Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I love pReader as it allows me to read my books from ereader.com. However, the ereader website appears to be dying out. So I tried Kobo again.

Every night when I start to read a novel, it takes me back to Chapter 1 -- and I have to figure out exactly where it was I stopped reading. Surely this is not the way that the app is suppose to function. Is it?

Anybody else have this issue?

How can I get a Kobo book into pReader? That would be the best solution.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    I'm trying Kobo for the first time and have mixed feelings.

Swiping side to side feels odd. Often in the act of holding the phone, I accidently turn the page with my thumb.

I tried this method of navigation in my app which is essentially a dedicated eReader for my sci-fi anthology. Extensive user testing (well, showing it to a couple of people...) showed that vertical scrolling is more intuitive to folks who have used touch screen phones for any length of time. I tested with non-Palm users since I only know one other person who has a Pre... :-(

Since my stuff is all short fiction, I stuck with vertical scrolling and just remembering where you were when you left the page. That way whenever you come back to a story, it just lands at the spot where you were last.

On the Kobo reader I also find annoying delays when I hit a new chapter. Even if I tell it to "download to device". I'm guessing this is the time it takes to format the text into page size chunks for the horizontal scrolling.

If I don't download to device it is super slow. I understand that, but hate it...

If I have to always set a bookmark when I finish reading, then navigate back to it when I return, then I won't be able to read a whole book on Kobo.

My guess is that since this is considered Beta software for them on Palm, they may fix it in later releases. I just hope they get enough users to warrant later releases...
    Original science fiction, fantasy and comics for WebOS - Galactic Beacon: Volume 1
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I got a response back from KOBO...
    ------
    The Kobo eReader always bookmarks the page you last read. When you open the book
    again, you are returned to the same place where you last left off reading.

------
    Does this actually work for anybody? For me, every night when I open my book on Kobo, it opens to page 1 -- and I have to spend a few minutes trying to figure out where I left off...
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mapenn View Post
    I got a response back from KOBO...
    ------
    The Kobo eReader always bookmarks the page you last read. When you open the book
    again, you are returned to the same place where you last left off reading.

------
    Does this actually work for anybody? For me, every night when I open my book on Kobo, it opens to page 1 -- and I have to spend a few minutes trying to figure out where I left off...
    Hmm. I did some testing of that claim and it doesn't work for me at all.

In fact, it doesn't remember where I was if I go to the table of contents. Or back to the list of books.

I'm thinking they have a bug they don't realize...
    Original science fiction, fantasy and comics for WebOS - Galactic Beacon: Volume 1
    yup it doesnt work.

i havent even figured out how to go back to the bookmark. Anyone?
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    no I can't figure out how to get to my bookmarks either.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Is there any way to get a Kobo book into pReader?
    agree...i can't get it to work
    do you actually bookmark before you close the app.?

if you do it should open to where you bookmarked.
    bookmarking works for me. Auto bookmark does not. I think it did when the app first released.
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    bookmarking works for me. Auto bookmark does not. I think it did when the app first released.
    bookmarking works for me, but the problem is the little bottom menu that allows one to create a bookmark disappears after several seconds and i don't know how to get it back again.

Anyone know?
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    bookmarking works for me, but the problem is the little bottom menu that allows one to create a bookmark disappears after several seconds and i don't know how to get it back again.

Anyone know?
    Touch the screen and hold for 2 seconds. This will bring back your options bar. This time though it will be stuck so to clear it from your screen touch and hold on the screen again for 2 seconds.