Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I'm a student in Chiropratic school and would be interested in something like this. It seems like it would be a good way to pick up bits of knowledge from people in other health fields. Or atleast figure out what tools there are out there that I might benefit from.
    I just want to point this out, since I have started in the hospital one month ago, I have seen more Pre's and Pre Plus's than I have in over a year of having my Pre. I think that is a good sign. However, the most common phone I have seen on the hips of physicians has been android. Oddly enough, i have seen very few iPhones or blackberry's.

If H/Palm wants to really succeed in this market, they need to get in touch with all of the EMR companies (GE would be the first person I talk to) and get custom, WebOS based software to allow medical personal to access Epic, Centricity, etc on their WebOS smartphone or, eventually tablet. I think this is part of the next evolution of digital medical records is using mobile devices, rather than just a computer on the wall.

Both WebOS and Android are very open platforms and it would be my bet that one of the two is going to be the target platform for EMR. If H/Palm is smart, they should get in on this market fast and be the dominant player from the beginning.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  3.    #43  
    Thenks to the gracious folks ar P|C our forum is here!

I would like at least one additional forum moderator. Any volunteers?

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I practice in a hospital that's absolutely dominated by the iPhone, from attendings to students to nurses.

I would say to HP-Palm that the medical field is DYING for a good tablet/slate device. This device NEEDS to be a) highly portable, b) highly viewable, c) great batter life (talking 12+ hours). Our Appleheads have been turning heads with the iPad that by using a virtual desktop and accessing the online EMR for our hospital.

I'm in a large academic medical center and without a doubt, slate devices are going to be HUGE in medicine. Due to Apple penetration here, that most likely is going to be the iPad, and it's probably going to happen sooner as opposed to later unless there is a viable competitor.
    I didn't realize that the ipad had a virtual desktop app.

Beyond longer battery life I think that exchangable batteries will play larger role. Also a native app would be a lot better than using a virtual desktop imo. I am not sure a lot of companies would want to deal with Apple's app store. I think WebOS and android will fare a lot better with EMR companies because they allow side loading.
    Great job with getting so much interest in a medical forum!

*Reminder to all... as always, if anyone sees an inappropriate post (spam, attack, abusive, off-topic, etc) please hit the "Report" button to alert the Mods. We're excited to see this forum grow and hear about the webOS experience and foothold in the medical fields (hopefully we will see that foothold grow and grow).
    What virtual desktop app is this - logmein?
    at work as I did with a series of PDA devices (mostly HP) before
    I particularly like showing drug side effects & interactions to patients who appreciate seeing these in print
    I note that my Pre Epocrates updates its databases far less frequently than when I used this program on my PDA
    could be that Epocrates is updating less often now, but I wonder if they are not supporting the Pre as fully
    all the same I love the program on the Pre
    it is my most used application
    Quote Originally Posted by Artichoke View Post
    at work as I did with a series of PDA devices (mostly HP) before
    I particularly like showing drug side effects & interactions to patients who appreciate seeing these in print
    I note that my Pre Epocrates updates its databases far less frequently than when I used this program on my PDA
    could be that Epocrates is updating less often now, but I wonder if they are not supporting the Pre as fully
    all the same I love the program on the Pre
    it is my most used application
    The Epocrates app for the Pre is only a beta app. They say they're not updating it - and I believe them - but I think I got an update (1) not long ago. They're not supporting WebOS like they did PalmOS. I asked them about it a while back and got some song-and-dance about oh, we're working on it, blahblahblah, but come on, the Pre's been out a year? We need to go to them and let them know we want the full version (see my other thread about being noisy).

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
  10.    #50  
    Anyone heard anything on a full (non-beta) version of ePocrates for webOS?
    I am pretty sure they are working on something but their lips are sealed.
    they just released an update a few weeks ago.

we just need to keep reminding them that we exist...
    FYI, I've been trying out Lexicomp recently and they seem to update their pharm databases almost every other day! Of course, its not free...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    Of course, its not free...
    Or even cheap...
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Lexi-Comp is awesome. For my line of work, it is the best, but it can be information overload.

Not sure what the virtual desktop app is for the iPad, but they're definitely looking at Windows or Mac desktops and logging into our EMR that way.
    Could also be the Citrix thingy that the iPad is capable of.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisys Mom View Post
    The Epocrates app for the Pre is only a beta app. They say they're not updating it - and I believe them - but I think I got an update (1) not long ago. They're not supporting WebOS like they did PalmOS. I asked them about it a while back and got some song-and-dance about oh, we're working on it, blahblahblah, but come on, the Pre's been out a year? We need to go to them and let them know we want the full version (see my other thread about being noisy).
    The Android version isn't out of a beta yet either, and android has a lot more draw atm than WebOS. Give it time. Also, when WebOS 2.0 hits, things might change a bit.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    don't worry about ipad penetration. They do 1 thing @ a time. Wait till we have the HP Hurricsne, we have emr open in 1 card, pull up website with patient Ed in another card (which should print well wireless, cuz it is HP) and the unobtrusive notifications when your student/resident/underling messages you. Nice to find this thread.

BTW get PalmDoc's DateCalc app if you do any surgery or fracture care. You can put in any date (default is today) and add X days or weeks. Great to quickly add 90 days to figure out global window for post-op or fracture care
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Epic has the 1st step in this, an iPhone app for MyChart, which is an interface for patients to check their labs, request refills/appts, or email their doc. It's a start.

Since it is out for iPhone, I would think that they would be able to port it to WebOS pretty easily.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123