Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 14192021222324252627282934 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kernelsandirs View Post
    @christophl87, was not trying to steal your code and claim it as my own, I apologize if that is what it seems, you have provided an Open Source project that I was hoping to utilize "Open" parts of in order to solve the OAuth issue I was having, it appears you are using OAuthSimple as I have used several times in the past as well, I have had Latitude on my list of features for a very long time so it is certainly not something where I was trying to steal your thunder, just trying to provide a full featured app. In any case I have removed latitude from my app until you and I can either come to an agreement or I create my own implementation. I apologize if I offended you by utilizing anything that may have been your parts accessing OAuthSimple or other.

I do respect your work, and license and was working to get a working implementation of latitude while my app is still in beta. but I am not currently sure what parts outside of the OAuthSimple.jsjsjs $and$ $the$ $Patch$ $by$ $xanthinealkaloid$ $that$ $was$ $yours$ $that$ $I$ $may$ $have$ $included$, $again$ $I$ $apologize$, $and$ $if$ $you$ $choose$ $to$ $I$'$d$ $would$ $certainly$ $like$ $to$ $talk$ $about$ $how$ $we$ $could$ $help$ $each$ $other$.
    So, the update I just noticed has disabled Latitude support? ;-( Too bad.

I was going to ask if the Latitude Avatars (mine and Friends), can be shown as well? ...but, I guess now, it's a moot point.
    I am going to put it back just sans christophl87's code to avoid any confusion or license issues. Unfortunately google latitude api does not allow me to gather friend locations, so in the end the only real implementation google allows is updating and seeing your own past locations :-(
    Last edited by kernelsandirs; 09/03/2010 at 10:08 PM.
    I am going to put it back just sans christophl87's code to avoid any confusion or license issues.
    I don't understand what's the problem with adding one line in the documentation and source saying that a little of the code origins from me. It does not affect the license of your code in any way, that's why i chose a bsd license.

Nevertheless, I contacted the author of the "OAuth for webOS" library and send my changes to his library which are required for using the latitude api. You might want to keep track of his git (http://github.com/fillito/WebOS-OAuth) as i hope he might add those changes. With the library and it's changes it should be easy to implement latitude in your app.
    Well I guess since I did not release the source, or any documentation it causes confusion (at least for me), I can read legal-ease just fine, but that certainly does not mean someone can't turn around and have a completely different view of what the license says, I am not going to hire lawyers in order to use snippets of useful code. Anyway that said.
    I really appreciate your work, and releasing it as open source is awesome, your app is very useful for latitude users. Since I cannot really gather friends data via Google's API it may be better to leave it out of BFG Maps altogether after re-thinking it's usefulness in the app. I would really push for it if Google allowed access to friend data but I know why they don't. Latitude users are much better off using @christophl87's Latitude Updater App.

Does anyone else disagree that it may be best to leave latitude out of BFG Maps altogether? since it google only allows update, and get your location only, not the location of your friends? the only reason you can see your friends when using the latitude launcher app is because the api calls are all contained within the official app, and are not exposed to the user.
  5. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    Does anyone else disagree that it may be best to leave latitude out of BFG Maps altogether?
    For me personally, latitude means nothing, so it makes no difference to me.

Does anyone else disagree that it may be best to leave latitude out of BFG Maps altogether?
    i can def live without it
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!
    Just a heads up. I've been using BFG Maps daily on my drive from San Diego, CA to Orlando, FL. It has been very useful.

Thanks,
    Manny
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannyman View Post
    Just a heads up. I've been using BFG Maps daily on my drive from San Diego, CA to Orlando, FL. It has been very useful.

Thanks,
    Manny

Hey Manny,
    Good to hear! By the way I consider you one of my biggest supporters :-) as you were quite instrumental about getting the word out about the app, and I greatly appreciate it.

As well as Neve and the rest of the folks that have donated and helped spread the word.

I took a couple days off but I need to get back to it, gonna go review my to do list and see what sounds good to work on next. :-)
    It is based on displaying, as well as clicks, clicks pay a lot more, but all-in-all I am not making hardly anything with the ads yet like $0.25/day if it does not improve it is useless to keep them(of course I don't know how many people updated to a version with ads yet)
    Wow, it seems like google has you in a no-win situation. Either you pay them a king's ransom annually, or take ads. But at least for now, when you take ads, you get bupkis. Is there no option in-between?

P.s. I haven't seen any ads, not that I miss them. Not in preferences or anywhere else. I'm running v1.0.52
    BTW, I've been meaning to post a suggestion/request for the Alt Nav layer. Instead of lining up four arrows across the lower-left, how about putting eight of them on the perimeter. The ones in the four corners could put point 45-degrees out (i.e. the one in the upper-right would move the map to the North and West). The ones in the middle would be straight, so the one in the middle on the right side would move the map to the east.

Not sure what other users think of that idea...
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKinsman View Post
    BTW, I've been meaning to post a suggestion/request for the Alt Nav layer. Instead of lining up four arrows across the lower-left, how about putting eight of them on the perimeter. The ones in the four corners could put point 45-degrees out (i.e. the one in the upper-right would move the map to the North and West). The ones in the middle would be straight, so the one in the middle on the right side would move the map to the east.

Not sure what other users think of that idea...
    I like it, the current way is crammed and is not easy to use. I will make them a bit transparent and small enough not to take up much room, maybe a key toggle.
    @RJKinsman I added the 8 button nav in the corners, in 1.0.53 for you!
    however My Pre emulator died so I am stuck with my pixi and pixi emulator and I am sure the the positioning is messed up at the moment, but I will fix soon. :-)
    As far as Ads go I have had 7,500 impressions and made $2.06 which tells me ads are probably never the way to go, probably going to remove them soon unless I can find out why they stink so bad.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    <<Does anyone else disagree that it may be best to leave latitude out of BFG Maps altogether?>>

I guess I'm alone in wishing Latitude support could be incorporated in BDGMaps, but if Google won't allow it to work, I guess I'm S.O.L.

People Finder works well, but I was just hoping one map app could "do it all".

Like google Maps does on iPhone and Android devices.... (sigh), maybe someday...

Thanks for giving it a shot, though.
    <<Does anyone else disagree that it may be best to leave latitude out of BFG Maps altogether?>>

I found it useful. I had the app open for directions and it made it simple to mark my location and find it later on a different computer (Latitude history). Maybe an option to display/use it?
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    I don't use it and can't imagine using it, but as long as it's implemented in such a way that I can disable it and have it be completely out of my way and out of my sight, I don't have a problem with it being in the app. I do think that if the API only allows you to implement it in a half-assed way, it's probably more trouble that it's worth, and I would probably think that even if I did use Latitude.
    @RJKinsman I added the 8 button nav in the corners, in 1.0.53 for you!
    however My Pre emulator died so I am stuck with my pixi and pixi emulator and I am sure the the positioning is messed up at the moment, but I will fix soon. :-)
    Got it, thanks! Looks good so far. Can't wait to try it on the way to work today.

Yeah, the position is a little low on the screen, but it works. Also, it kind of shades the screen, so you want to turn it off. Some kind of quick toggle would be nice. For now, the menu will suffice (easier than the toolbar).
    check the Web OS 2.0 screenshot of google maps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    check the Web OS 2.0 screenshot of google maps.
    Looks about the same, not sure what the offset GPS data is unless it is for aGPS support.