Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021222324252631 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kernelsandirs View Post
    I think the issue with charging for it would be my use of Googles APIs and their licensing seems to suggest I can place ads but cannot charge for the app because I need to keep the app free and open to all users while using their API unless I pay like $10,000/year (NOT!)

I guess I can email Google and ask, I don't like ads I never look at them and most people won't as well, but if I can get paid by the impression it could be useful, if google is cool they will let me charge a buck or even 50 cents would generate enough to make it successful(financially speaking)

my goal with the app is not to make a ton of money, I really like doing this, but would like to make at least enough to buy a Pre, since this pixi standard I have bites not being able to play any good games :-(
    With somewhere around 2.5 million Pre/Pixi webOS users out there, if you sold 1 million apps at $2.99.... well, even when Palm/HP takes their cut, !0 grand is "chump change". ;-)

... and this app, when finished, will be worth every bit of $2.99.

I say, go for the ton of money thing.... you've earned it!
    yeah but he would have to pay up front lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    There are plenty of banks who would give a loan for a lousy 10 grand, on the very real probability of hundreds of thousands, or, more likely, millions in profits. (Heck, just show the download count of the beta app... even at a buck a pop, that's some pile of cash!))

Once webOS numbers start reaching 7-10 million users, selling 1-2 million units of a really useful, fun, interesting app is a very real possibility...

I think that cloudhopper app for the iPhone sold something like 7 million units .... now your talking the kind of money the US DoD wouldn't sneeze at! ;-)
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    There are plenty of banks who would give a loan for a lousy 10 grand, on the very real probability of hundreds of thousands, or, more likely, millions in profits. (Heck, just show the download count of the beta app... even at a buck a pop, that's some pile of cash!))

Once webOS numbers start reaching 7-10 million users, selling 1-2 million units of a really useful, fun, interesting app is a very real possibility...

I think that cloudhopper app for the iPhone sold something like 7 million units .... now your talking the kind of money the US DoD wouldn't sneeze at! ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post

or you could get a loan and loan it to him lol ltm, just sayin.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    I've got my own business to run, if he's resourceful, he'll be fine. He's one talented "kernel" ;-)
    lol yeah hes doing well with this app .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    It would be great if BFGM could have an option to "remember" all settings/layers that were on when the app was closed. I always select the hybrid map view and traffic layer as soon as the app loads.... ;-)
    Mine did that till I updated it...and Streetview always worked...but saving zoom setting on exit would be awesome too. It just keeps getting better.
    Last edited by copasetic; 08/16/2010 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Stupid Prē keyboard.
    OK how about someone port my app to PDK with me and split the $100,000 then I can afford the 10k for google :-)
    i have a suggestion. can the map auto zoom when approaching a turn when using direction.
    The reason for my suggestion is cause this weekend i used this app for my trip but i end up using this plus google map also, cause when i get close to an intersection to turn there was alot of streets that is close together so i used google map that was zoom in and bfgmaps for directions and traffic.

btw this app is looking better and better everyday.
    thank you.
    @ecrecr this release 1.0.42 is for you! :-)

remember last open layers pref

BTW this build number I wanted to do something special for on account of it being the answer to life, the universe, and everything. But this will have to do for tonight, didn't get a lot of sleep last night :-(

Lets see whats on the menu for tomorrow :-P

Tim G.
    Keep getting a warning "No streetview images found...", but then it will show me a streetview where all I can do is turn around in a circle.

then if i go to a different spot, i get the same warning, a streetview with the forward and backward nav buttons, but the buttons get chopped into smaller pieces (not circular anymore)
    kernelsandirs,

Great job. I have a suggestion that may provide a balance between detail and data load. If a setting was added to support a speed sensitive zoom, then the map could back off when travelling fast, and avoid frequent page changes, but when travelling slowly, you could have good detail, which would also help when following directions.

Just a thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Keep getting a warning "No streetview images found...", but then it will show me a streetview where all I can do is turn around in a circle.

then if i go to a different spot, i get the same warning, a streetview with the forward and backward nav buttons, but the buttons get chopped into smaller pieces (not circular anymore)

"No streetview images" msg comes up when you move a spot and click streetview, bfg asks google are there any street view images here? if it responds ZERO_RESULTS, that should mean there is nothing to display as far as streetview goes.

Can you tell me an address you think should be working but is not?
    Quote Originally Posted by kernelsandirs View Post
    I think the issue with charging for it would be my use of Googles APIs and their licensing seems to suggest I can place ads but cannot charge for the app because I need to keep the app free and open to all users while using their API unless I pay like $10,000/year (NOT!)

I guess I can email Google and ask, I don't like ads I never look at them and most people won't as well, but if I can get paid by the impression it could be useful, if google is cool they will let me charge a buck or even 50 cents would generate enough to make it successful(financially speaking)

my goal with the app is not to make a ton of money, I really like doing this, but would like to make at least enough to buy a Pre, since this pixi standard I have bites not being able to play any good games :-(
    Wow, pretty disappointing. $10K once, I can see. But annually? I have a hard time seeing even a great app like this sustaining more than $10K per year.

Given that, I'd support what you propose -- leave it in beta state perpetually ad-free, and put ad-supported in the App Catalog, and see what you get.

Question, though, and you may want to sek some legal advice on this, if you leave it ad-free perpetually in beta, would that technically be a violation of your licensing terms with Google?
    Oops broke streetview on ...43
    1.0.44 fixes it, basically when you move the map now, if streetview it not available for the center of the map, the SV button is gone, it will only appear if there is some imagery available.

I am going to make my own version of the pegman soon, since the real pegman code does not work properly.
    Awesome app.

Any thoughts on enlarging the type on the button labels or changing the blue background? I find the white type on the medium blue background very hard to read. Black type on a light blue background might help or make it skinable!
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    Awesome app.

Any thoughts on enlarging the type on the button labels or changing the blue background? I find the white type on the medium blue background very hard to read. Black type on a light blue background might help or make it skinable!

Well I have a couple people that have asked if they can help with graphics, and I have one person in Germany that seems to really want to help so I am waiting to see some images etc..

One of the issues I have with getting help is worrying about copyright material of dealing with royalties, since I don't really make anything off of this app, except for a few greatly appreciated donations, I cannot afford to pay someone. so the German friend is going to release the images as creative commons on a site so I can gain access to the images free of licensing worries.

I am currently not spending any time making the GUI look pretty(which seems to be one of the big complaints for some reason) I want to add all the functionality that most people want first, so I just make ugly place holders that work in he meantime. I certainly do not want to make it sound like I don't want a nice GUI, I really do but my time is best spent on the code at the moment.

Hopefully one(or more) of the graphics people that offered to help pull through, then we could see some updates in that dept.

:-)
    oops ..44 broke also well if you are in streetview and basically hit a dead end the check for more images finds none and the button goes away thus leaving you stuck in streetview mode staring at a dead end :-(

should be fixed now update...
    Good morning. Great progress. I notice when I type an address you have to hold the orange/white key to have it type a number first then double tap again to get it lock. I searched and the little box showed the number 3 I assume that meant three fund but I had no way of pulling up the results. On pre now but will post pic when I login to a desktop.