Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Participation would not be mandatory.

Well, it would be for one seriously over-worked moderator.

I also really like the idea, but it would have to be VERY carefully moderated to stay on topic, as too much roaming off topic could be dangerous (literally) and maybe even create some serious liability for the forum.
    If Palm puts out a new device before I finish medical school, I'd love to see a dedicated forum. I am starting to get fairly irritated by the lack of WiFi on my Pixi being in a hospital or classroom all day...
    I would definitely welcome a medical sub-forum! Interestingy enough, I started with a Palm III during my residency & still continue to use Palm products @ work! Went from Palm PDA, Handspring PDAs, then Treo & Centro, now Pre Plus!
    Count me in.
    Been using palms in med school on through residency, fellowship, and now as an attending.

started with the IIIxe.

heck, everyone used to say, is that a palm, or is that a treo? Palm and treo were the kleenex of their time.

now, when I take out my pre plus, people say is that your blackberry or iphone?

times have changed.

but webOS has so much potential in the medical field.

epocrates was a great step, and the work palmdoc has done has been outstanding. Uptodate works really well in the web browser. I don't use classic much anymore, but still have abg and ekg apps, just for the sake of it, also the washington manual.

I hope more medical apps like calculators, ICD codes, RVU calculators, and ebook readers with medical ebooks come out soon.
    I'm in. 4th year medical student here. I don't think a medical forum would have many problems with staying on task. And in regards to liability, whatever happens in the hospital stays in the hospital.

Would like to see more medical apps for this thing. Can't wait for the next iteration of the device too, hopefully with better battery life.

Complex Pants, This was totally my surgery experience. haha
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    I'm in. 4th year medical student here. I don't think a medical forum would have many problems with staying on task. And in regards to liability, whatever happens in the hospital stays in the hospital.

Would like to see more medical apps for this thing. Can't wait for the next iteration of the device too, hopefully with better battery life.

Complex Pants, This was totally my surgery experience. haha
    Yes, there were many laughs had about that at the end of second year. Actually, I love my surgery team so far and I haven't been pimped that much. 3 weeks into my rotation, if a general surgeon asked me what could make someone sick I would definitely start thinking about things in the belly.

And yes, what happens in the hospital stays in the hospital, no one go and violate HIPAA.

Here is a great blog for all of you clinicians, hospitalists and med students: Doctor Grumpy in the House
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    I hope iSilo for WebOS will be released soon - that would benefit a lot of us who already have references in that format. In the meantime, it's really quite easy to create your own ebook in WebOS - basically just plugging in html code!
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    IFr it, I am EMT/Fire and my wife is an ED Charge RN.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Ahem, shameless plug coming up. In case anyone hasn't seen this page, here are the medical webos apps from palmdoc.net:

WebOS Apps from Palmdoc.net
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I will never take medical advice from an app or forum...
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by gangland View Post
    I appreciate your concern. If any such forum were to be added to PreCentral, this most definitely would NOT be the purpose or topic. I am also not especially in "consumer" related apps (i.e., trach your blood pressure, cholesterol, lose weight, etc.).

I envision it as a forum where medical professionals could share info about medical related apps for webOS. There a great deal of healthcare related apps aimed at the medical professional for a variety of handheld platforms. Most notably, the old Palm OS (from which many of us came) was replete with these sort of apps. Thanks to the efforts of developers like PalmDoc, many of these could be ported to webOS. (True, the old Palm OS apps will run under Classic, but as anyone who has used Classic a great deal could attest it is a real pain to wait for it to load, put up with the frequent crashes, and not have the scrolling and navigation features we have grown accustomed to on webOS).

Although I have never used an iPhone, my understanding is that among the many titles in their massive app store are quite a few medical apps also. It would be nice to see as many of these as possible come to webOS as well.

Thanks for posting!
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    I also really like the idea, but it would have to be VERY carefully moderated to stay on topic, as too much roaming off topic could be dangerous (literally) and maybe even create some serious liability for the forum.
    I certainly would be willing to help moderate, although it would be nice if I were not the only one.

Agree with your concerns. Any specifics which would violate HIPAA or similar privacy laws would be a definite no-no. Also would definitely not want to stray into political discussions. We have the off-topic forum for that.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    LOL! I could mod, spent many years working on a forum like this and I currently work answering questions and moderating on a prescription drug website as my full-time income!!!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Both are great points. I have seen some sub forums in the past that would have a disclaimer at the top of the sub forum. It could also be included at the top of any thread started. With that everyone would be reminded that the topics and posts are for thought and not advice. It would have to be moderated and that may be the biggest hangup. With that said I would not mind seeing a medical sub forum though.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Would also love a subforum. I'm an ED doc and a life long Palm fan. Their are multiple iphone apps out that I would LOVE to have on webos and there is always strength/support in numbers
  16.    #36  
    many of the forums here have a sticky at the top with the general guidelines.....
    Well...it isn't medical advice that many people in the medical world are interested in, it is medical references. Epocrates and Lexi-comp are invaluable resources for a practicing physician. The shear amount of information that a physician is required to know is growing every day and frankly it is impossible to keep all of it straight. Using fast reference tools that are on your phone/pda/computer is how the medical world is beginning to function.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    I'm currently busy with my boards right now, but would definitely be interested in participating in a medical subforum here at P|C. I think there is enough interest here and the traffic for such a forum is justifiable given there really isn't any other place in the internets for medical orientated webos discussions. I'll bring it up with the admin here...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Here's another enthusiastic vote for a medical forum. I was excited to see palmdoc's latest additions: ICD-9 and DSM apps. I'm a community psych in a MHC. My agency's only supporting WinMo phones now, and the ED just got an Android phone. Still no webos love, so I have to use OWA through the browser.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I just got off the phone with ePocrates customer support. I told them we webOS users want not only the native free ePocrates version (which is great), but at least a native Essentials version as well. I moss the ID, lab and Dx sections. Frankly, ePocrates runs poorly on Classic which I bought day 1 6/6/09 for my release day Pre. Very hard to update w/o crashing Classic, and too slow. I told the Epocrates rep that there may be a Medical subforum forming here and that there are many Palm webOS loyalists here. He said ePocrates is still analyzing webOS to see if it would be profitable for them to continue to develop for webOS. I told him with HP's purchase of Palm that there should be more marketing muscle and development dedicated to webOS and Palm smartphones in particular. I hope ePocrates will continue to actively develop the webOS version and expand more into the premium versions that many of us would be happy to purchase.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast