... my question would be: what phone does she use? LOL

I think a dedicated Medical forum would be a good idea if there are lots of medical people who would use it. If it looked like it had tumbleweeds rolling through it because of low activity it would be more of a turn off to those professionals though. Double-edged sword... /2cents
    second op's suggestion. N nominate none other then our palmdoc to b the mod of tht sub forum!
    I know complex pants is one, and i think windzilla is too.

Try PM'ing them.
    Maybe that'll start the ball rolling.
    I am all for this.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Count me in. Can't wait for more medical apps
    Me, too.

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
    I'm not a doctor, (but I play.... :P ) I am in the Healthcare IT industry. Actually starting next week I will have an active role at NJHITEC(New Jersey Healthcare Information Technology Extension Center). Part of the new Regional Extension Center program the government started, so I'm also interested in this.
    I think if volume is appropriate then a sub forum could work. There aren't alot of medical-specific threads right now, maybe that would hange if a specific subforum was created.

i , personally think webos has some unique abilities that make it especially well suited to medicine, jopefully hp will capitalize on there strong medical tech, and push webos further into healthcare. Certainly a sub forum would be appropriate if that were the case.
    There are four lights.
    +1000 for the suggestion
    Perhaps there could be a section for profession-centric interests: medical, engineering, aviation, etc?
    What held back PalmOS medical users from migrating to other platforms was in part the applications. I think we need to rally WebOS medical users together
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I'm in. These days have less need for clinical apps as I do more administration, but those of us that have been using Palms for many years have found them incredibly useful. If someone can develop an app that educates department chairs about the appropriate use of RVU's, you'd have a real winner.
    I think ComplexPants is both very busy in his 3rd year medschool, and has gone to the evo for now, partly due to concerns about medical apps and support. I think he hopes to be back one day, but I haven't pm'd him in a while.
    There are four lights.
  16.    #16  
    Well I sent him a PM. If he visits the forums, however infrequently, he should see it.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    I think ComplexPants is both very busy in his 3rd year medschool, and has gone to the evo for now, partly due to concerns about medical apps and support. I think he hopes to be back one day, but I haven't pm'd him in a while.
    SHABAM!!

Yes, I am very busy in 3rd year I am on my surgery rotation and I have no time. I do have an Evo, but I still have my Pre. Honestly, I have seen a ton of Pre's (mostly sprint too) at my hospital. I know of at least 5 different MD's that have one. I have actually seen more Pre's than I have seen iPhone come to think of it.

However, the one phone I see the most in the hospital is the original Droid.

I will try to stop on by every once and a while. Cheers!
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    I think if volume is appropriate then a sub forum could work. There aren't alot of medical-specific threads right now, maybe that would hange if a specific subforum was created.

i , personally think webos has some unique abilities that make it especially well suited to medicine, jopefully hp will capitalize on there strong medical tech, and push webos further into healthcare. Certainly a sub forum would be appropriate if that were the case.
    WebOS tablet running and EMR application would be all sorts of epic (pun intended, you medical people should get it ).
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    WebOS tablet running and EMR application would be all sorts of epic (pun intended, you medical people should get it ).

We're rolling out Epic now. Painful would be the nice way of describing the process. Our hospital is totally wired with Sprint, even down in the basements. ATT has pretty marginal reception everywhere, so there are quite a few Pre's in use. Several of us were waiting expectantly for the first major OS update that allowed Exchange security features.
    I would love a fully-functioning (and free) version of Epocrates like I had on my Centro - complete with add-ons such as DSM. When are they going to get past beta??

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast